View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Cabin Shelving Reply with quote

Hi all.... In our Venture model we use a small nylon hammock strung on each side of the main cabin to store miscellaneous food items - things like cookies, chips, bread, granola bars, etc. When empty the hammocks hang at the top of the window line, but when full they hang down obscuring the view both for the passenger and the captain. The hammocks certainly hold in their items though, regardless of rough water.

In the Venture model we actually have pretty good headroom all the way across the beam of the boat. We have been trying to think of a practical way to install a small shelf that runs fore and aft above the window. Perhaps a shelf with a length of about 40-60 inches and a depth of ~6 to 8 inches, or a couple of ~18-20 inch long baskets on each side. We have thought of the obvious material, teak, but there are other creative possibilities as well, not to mention the different sorts of firm-sided baskets like we've seen at The Container Store for example. We have wanted to do this project for over a year but we still have no decision regarding what might be best. For each positive concept I seem to find a negative... Being no closer to making some sort of decision the hammocks remain.

One of the areas that is causing me difficulty is how to competently fasten to the cabin whatever we want to do. Obviously I can screw into the cabin side, but only so deep. I hate adding holes and screws but don't want whatever it is to come down after a few bounces. Whatever we do also has to competently hold its contents and not simply spill them out when we encounter rough water.

Has anyone put up some sort of shelf, basket, etc, above the window line of the cabin? What ideas are out there in C-Brats land for storing lightweight food and other sorts of items up high?

Rob
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob;
I have a 23 Cape Cruiser (Venture) and I would like to do something similar. I found these pics in a search (Long Story's album - I think that this is a 25). I think that the window screws are being used with L brackets supporting the shelves. Not sure if things would fall out in rough seas or not. I also thought about utilizing the screws for the roof handrail mounts, but I haven't measured this out to see if it's feasible. I think I remember looking at pics of a shelf that had it's vertical sides adhered to the roof with 4200, but I can
't seem to find the pic.... I had also thought about headroom when sitting at the galley table (I'm fairly short, so with rough measurements this didn't seem to be a big concern)

Chris
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris... Thanks for posting the photos you found, they prompt some additional thoughts! Sounds like we have a similar interest. Neither my wife nor I are tall so we are also not hindered by the headroom issue. A definite plus. With that said, I am still going to keep whatever we do on the starboard side just in the area of the galley and not over the helm area. A few times we've suddenly been in water that has caused me to hit my head on the cabin top as I came out of the helm seat and in that type of sea condition I don't want any intrusion from a shelf in the vicinity of my shoulder or head. While I certainly don't seek out that type of water we all know it sometimes "happens." If/when we decide and build whatever it is I'll tag a post on this thread so you can see what we did, and put a photo or two in our "Projects" sub-album. Good luck to you with your decision and please let me know what you finally decide... Thanks!

Rob
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One why to attach shelves or simular is use 3m 5200 held in place with hot glue tell it cures. I have teak selves above the gallery in my 25 done that way. Problem is once attached it's literally impossible to remove.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my boat, used, a couple of years ago, it came equipped with SnapTainer containers, running along the port and starboard sides of the ceiling (where Long Story has its shelves) and under the shelf above the windshield.

I have about 16 of these incredibly useful snap-top boxes (you can fit a couple of them in a single track). Average price is $6 or $7 per box and $8 or $9 for the brackets, and they are well worth the money.

This pictures shows the containers, on the right, and brackets on the left with containers removed:

Andy Ryan

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Those baskets really look like a great idea. I remember them from Mystery Bay, and still think they are great. Nothing coming out of those in any rough water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the snaptainers in a few locations on my boat also. I have one in the head on the ceiling to store the TP up high where it can't get wet during a shower. I also store leaders, swivels and fishing licenses in another couple in the port aft corner of the cabin (where they are easily accessible from the cockpit). They are not the most aesthetically pleasing devices but they sure are handy. Also as Harvey notes, nothing comes out of them in rough water.
Ceez

City/Region: South Holland
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea for the shelving. Will take note of those tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: