The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

lake powell and yellowstone lake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpredator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: lake powell and yellowstone lake Reply with quote

hello
interested in the best times to visit these lakes.
would prefer on the cool side of the temp range.
any other info ,tips would be appreciated

thanks
kp
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Lake Powell in the spring or fall. Between those two, fall is my preference: the water is still warm(ish), the crowds are much less. Facilities start closing down there at some of the upper lake marina/stores in the fall.

Yellowstone is a whole different situation - the water there is cold. Ice isn't always off the lake by mid-May (7,700' elevation). Crowds on the lake are MUCH less of a concern at Yellowstone. One good public marina with a ramp and slips at Bridge Bay. Facilities there start closing in September. Depending on how long you want to be there, late August to early September is my favorite time there. Winter can happen by then, so you need to keep an eye on the forecast.

There are portions of Lake Yellowstone that are hand-propelled craft only, and some restrictions about anchoring and going ashore; check with the Ranger Station at Bridge Bay.

Yellowstone is an under-utilized lake facility - part of its charm.

Both are amazing places. Having a trailerable boat like the C-Dory makes them accessable. For a stop in between, consider Flaming Gorge.

That should get you started.
kpredator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just the info i am looking for.
we prefer the quiet times ourselves
thanks for the reply
kp
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yellowstone is a whole different situation - the water there is cold. Ice isn't always off the lake by mid-May (7,700' elevation). Crowds on the lake are MUCH less of a concern at Yellowstone. One good public marina with a ramp and slips at Bridge Bay. Facilities there start closing in September. Depending on how long you want to be there, late August to early September is my favorite time there. Winter can happen by then, so you need to keep an eye on the forecast.

There are portions of Lake Yellowstone that are hand-propelled craft only, and some restrictions about anchoring and going ashore; check with the Ranger Station at Bridge Bay.

I remember catching cutthroat trout in Yellowstone Lake as a kid and with my kids, now grown. I'd usually use a canoe but a C-Dory seems ideal, particularly with a Wallas heater. It was particularly fun to catch them on a fly rod. I understood that Lake Trout were taking over. Is fishing for cutthroat in Yellowstone Lake still viable? I was thinking of taking my CD22 there next year.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
Quote:

I remember catching cutthroat trout in Yellowstone Lake as a kid and with my kids, now grown. I'd usually use a canoe but a C-Dory seems ideal, particularly with a Wallas heater. It was particularly fun to catch them on a fly rod. I understood that Lake Trout were taking over. Is fishing for cutthroat in Yellowstone Lake still viable? I was thinking of taking my CD22 there next year.

This may not be the most current info, but last I heard, cutthroat were catch and release only in Yellowstone. Further south, on Jackson Lake, you could keep one cutthroat and all the lake trout you could catch.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do Yellowstone in August, and Powell after labor day. There will still be PWC, Wake Board boats and houseboats, but as it cools, they tend to diminish. We have been there several Labor day weekends, and we will go way back up in a canyon, several days before, and hang there until the show is over....Then the lake is fantastic. Also after Oct. the facilities tend to cut back. Dangling Rope gives hours from 9 AM to 4 PM after Labor Day, but supplies are not as well stocked. I don't know when exactly fuel is no longer barged in. Water should be available until a freeze. There is a caretaker year around. But also National Recreational area patrols diminish as the winter comes.

The great thing about Powell, is that it is different every year, because of the wate levelr variations and effects of flash floods in the Canyons. We tend to like the South end of the Lake--and up San Juan Arm--less anchorages, but less traffic.

Both are great places to visit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kpredator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks much Bob
we either go early or late to avoid the zoo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: