The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

re-power for a Toland 18-8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: re-power for a Toland 18-8 Reply with quote

A bit of info/input if you will. There is a Toland 18-8 for sale here on our site that has what may be the original 1994 Johnson 70 HP 2 stoke which is just under the max 75 HP plate rating and which likely weighs in under 275 pounds (and perhaps as little as 238 pounds). New TLDI/Etecs at 75 HP are built on the 90 HP base platform and are north of 325 pounds. Likely the next choice is a 50-60 HP which will still outweigh the current older Johnson. I have read the history of the early Toland designs for which the Johnson was just spot on as to weight/HP ratio but I know of no replacement in today's new motors. Any input here? Will the 18-8 take the weight bump to 325+ or is it rebuild someday the older Johnson or take a HP cut to get to a better transom weight? At the asking price on the Toland it is not a low cost boat if the current motor dies. I know you can buy rebuilt Johnsons but there are fewer and fewer mechanics every day who can fix any older motor (but there are lots of parts!). Thanks for the input, this is the best boat forum on the Web by a bunch.
Bob Jarrard
PS: Captain Jim, if you and the blond are reading this, always interested in your input, how long are you going to own two scoots or when does the wife get a second ride of her own??? BJ
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is that all of the C Dory line, were made to be powered with the lighter weight 2 strokes, and most of us have put on larger HP and heavier motors. To get the performance, we then add trim tabs, and foils (Permatrim preferred). The boats run fine with these greater HP / Weight engines. There is a penalty in fuel consumption, and top speeds. The more weight--especially in the stern--there will be consequences. However, the boats continue to be very seaworthy, and relatively economical. I would not hesitate to put a 75 HP Etec on the Toland 8-18. I think it is a really great boat for someone!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 70 Reply with quote

I had seen that the Yamaha 70 was noted as being for pontoon boats but on closer inspection, not necessarily so (but it will cost close to $9K rigged). It is a 253 pound motor which is very close to the older Johnson but it is a four stroke. I agree that an ETEC with Permatrim and Bennets has a lot going for it, not just for life but also for trimas my guess is that an 18-8 has some of the same issues of side to side trim as does the CD19 and CD16.
Bob Jarrard
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

That 18-8 is a cool boat. I'm with Dr. Bob regarding the 75hp E-Tec. 320 pounds, but I would have no issue with that motor on the 18-8.

Regarding the scoots: Joan really likes her PCX. I was going back and forth between the Vespa and a Burgman 200. After getting the Vespa, Joan said, "If you find a B200, I'll take the Vespa"... until she rode it any distance. She likes her PCX better. They are both fun scoots. No plan to sell one at this point.

Good luck with the boat decisions.
Jim
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I owned a Toland 18-8. One of my few life regrets was selling it! I purchased this boat new from the dealer in 1998. This boat was rigged with a 50 hp Honda OB. The 50 hp was adequate for how the boat was used, mainly for day trips and overnight trips in Puget Sound. We keep the boat lightly loaded. If you are planning on extended trips with lots of gear, I would recommend staying with a 75 hp OB.
This boat has the C-Dory DNA with a higher level of fit and finish. Good luck with your purchase!
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 70 and prop it to work for the boat. Should be fine for that hul. We had one on a 17ft lund and it ran very nice up into the 30s.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: