The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Robert. That is a cool idea for those who need a real head on a small boat.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
+ I like the square window vs. the round one.

- I don't care for the cutout for the berth. Compared to a C-Dory, you lose the "counter" space above the berth and the berth is less cozy and private.

Your last statement is interesting, And you are entitled to your well considered opinion. Please don’t take offense, but I think it depends on how claustrophobic one is. We feel better in an open space that feels spacious as opposed to being confined in a small space as in the C-Dory. On the other hand, it is probably easier for you to go in and out of the V birth as opposed to our having to crawl in and out on our hands and knees which is harder as one gets older. The bulkhead on the Marinaut, though narrow, still serves well as a shelf when in port. If I were the company, I would not change the birth arrangements. It is one of the best features of the boat. And isn’t it great that people have a choice: If people want a closed in private V birth, buy a C-Dory, otherwise choose a Marinaut.

As for the round window— over the seven years we’ve owned the boat, many people have said that it is the most distinguishing and pleasant feature. Again, if I were the owner I wouldn’t change anything. People could always buy C-Dory.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not offended.

My wife used to call the berth on our 22 the "crypt", now it's "cozy". We have the reversible navigator seat, but we've never put it the forward facing position. In the Marinaut shown, there is no reason to have a seat in an aft facing position which would kind of block the berth cutout.

Neither of us are spring chickens. Getting in and out of the berth helps keep us limber.

To each their own.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
oldgrowth wrote:
The motor well was deliberately kept small

Dave, from your perspective as builder what would it take to make it even smaller as in not there. Replaced by a full transom with the motor/motors mounted on a hull extension or Armstrong bracket? That is one of the many things I like about the Rosborough.

Regards,

Rob

Rob - the Marinaut was designed so when you have 400 to 500 lbs of engine on the stern the boat would sit level in the water. If we had a hull extension it would no longer be a 22ft boat. We would have a 24ft boat with no more room than the 22ft. An armstrong bracket would shift the center of gravity farther to the stern & make the bow ride high at slower speeds. At high speed you can trim the bow down but at slower speeds you don't have that ability.
________
Dave
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
Hello Dave,

My wife and I are so happy for you that you secured a way to get the Marinaut back into production and with such a good boat builder. We are now enjoying our eight season with our boat, and what would we change about her? -- let us think on this for a few seconds: NOTHING!

Betty and Rich

Rich - thank you for your comments. We have no intentions of changing the Marinant. We may offer some additional options but the plan is to continue to build her the way she was originally designed.
________
Dave
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for your insight. I suspect then if you were to put twins on a bracket combined with the low deadrise, increased weight and new COG its wake would be dramatically increased when running in no wake zones.

Love watching the wakes from different boats. That's one thing I love about the R21.

Regards,

Rob

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave- That Marinaut is one beautiful boat. Thanks for hanging in there. I wish you every success. It is well deserved.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the compliment Marty. It has been a long process but I am not ready to give up on the Marinant. I believe Ricardo is the person that will finally make it a successful line of boats.
________
Dave
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (Marie and I) had the pleasure of a visit by Ricardo Ruelos at "Camp Thataway" today. I believe that Richard is sincere in bringing the Marinaut Cape Dory and the 25, 20 and 33/34 (Marie fell in love with the 34 extended cabin--no we didn't order one).

Ricardo brings a lifetime of small and large power boating expertise to the table for the Marnaut 220 production. He is passionate about the boats. As noted he had a lot of input into the Reynold's production, and it appears that that he is responsible for the resurgence of the 25.

We talked about a number of factors which would make the boats better cruisers and lower maintenance. we discussed air conditioning, window styles and installation, solid fiberglass, or other solid materials under deck cleats, or any thru hulls. That any opening in a cored hull, even foam, needs to be sealed. Hulls were be foam core. Vinyl Ester Resin would be used in the hull, at least the outer layers. It appears as if Richard has excellent builders lined up to start the production runs. They would like to have a boat at Hontoon, St. John's River gathering next March. The Mississippi gathering would be too much of a push!

Richard affirmed what i had been told about the costs to have professional molds built for a 25--it would be in the $385,000 price range, after a CAD drawing of the lines by a naval architect were submitter (another $250,000 or more). That would not be practical. But I am assured that all of the molds were in great shape, and a Marinaut type of interior would be installed in the 25 Cape Dory hull. All boats will be outboard powered (instead of diesel inboard as in the Cape Dory power boats.) There is a strong Cape Dory owners group--although most of the Cape Dorys are sailboats, power boat Cape Dory owners are welcome.

The boats will be custom built as per order. Quality materials are to be used. Marie and I agreed to be available to bounce ideas off of as the boat progresses.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to build a Marinaut?
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brent,
We discussed this. Ricardo will be using a hull laminator who he has worked with before initially. The shop is all set up--and making the mold parts maybe takes a week, if that is all they do--set up, polishing and waxing the mold, setting up the laminate schedule, and I assume resin infusion,, with coring, assuming no new molds are necessary (for example we discussed a full upper inner liner of smooth fiberglass, with some insulation between for the hotter Florida climates).

Then the hull is pulled from the mold, The parts are set together and tabbed/glassed together. (actually best done if the boat hull is still in the mold for stability) Cutouts done. Windows placed (may be changes there), hatches fittings etc. Then wiring, and finish work. With 4 people working that could be done in a a month, IF they had everything on hand, and knew exactly what was needed. With a new boat and new suppliers, there could be significant delays. There is wooden trim, which has to be hand made, and then fitted etc. Upholstery, instrumentation if the boat is rigged at the factory etc. I think that if they got the first boat done in 3 to 4 months, it would be good time!

I believe that Les was having the hulls molded off site (I don't remember the jobber, but they normally did larger vessels, and worked the Marinaut in between other jobs.) Then Les brought the hull and deck to their shop to do the finish work. The first boat takes far longer than each subsequent boat. as I recollect Ricardo felt that one boat a month was a good starting point, then 2, 3 and finally 4. Not a huge operation, and only one model to start. Makes sense, rather than tie up a lot of capitol in trying to do a number of models. Dave may correct this. I had talked with Les about making a 25 back a few years ago.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les was using the Nordic Tug facility for the contract molding .
Marc

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any information on the 25 marinaut? Such as drawings showing the layout, specs, standard equipment? What molds do they propose to use? Are they in existence?

Reading Bob's post, it seems a 25 is in the future without a design but guys lined up to build the hull.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boris,
My understanding is that the 25 will be a 25 Cape Dory power boat, only powered with an an outboard engine at this time. I was under the impression that the Cape Dory 24/28 had round chine, but Ricardo told me the chine was hard, and the boat was a planing boat. I have been aboard and seen a 28 in the shipyard, and that is semi displacement a round chine boat. (confirmed in promotional video by the old Cape Dory Company. However I found one photo of a 28 which had "lifting strakes" added to the chine.

A photo of the 24 Trawler which is definitely a displacement boat: (I was able to locate an original 1983 brochure, and the boat had 30 hp and a sailing rig.

Of the 28 there were about 235 built:

At some time in the future, it may come to the point that a 25 Marinaut would be designed. My understanding is that there is not even a sketch plan at this point. There is some question in my mind what hull is the Cape Dory 25. There was a 24 Cape Dory trawler, with an 8' beam, and a 28' Vessel with an 9'11" beam. We were discussing the beam of the "25" and Ricardo was not able to find the beam or any plans etc on his computer during the time we had together.
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Les was using the Nordic Tug facility for the contract molding .
Marc

Marc - Townsend Bay Marine in Port Townsend did all the fiberglass work for Les & I except for the original Marinaut which was done by John Harum at Tern Boats in Kent Washington.

journey on wrote:
Is there any information on the 25 marinaut? Such as drawings showing the layout, specs, standard equipment? What molds do they propose to use? Are they in existence?

Reading Bob's post, it seems a 25 is in the future without a design but guys lined up to build the hull.

Boris

Boris - there were plans for a 26 foot Marinaut. Les & I had been working on it for sometime before he went to the Phillipines. I still have the drawings and info on it & will try & post it here in a day or so.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: