The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Marinaut Update Reply with quote

I have entered into an agreement with Madison Bay Holding for the production of the Marinaut pilot house boat. The company is owned and operated by Ricardo Ruelos who was Executive Vice President and a shareholder of C-Dory Marine during a successful and productive period from 2000-2005. Ricardo exited the company in 2005 and was hired back in 2007 to assist with a restructure that managed to save the C-Dory brand. Ricardo and I have been working together over the past years to move the Marinaut molds to Florida where he has established an infrastructure and manufacturing base to begin producing the Marinaut 215 (now branded as the 220). He has added additional models of 25 ft, 33 ft and 36 ft Cruisers to his line of boats.

The Marinaut and all boats will be marketed under the Cape Dory Cruisers brand as Ricardo acquired the trademarks for Cape Dory after completing his involvement with C-Dory and the investors at the time, Fluid Marine. The new website is capedorycruisers.com

________
Dave
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eagerly await the upcoming discussion !
Marc

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting development! Thanks for the update Dave. I'd wondered if production was still going on. I've always been a fan of these, after crawling all over these at EQ. Hope to see more of them down here in the Southeast.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
I eagerly await the upcoming discussion !
Marc

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting development. The Cape Dory line has been a long standing trawler and sailboat design line, and now adding the Marinaut, as well as larger boats, including cats.

It sounds like a large undertaking. Hopefully it will be successful.

Marc--are you going to be a dealer?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill need to do more due diligence on the matter, Bob . I have been aware of it for a while. Lots of "vapor" on the website so far.........
Marc
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No, mine is a C-Dory! Cape Dorys are built on the East Coast and mine is built on the left coast!!" I've said that more than once.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the boats are made matters not; what’s great is that more of this type of boat be made. Simple, practical, fuel efficient and offering weather protection. Sensible craft that are good looking too, although that’s secondary in my opinion. As fuel prices keep climbing, I suspect and hope that both companies will do well.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Marinaut Update Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:

The Marinaut and all boats will be marketed under the Cape Dory Cruisers brand as Ricardo acquired the trademarks for Cape Dory after completing his involvement with C-Dory and the investors at the time, Fluid Marine. The new website is capedorycruisers.com

________
Dave

None of this really has to do with C Dory or Cape Cruiser--Cape Dory was a well established brand from 1963 to 1991 (1996 when finally abandoned). What it means is that the new production, when and if it occurs, the Marinaut, which was never a C Dory or Cape Cruiser, will now be known as a Cape Dory Marinaut 220....

Yep, I hear you Marc. Not much of substance so far on the site, as to what exactly will be built. Right now the economy is in a very robust cycle. Another recession will occur, and boat builders will be hanging on by the skin of their teeth...to survive.

There is a building suitable to build fiberglass boats at the address in Sarasota. I had looked up this address in ref. to the 25 CC earlier this year. What it appears is that the name has been acquired, as well as a number of hull and parts molds. Not sure how many of these really represent the original Cape Dory line, but perhaps several models. Molds will deteriorate when left in the weather--I am sure the Marinaut molds were well preserved.

The same thing has been successfully implemented in catamarans, when the name and some molds for World Cat, Caracal Cat, and Glacier Bay were acquired, and then the Caracal, Glacier Bay and World Cat are all produced under the name of World Cat... (along with some innovation and change of the designs.

I wish Dave and Mr Ruelos the best of luck in getting the new business and boats produced.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, you just blew my dream right out of the water! For the last few years I have "planned" on winning the lottery, buying the Marinaut molds, moving them to Ontario, and beginning production here.

NOW what am I going to do with all that money when I win the lottery?

Anyway I'm not one to hold a grudge so I'll just sit here and eat popcorn with South of Heaven and see how the new builds take shape!

Regards,

Rob

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
Dave, you just blew my dream right out of the water! For the last few years I have "planned" on winning the lottery, buying the Marinaut molds, moving them to Ontario, and beginning production here.

NOW what am I going to do with all that money when I win the lottery?

Anyway I'm not one to hold a grudge so I'll just sit here and eat popcorn with South of Heaven and see how the new builds take shape!

Regards,

Rob

That's right Rob! Eating popcorn is much cheaper than buying a new 36' Cruiser or a 42' Cat. I'm gonna put a blindfold over my eyes.
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Marinaut Update Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
oldgrowth wrote:

________
Dave

None of this really has to do with C Dory or Cape Cruiser--Cape Dory was a well established brand from 1963 to 1991 (1996 when finally abandoned). What it means is that the new production, when and if it occurs, the Marinaut, which was never a C Dory or Cape Cruiser, will now be known as a Cape Dory Marinaut 220....

Yep, I hear you Marc. Not much of substance so far on the site, as to what exactly will be built. Right now the economy is in a very robust cycle. Another recession will occur, and boat builders will be hanging on by the skin of their teeth...to survive.

There is a building suitable to build fiberglass boats at the address in Sarasota. I had looked up this address in ref. to the 25 CC earlier this year. What it appears is that the name has been acquired, as well as a number of hull and parts molds. Not sure how many of these really represent the original Cape Dory line, but perhaps several models. Molds will deteriorate when left in the weather--I am sure the Marinaut molds were well preserved.

The same thing has been successfully implemented in catamarans, when the name and some molds for World Cat, Caracal Cat, and Glacier Bay were acquired, and then the Caracal, Glacier Bay and World Cat are all produced under the name of World Cat... (along with some innovation and change of the designs.

I wish Dave and Mr Ruelos the best of luck in getting the new business and boats produced.

I agree with your outlook on the economic cycle. Discretionary expenditure is first to take a hit in a recession. So, perhaps the idea to consolidate manufacturing with a larger entity and take advantage of the cost reductions from an economy of scale is wise.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Good Deal Reply with quote

Glad to see that the this model will be resumed. Was quite disappointed when Les disappeared from the scene - would have been a success, but happy to see a new builder will be resuming the process. Would be a shame to have only a few of those beauties built.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some intresting comments. All I ask is that you give us a chance to build a boat & earn your trust. I don't know the condition of all the molds but I can tell you the Marinaut molds are in excellent condition. When Les went to the Philippines I brought the molds here & they were stored in a barn covered with a tarp until shipped to Florida last year.
________
Dave
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Cape Dory 36 Hull #1 Reply with quote

I owned a Cape Dory 36 - it was Hull #1 and had a hand built interior that set the pattern of the final tooling. Andy V. was in charge in those days and she was built in Taunton, Mass. - we named her "Hotel California". Nice boat and I got to spec her out for use in SoCal - lots of water on board for the girls, CNG bottles for cooking (lighter than air), and the rest pretty much standard Alberg. My best wishes for this venture. Only thing I did not like about the Mariinaut was not having a place for a kicker or twins (I know they had good reasons) and the original round window just looked strange to me,
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: