View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Finally a day on the water! Reply with quote

First off, thanks to everyone who contributes and maintains this site. There is so much valuable information here. After driving to a few thousand miles in March and going out for a quick sea trial upon returning home, then the boat spending seven weeks in the shop, we finally had a day on the water. We love the boat, it's been a long wait, I think I first discovered these boats several years ago, after waiting so long to get one, whats a few more months huh? Well it was killing us, lol.

We spent about 11 hours out on the water and put about 5 hours on the Honda. It was overcast with a few pop-up showers with 2ft waves, great day for the boat. For our sunset cruise back to the landing everything smoothed out and we had a blast. It was nice to have some smooth water as the only other time we went out right after getting the boat was a small craft warning. My daughter isn't a fan of the "bumps".

We did make a few mistakes and banged up the boat a little, luckily no one got hurt. The worst being that I forgot to latch the trailer on the ball. The locking mechanism is more like a knuckle than the lever you usually see, I dropped the trailer on the ball and put the locking pin in without ever rotating the latch. I didn't realize it until towing about 26 miles round trip to the landing and back, including interstate. It could have been tragic. Luckily theres a good bit of tongue weight on the ball. I don't understand, I've been towing trailers my whole life, first time for that, phew. I also forgot to put the plug in, nothing like going back to the cockpit to start the boat and finding a ft of water Sad compounded by the fact that I had just unhooked the winch cable, which was also a mistake, note to self, start the engine first. That about covers it except that my daughter thought it would be cool to pick up the fender while docked, the boat banged the rub rail and caused about a 6" section to separate about ⅛'' from the boat. Add that to the fall projects. I also need to pull the boards that sit just forward of the fuel tanks. The screws on the ends have pulled up from the cockpit floor, exposing the core to water. I'm going to get that fixed after our next trip this week. We're going camping for the week at a great campground right on the ICW. It's just inland of one of the largest reserves on the East Coast. I'll leave you guys with some pics and a reminder to not forget to latch your trailer tongue.

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful boat, pics and story. Thanks for sharing.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations getting the boat on the water and really enjoying the day--despite a few bumps along the way~! Great for the kids!!!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed your sharing. Alls well that ends well. Love to see kids enjoying the boat with parents or other family & friends.

Jay

Snider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, I forgot one amusing incident. While we were out my sister called, and upon hearing we had the boat out wanted to join us. They live on the side of the harbor we were anchored on so I told her I’d meet her, her husband and two kids at a waterfront park not far away and she suggested that they could swim out to the boat. All went well, I anchored in about 4 ft and they proceeded to wade about 30 yards out to the boat. The kids loved it. As we were upping anchor and motoring away we all realized that the park had a dock about 20 yards away 😂.
Snider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, I forgot one amusing incident. While we were out my sister called, and upon hearing we had the boat out wanted to join us. They live on the side of the harbor we were anchored on so I told her I’d meet her, her husband and two kids at a waterfront park not far away and she suggested that they could swim out to the boat. All went well, I anchored in about 4 ft and they proceeded to wade about 30 yards out to the boat holding their belongings and a few bags over their heads. The kids loved it. As we were upping anchor and motoring away we all realized that the park had a dock about 20 yards away 😂.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably needed to wash out the cockpit anyway! I've done that before, and no harm done. All that is par for the course with a new boat. Once you've done it a few times it will be like clockwork.

We were those people recently too. Normally I use a sling to launch the boat near home, but we recently towed down to the St john River to launch in Deland FL. Its a nice ramp. I backed the boat in like I would normally do on our previous boats, and let out the winch. As the boat slid down the trailer, the anchor hung up in the bow roller and got stuck! Meanwhile a small crowd is gathering, lol. A bit of head scratching and I let out the windless, got the boat tied to the dock and dealt with the stuck anchor. That wont happen again, but was bound to happen the first time.

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed it!

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good sir! Where is that bridge in the 2nd pic? Almost looks like 2 pyramids! Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Snider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Charleston Reply with quote

It’s in Charleston SC, supposedly the longest single span suspension bridge east of the Mississippi. Although I feel like every large bridge has some claim to fam, lol.
CraigJ

City/Region: mount pleasant
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you anchored? The shot with the Cooper River Bridge in the background? I live over in Mt. Pleasant, I have a little 17.5' CC for now, but a C dory is next on the list. Hopefully I'll see you out on the water. If you see a little blue scout with a red headed giant waving at you, that'd be me.

Dilly Dilly!
Snider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: No Name Is Reply with quote

We're right between Ft Sumter and Ft Johnson. I've heard it referred to as No name island. Just to the left of the boat is Ft Johnson. My wife found a ton of black sea glass over there. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Snider

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Two years later, happy to say no more bumps or mishaps, glad we got those out of the way!

What a great two years it's been. We've been out on the water every month in-between except 2, one for maintenance, one where work got in the way.

One area we need to improve is that we've only had 3 separate overnights. I'll say it's been pretty comfortable for the 4 of us which was my biggest concern.

We've been out on 42 trips, 27 last year, 15 this year so far with about a month to go (man we gotta catch up huh) Didn't help boat ramps were closed during the best weather window here. It's interesting thought because my perception is that our use has been about the same. We've put 150hrs on the engine.

We've made the boat a lot more usable adding upgrades here and there with repairs as needed. Looking forward to many more years.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great on the constant usage, and being back on the water! Hopefully no more ramp closures!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you are using the boat. Enjoy.

I went through your photo album looking for a better pix of the black flag. Curious what it is, If it's custom, where you got it? How old?

Thanks and have a great time. Stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Snider

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,
It’s actually dark Blue, it’s the SC state flag. Got it from WM.
Brandon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: