The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Emergency/extra trailer lights for a CD22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Emergency/extra trailer lights for a CD22 Reply with quote

All - awhile back when I had the 22, I used to launch out of Edmonds. The parking there is pretty tight and often when I returned, someone would have taken out one of my trailer lights (and only one of 4 people left a note). So... I eventually built a spare set of lights. I bought a set from a local auto parts store and mounted them on pieces of plywood. I drilled holes in the top and bottom of the plywood and attached some rope that would allow me to hang these from the two stern cleats and tie the bottoms off on the D-rings on the boat. I wired a long run (long enough for 22's trailer) to a Y with two flat trailer connectors. One portion of the Y would plug into the vehicle, the other provided an outlet for the plug on the trailer. This would allow me to trailer home with fully functioning brake lights, turn signals and tail lights even when one of the lights on the trailer had been broken.

Anyway, now that I have a Tomcat, the set of lights is no longer of use to me. So, I plan to bring them to the Friday Harbor gathering and give the away to anyone who wants them. First shout, first serve.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several thoughts:

I made a second set of trailer lights, for several of my boats, which were based on 2" PVC pipe. For the Tom cat, it was a "light bar" complete with the 3 clearance lights in the middle signifying the load was over 8' wide. Both tail lights turn and brake lights were there, and easily visible to following traffic. We trapped into the trailer wiring, and then put a a 4 pin plug up high on one of the standoffs, so it would not get wet. We lashed the bar to stern cleats, and "T fittings and a short piece of pipe kept the lights oriented properly. The light bar was stowed in the truck when we parked. (I had someone steal one of my standoff PVC covers at Hontoon--so sometimes you cannot win.)

At some gatherings items are brought for a silent auction. The money is given to a good cause (could even be to help run the web site). There is a lot of fun with the competition of the bidding--some c brats get ride of junk, and some acquire junk.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Light bars Reply with quote

I have been using a light bar for over 20 yrs. They are durable to the salt water environment and versatile to other trailers.
I used a 1" square tubing about 8'-6" long. Spaced the lights for any usage and hard wired about 30' of cord with the plug on the other end. They never get immersed in salt water and that is a good thing. I attach it to the boat or other rig with good quality bungee cords. I run the cord along the top of the gunnel and over t he bow anchor down to the tow rig.
Occasionally I have loaned it out to others when they have light problems.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a spare light set ($20 Harbor Freight) with me when I bought my boat in Campbell River. Sure enough, I couldn't get the lights on my new trailer to work. I didn't trust the magnets on the spare lights to stay on the trailer, so I duct taped them to the stern. I had to use Goop to get the sticky off, but still better and quicker than troubleshooting electrical repair on the road.

I keep the spare in the tow vehicle, as they don't take up much space. I was stopped by WSP for a faulty trailer light and told the officer that I had a spare set just for emergencies. When he saw that, off he went. No ticket, so the lights have more than paid for themselves.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried a set of magnetic, battery powered LED lights for since I started towing SleepyC. Only used them one time when a light failed. They either blink or run steady, but saved my bacon on a long night time tow home once. I carry a set of 4 in each vehicle incase I need them for a roadside stop or emergency. No problems with PD, as it was a light, better than no light, running on steady. And I check my lights often so found the non working one at a fuel stop on the way home.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this one back. I am thinking of adding a light bar for the back of the boat. When towing, the trailer lights are not easy to see so considering adding the bar up above the gunnel height. I would like it to have Stop, Turn and Tail lights and the 3bar (over 8ft wide) center lights. I want this to be operating in conjunction with the trailer lights. Where/how/what is the best place to make the intersection with the trailer wire harness? Also, the current trailer lights are LED, and the light bar would also be LED. Will I need to make any changes on the Tundra for the added light draw, (flasher control etc)?

My thoughts are to have a plug, forward on the trailer somewhere, and lay the line along the stbd gunnel to the light bar.

Thoughts?

PS: Roger do you still have the one you made?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I permanently muted bright LED lights on the Stand offs of the trailer. This puts them above the transom. I tapped into the primary wiring at the trailer frame on each side and ran the 3 wires up inside the PVC stand off. I put the main lights on an oversized 45* L and slipped it over the standoff. I also on each side put a single "jewel" Led--red for stop and yellow for turn, so they can be seen from the side. These lights are very bright--brighter than the trailer built in LED.

Most vehicles are made for incandescent lights, so that the extra LED draw is not an issue.

I also have an "emergency" bar--left over, and still keep it-in case. In that one, it was made of 1 1/2" PVC pipe with "T" which would go on top of the aft lazarettos. I strapped it one with Bungees. That I ran the 4 wire back from a plug in up near the tongue, and along the deck. I used small zip ties to hold the wire in place. Cut when we launched and re tied when going again. Used a regular 4 wire harness, and 4 wire plug setup as you use for the truck.

I used lights identical to what were on the trailer for that. (including the 3 over 8' ICC lights. )

My trailer has the 3 ICC lights, and the truck 5 ICC lights can be seen 360*, but they would be obscured by the boat.

Lots of ways to skin that C Dory.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been considering this as well. When towing it seems that some drivers don't notice the lights on the trailer with the boat loaded above it. I have a set of magnetic towing lights that you would put on a car while towing it. They have a long cable and I have an extension cord for it. One of my projects is to make some type of wooden bracket with a metal base plate on it that I could attach to the rear cleats on the boat. The magnetic base of the lights would then attach to this. This would be much more obvious than the trailer lights and should be visible from further away as they would be about 6 feet off the ground.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this one back becasue it is time to get it off the ground. s I was thinking of starting a new thread named Light bar for trailer and put that into search and found this. My post here is almost word for word what I had written to put into the new thread.

If anyone has pictures of their light bars I would love to see them or get a link to them in your album.

I am debating on the best or easiest or most durable or . . . components to use. What did you use, and why?

And Thanks.

I am considering using on of those full width LED strips that you see on the back of some pickups that light all the way across and then each side half shows brake or blinker.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wide is your trailer and how long is over all length? This is the critical information to know what to put on the trailer by DOT. The lights all of the way across are not DOT spec.

Basically you need stop, and tail lights on each side. Turn on each side (usually same bulbs/LED as stop). You need rear red side lights (one rear on each side--usually combined with stop/tail). Also the amber side marker as far forward as possible. There are reflector requirements also with each set of lights. I also put the DOT alternating silver and red on the tongue and forward parts of the trailer frame in front of forward clearance lights.

If over 80" wide you have to add the group of 3 red lights in the middle These must be 6 to 12" apart.

If over 30' long then you have to add intermediate side lights--mine are on yellow on the forward and red on the back trailer fender bracket. That way they are out side to give an indication of the width. You can also use a combined light on top of the center--red aft and yellow forward.

I don't think anything but sealed LED's make much sense any more. I crimp the connections with an adhesive lined butt connector and then put another adhesive lined shrink wrap tube over that. This keeps the connections water tight.

As in my post below, I have added a set of combination brake, turn and tail lights to the top of the stand-off poles. I have added an extra "turn" signal light which is red facing in the aft quadrant, and yellow facing in the forward quadrant. These are permanently attached to the standoffs. The reason is to warn cars just coming along side that I have the turn signal on--the ones down low are almost impossible to see as you drive up along side, being so low.

See below for what I have done for the "bar", but you still need the trailer market. Now as to anyone enforcing these? If you are stopped for another offense, it is very possible that you could be cited. But it is common sense you want to make the trailer as conspicuous as possible when running at night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: