The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Handling a C-Dory in Rough Seas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Handling a C-Dory in Rough Seas Reply with quote

BobArrington wrote:
He said the key is understanding the hull, learning how to trim it and managing the speed.

This is going to be true on any boat - but it leaves out the fact that you need to know your local waters as well. When it gets ugly in Tampa Bay people will run the 6' markers versus being out and exposed in the middle of the bay. Wind direction, tide conditions, weight...all come into play and how you will trim and power through the waves. Only way to really find out is through trial and error.

I have a buddy who knows only one speed - fast. It was a bay boat without seats (you sat on the back raised deck - it was Pathfinder). So he had a steering wheel to hold - passengers didn't; you just used your fingers under the decking where it curved under. No fun...but we were in our 40's so doable (barely).

I had a sailfish 17' CC (Montauk knock off) - plenty of poundings in that boat for a decade. It was a modified trihull.

At 50 I'm done with the poundings...I slowed down, took whatever I could get from mother nature, and avoided going out in the nasty stuff.

Approaching my mid 50's I doubled down on not getting beat up any more by buying a cat (GB2670). That REALLY helped. She's a tank. FWIW - I took her out in 25-28 mph winds to see how she would do (it was supposed to be low 20's)...and she's a tank. Trim here, steer that way...all good. Bit of a cat sneeze. In FL after 3pm you're always 15 min away from a T storm. Better to know how she does than not.

I suspect in my 70's it'll be icw and nice weather only, until then...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who travel the furthest get the most out of the experience and our great little boats! There are a number who have done the long trips--including in those are Colby, Two Bears (Chuck and Penny), (and a bunch of others). It is not only the boats, but the people. We had the privilege of one Friday Harbor gathering--would love to have another some day...
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat can take a lot more pounding than I can. My wife commented again this weekend about my new suspension seats being a great investment. It seems a little cruel to have suspension seats and put in ear plugs (or use my noise cancelling headphones) while the little CD hull gets slapped around, but it allows me to stay on plane a lot more often. Another benefit to the seats is the "unforeseen" wake that appears out of nowhere. I can feel the harmonics building, but before I can throttle back, wham, and I'm over the wake. It's just a loud noise instead of a butt/back pounding.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had more than enough rough days on the water. These days we stay in if the swells are over three feet with short intervals. The day Merry and I took our test drive in the Tomcat was the worst conditions we've been out in together. Merry drove the boat over eleven feet swells. I remember thinking that the boat can handle way more than I could.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Those who travel the furthest get the most out of the experience and our great little boats! There are a number who have done the long trips--including in those are Colby, Two Bears (Chuck and Penny), (and a bunch of others). It is not only the boats, but the people. We had the privilege of one Friday Harbor gathering--would love to have another some day...

Bob, You are right about those who travel getting the most out of their boats, and I'm pretty sure that the reason they do the traveling is becauze they love the boats. And brcause they love the boats, they travel and get more out of them. It is a fantastic cycle. The more it is loved, the more it is used, the more it travels to new adventures. I believed I am truely blessed to have found such a great boat and this (CBRAT) society.

I am still looking forward to my first Hontoon CBGT.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: