New c-dory 16 owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sdcotten

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Sprite
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: New c-dory 16 owner Reply with quote

We are just joining the C-Dory family with the purchase of a 2006 16 Cruiser. I'm excited about adding a depth finder and other tech things but my wife wants to know what others have done for v-berth sheets? Are these just a make your own scenario, or are there actually v-berth sheets available?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are V berth sheets available, but they are expensive. I would suggest cutting down standard or maybe queen--not sure which for the 16. You can take fitted bottom sheets, and place them around the "V" berth cushions. Then pin the excess material in a perimeter, cut away the eccess, and then use the sewing machine to make a new seam--and a much cheaper "fitted" sheet. We generally use sleeping bag on the bottom. It if gets real cold, them we go with that on top. On the 22, we were using queen sheets; on the 25, we will use king. We each have a good size fleece, and that with a top sheet is great for most of our boating except in the PNW.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: New c-dory 16owner Reply with quote

We had a 22 and now a 16 for about 5 years. Our solution has always been a couple of lightweight sleeping bags along with a couple of pillows and pillow cases from Walmart. The Captain likes the idea a lot as it keeps the deckhand (I know my place on this vessel) from stealing the sheets. Works well for us because as you know there is not a lot of space on a 16. So in the daytime we just roll up the bags, stuff pillows in a garbage bag, and pile our gear in the cuddy and not worry about dirtying up the bedding.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My present setup is a self-inflating back packing (aka Thermarest) air mattress and a "custom" sleeping bag. When travelling with my wife, we take two air mattresses. I found that the original foam mattress wasn't all that comfortable and took up precious space (being 3 inches thick instead of 3/4 inch thick). My "custom" sleeping bag is an inexpensive Walmart double bed comforter that I put a few snaps on so that it is folded in half. Plenty wide (too much material at the foot) but I don't care. Wide enough for two people. I take a polar fleece blanket if it might get really cold. No sheets required as the comforter fits in the washing machine.

There is an added benefit to using the back packer air mattress. Many people have noted that if the bedding gets up against the hull there can be condensation that gets the bedding wet. That is definitely going to happen in the peak of the 16 V berth. The air mattresses, being "two wide," run up the side of the hull and stop condensation there. Stopping condensation in other areas requires air circulation.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: New c-dory 16 owner and Thermarest Reply with quote

Marco,
If I read your post correctly, you took out C-Dory supplied pad and replaced it with 2 Themarest air mattresses. And the T-rests don’t stop the condensation but just keep it off the sleeping bags, right? We have a couple of T-rests from camping days and could give them a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: