The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Finally, I'm buying a cdory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry alexander

City/Region: salida
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: raven
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Finally, I'm buying a cdory Reply with quote

Good morning to all, I'm poised to buy a 22 cruiser. I'm considering two boats in Anchorage. One has twin Honda 40's with 400 hours. The other has a Honda 90 with 1300 hours. I plan to troll with the boat. Any advice on the two setups would be greatly appreciated. One thing I'm confused about is the Honda 90 is 4 stroke but carbureted. I guess I'm ignorant of this as I thought all 4 strokes were fuel injected. The boat with the twins is a 2002 and the other is a 2007. Is there much difference in the boats themselves as far as upgrades and construction? I ask all this as I've not actually seen the boats yet. Thanks, Terry
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 stroke and carbureted are not linked. Until the development of cost effective fuel injection systems starting in the late 70's almost all automobile gasoline engines were carbureted. Millions still are. For instance, the engine in your lawn mower is 4 stroke (required by law in most places) and has a carburetor.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Finally, I'm buying a cdory Reply with quote

terry alexander wrote:
Good morning to all, I'm poised to buy a 22 cruiser. I'm considering two boats in Anchorage. One has twin Honda 40's with 400 hours. The other has a Honda 90 with 1300 hours. I plan to troll with the boat. Any advice on the two setups would be greatly appreciated. One thing I'm confused about is the Honda 90 is 4 stroke but carbureted. I guess I'm ignorant of this as I thought all 4 strokes were fuel injected. The boat with the twins is a 2002 and the other is a 2007. Is there much difference in the boats themselves as far as upgrades and construction? I ask all this as I've not actually seen the boats yet. Thanks, Terry

My 2008 4-stroke Yamaha 40s were carbureted. The fuel injected models for Yamaha outboards that size came out in 2009 I believe. So with the Honda's, maybe it's just an age thing.

Martin.
terry alexander

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I feel kinda stupid about the FI and 4 strokes. Need to pay closer attention. I live in Colorado and plan to fly to Anchorage at the end of the month, buy a cdory then drive up in early July. The boat will be used in Valdez for the most part. Any comments on the the performance of the twin 40's? Thanks
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved twin 40s. Turn the boat on a dime. So easy to maneuver in tight marina's.

Martin.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Our good friend Harvey (username Hardee) will extoll on the virtues of twin 40's. If I were in your shoes, if the twin 40's check out with good compression readings and all other signs that they've been regularly maintained and are in good working order, I would choose that option. The low hours and the fact that you can use 1 motor for trolling tips those motors in their favor. You didn't mention if the boat with the 90hp has a kicker motor but I'm assuming not. You can still troll with the 90 but most prefer a kicker set-up. Plus higher hours than the 40's.

The hulls are basically the same after 1987 models so no difference there. But be sure the hulls (deck and transom) are surveyed for water intrusion and find out how the boats we're stored considering they're from Alaska. The 2002 boat won't have the built in cockpit floor that the 2007 has but we had the removeable floorboards on our 2005 that leveled the cockpit deck, a feature we really liked. Just my $.02. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decided.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
terry alexander

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks to all. The 07 with the 90 does have a almost new kicker. That boat is advertised at $39,900. The 02 with the twins is advertised at $46,000. The 02 seems a bit steep. I've spoke with both sellers and from what they are saying, each boat has been well taken care of and seems there are no major issues. Also, I'm waiting to hear back on a boat in Juneau. Not sure what the deal is but the son of the owner is selling it and he has priced it at $29,500. But then I have to get it to Valdez from Juneau. I could put it on the ferry and ship it that way but for added costs of course. Plus, it's a $1100 plane ticket to Juneau. Oh well, Onward thru the fog.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the other features on the two boats? Electronics, windlass, floor in the cockpit--as noted. Autopilot ? etc. I also prefer the removable floor. Some of the fixed floors get water under the floor, and difficult to get out.

The Honda 90 went to fuel injection and larger alternator in 2007--so that engine is either a late 2006 or yearly 2007, before the transition. I have a carburetor on my 2006 90, with 17 amp alternator--the 2007 on had a 40 amp alternator.

Agree, the logistics of the boat in Juneau are an issue.

For me 1300 hours is getting up there--if well cared for it is fine. But I would look vary carefully--this could be a $15,000 cost for a new motor. For trolling the 40's work fine--depends on the speed, but should idle down to about 1.5 knots. If you want slower the kicker would be better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
terry alexander

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, yup, lots to consider. I read about your recent score with the cd25. Well done. I think I would prefer a 25 but decided to start with the 22. Also, I see you're from Pensacola. I recently watch a video of fishing for reds there in Pensacola. I have a older 20' Mako in Port Aransas and love that fishery there. Just don't get there enough. Anyway, those were some rather large Reds they were catching in Pensacola. I hope to head that way someday soon. I appreciate the comments and advice. Sort of a challenge being this far away from all of my favorite places to fish and boat.
Otter

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Huckleberry
Photos: Blueberry
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Buy the 2007 Boat! Reply with quote

As the seller of one of these boats, I have some information and perspective to add to the discussion.

We have done some trolling with the Honda main. It idles nice and slow and has never died running at idle (or any other time). We have a low pitch prop on the boat, and it comes with two other props.

Having a good kicker opens up the option of running the kicker on the tiller arm in the cockpit when trolling, and we have done that some, too. It's a little tight with the family in the boat, but it's my preferred approach to trolling with just one or two persons onboard. On a nice day with good fishing, it's pleasant to be outside and right next to the rods rather than inside at the wheel. The Command Thrust Mercury provides good control of the boat at trolling speeds.

I recognize that the hours on the motor might be a question for the buyer. It was something I thought about when I bought the boat with about 1000 hours on the motor. But I had the motor inspected then and it got a good report, and I feel good about the way I have used it and cared for it since. It has given me zero trouble or concern, and when I ask informed people about these motors I'm led to believe this Honda has a long life yet to live. My boat before this had a Honda 90 from 1997, if I recall the year correctly, and that motor (owned by a friend now) has plenty more hours and is running strong. This 2006 motor is smoother and quieter than the older one. For a serious buyer, I would be willing to tow the boat to a shop in Anchorage for a mechanical inspection of the motor.

The floor has a drain, installed by a previous owner, I believe. I have pulled the plug in that drain each fall when I put the boat in covered storage, and then installed the plug again in the spring when I pick up the boat. I have never had any water come out. But as with the motor, I would be happy to make the boat available to a surveyor.

I like the flat floor. My previous boat was a 1983 Classic with the bare hull for a floor in the cockpit, and while there are good reasons to like that boat, there is always some water on the back deck and it's tricky to clean. My boat has a flat floor and a raised rubber mat that I like. It's secure footing and it keeps things clean and dry.

From what I read here, the Wasilla boat is a nice boat. I think mine is, too. I'm also close to closing a deal on a bigger C-Dory, and as much as I like C-Dorys, two of them is one too many at this point in my life, so I'm motivated to sell my current boat to a new owner who will use it and appreciate it.
terry alexander

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, thanks for that. I think I've made a decision. I'll give you a call later this evening or tomorrow. Headed to a wedding this afternoon. Thankfully not mine. Ha.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry. Yup, you`ve got a tough decision to make. Sounds like John has taken good care of his boat. 1300 hours on a well taken care of vessel and OB are not life threatening.
BUT, as Peter mentioned, I would lean toward the twins. Lots of good reasons for that given the boat is similarly equiped and conditions are somewhat equall. I don't think you would regret that. I also like the solid bottom cockpit floor. That flat floor just allows space for water to sneak on board but that is a personal choice.
Best in your decision, and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry

Just a note to say hello. We used to talk with you at Palm Harbor RV Park in Rockport, Tx. It's been a while since we've been back to Rockport, not since the hurricane last summer wiped the place away. Maybe this June.

Good luck in your search for a C-Dory. We've been owners since the early 90's. We've owned four different C-Dory's, two 22's and two TomCats.

Does the boat in Juneau have a trailer? Ferry it to Skagway, then by road on to mainland Ak.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Major Tom

City/Region: Saratoga Springs
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
Photos: Major Tom
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I have a 2005 CD22 with a 2005 Honda 90, and I added a 6HP Tohatsu kicker in '16. Trolling is great with the kicker, and if you lock the kicker straight you can also steer from the helm, using the main engine (turned off) simply as a rudder. Works surprisingly well. Good luck with your new boat!
1987 Checkmate Enticer (sold)
1986 Sea Nymph (sold)
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2007 Honda 90 is fuel injected, unless it’s been repowered with an older motor, pretty unusual. That’s a good motor, we have the same on our boat and I like it a lot. Fuel injection is a huge advantage over carbs.

We also had a 2003 with twin Honda 40s we put lots of hours on. I’ll honestly say I preferrred the twin motors. Both boats troll very easily so that shouldn’t be a factor. I really prefer the fiberglass interior, upgraded teak trim, reversable seat and raised cockpit on the 2007.

It’s your choice, you’ll be happy with either one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: