View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: A new "Thataway" Reply with quote

First the name "Thataway" has been our unique boat name over the last 28 years. We had just closed on our Cal 46 and flown to visit our friends CA and Bettie on their 55' cutter Cannibal. on the Gold Coast of Australia in 1980. On the ham radio one night we were talking with CA, Lowell North (Got to go) Dick Deaver (Out o Here). OK where to? Of course "Thataway". It also partly reflects that Marie and I often have different versions of what happened in our cruising adventures. Thus the fingers pointing in opposite directions in the logo! When Capt. Charlie bought the Tom Cat, he wanted the name, "Thataway"....Thus our next 22 was "Thisaway".. After Capt Charlie sold the Tom Cat-- the name "Thataway" was ours again.

OK--but whats up; a 22, a 25, a Tom Cat, a 22 and now a 25 again? The first 22 and 25 were kept on the West Coast, along with a 3/4 ton van, (crash pad). We would fly to Vegas or LA, and pickup the van and boat--off to adventures.

The Tom Cat was kept at our home in Florida. In 2010, when I had my second cardiac bypass I decided (to Marie's consternation), that I might not make it, so we sold the Tom Cat and eventually downsized to a 22. After a cardiac procedure in Dec 1016, I had improved so much that we began to make more boating plans. After this Hontoon gathering, we decided that a 25 would really make more sense. (Marie was tired of dragging the porti potty out from under the bunk). So we began our search for a 25.

SeaWeed came as close to what we wanted as we could find. We are the 5th owners. We don't know much about the first two, but the 3rd, Ray, did some fantastic upgrades, which we had followed and admired. Paul, who was the 4th and previous owner also made some nice modifications.

Credit is due to Paul and Ruth who sold us the 25 "Seaweed". As we made plans to drive to N. Carolina to see the boat, Paul insisted that we stay with them. Then we found out that Paul is a retired gourmet/executive chef! We had such fantastic meals, so well presented during our almost 3 day visit! Such wonderful hospitality--and great people! Paul re-assured me that he would always be a C Brat--and would welcome visiting C Brats. They were more than perfect hosts!

Why this boat? We had almost bought "Hallelujah" about 4 years ago. She was also a 2007. We like the dual fuel fills. This was the first year of the fiberglass interior, the aft cockpit hatches were molded fiberglass--yes, they still can leak--but the deck rot is minimal. (Still can happen around the inspection ports). We like the drawers, which were under the helm seat. Seaweed, had the sliding Norcold chest refer/freezer, she had the port side of the bulkhead between the cabin and V Berth tastefully removed. There were many modifications which I had done on my prior boats--and those did not have to be done. There was a BM1 monitor system (similar to Victron 700) on the house bank, and there were many electrical upgrades, including all LED lighting. She had a modern 9" display RayMarine chart plotter, depth sounder . 15 years ago, I would not have owned RayMarine electronics--but since FLIR bought the company the quality and technology has vastly improved. We are adding the Quantum Digital Radar and a second chart plotter MFD. I will still have one Garmin display for the AIS, that is a 4" chart plotter, I also use on my fishing boat--the Caracal Cat.

Here was a boat ready to run, with minimal modifications... Air conditioning is always an issue for us. We had used the 5000 BTU window unit on our first 25 and it was "adequate" We use the boats as "Boater homes"--so the marine AC units are not usable. This boat has a very nice system for using the small AC unit from inside, and we will fabricate a hoisting system to get it from under the bunk to the window, with minimal lifting effort. We may pull the water heater, and put in a second chest refer freezer (?). If we do this, there will be a 1 to 2 gallon flow thru heater in the galley. There is no installed stove. We have become fans of the induction stoves--and that will be what we use. Our "NuWave" runs fine on the Honda EU1000i. We may put a permanently mounted EU2000 aft over the starboard side of the splash well, and put in a 2 burner induction unit. A microwave is to come also. There are full covers, including a slant back and full winter cover, as well as Bimini and forward window/hatch shades.

There were some negatives...one was the composting "Air Head"...That was a tough sell for Marie (Thanks Joyce Schulke of C Otter who helped convince her it was 'OK"...) We always have to go thru any boat, and make "our own" changes. First priority today (after we did the boat trailer/parking shuffle) was cleaning the head. We will take everything out of the boat, and do a through scrubbing. Marie still wants an overhead RV air conditioner--we are going to try the window unit, along with Reflectix (bubble/mylar reflective window insulation) and a shade over the boat. The other was that although we thought that the boat had a full camper canvas, it just had screens (nicely done). We think we have a solution with removable window panels, involving velcro and high bond adhesive to clear vinyl panels. This means no zippers, and we can easily roll up the panels and stow them below in an overhead rack.

Now the big one--do we need another tow vehicle? I had towed my son's 25 over the grapevine with my current Yukon XL (heavy duty tow package)--and the 25 is just at the weight limit. So we decided to risk the tow from North Carolina--about 860 miles. No question that towing is harder on a vehicle. We monitor many engine parameters with a Scan Gauge G, as well as the built in digital transmission temp gauge. The only time it was over 200* was basically idling during stop and go traffic. On the highway, it ran 190* to 195*. We run synthetic transmission fluid and change it every 20K mile if towing.(instead of the recommended 40K miles). I have discussed this with my mechanic, and he feels we are safe. The only other issue is that occasionally we rev up into the over 3000 RPM when pulling short grades. Solution: slow down. We towed at 55 to 57 and the truck did well. No sway, no windage issues; l stopping was excellent (trailer had new surge/disc brakes--we will probably switch to E/H). We will do a few more trips-and if any issues, then go to a diesel 3/4 ton. [/b]

Here is a photo of our first nigh aboard at a campground: Great sleep, and another adventure in our lives begins!

s

Of course Thisaway our 22, will be listed for sale, as soon as I get some good interior photos. She is very well equipped and ready to cruise.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob & Marie, what an inspiration for us all. Starting again with another boat & adventure, for sure with you two it isn’t over till it’s over.

Jay & JoLee

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. You're back into a good boat.

I will only point out that what bothered Marie is the reason we own a 25.

Boris
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Marie,

Congratulations on your 25!!

Best wishes for many happy days on the water!!

Larry and Nancy

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: new boat Reply with quote

Bob,
You and Marie are perfect examples for the rest of us Brats.

We hesitate to make a move because we are old or getting there. You just jump right in and get after it. Good on ya and best of luck.

Jack in Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: cd25 Reply with quote

Thataway is back .Congrats on your cd25 find . So you guys have had 2 (25's) 1(Tomcat)and 2 (22's) all you need is a 16 and 19 and you could openup a c-dory lot Hopefully see you this Sept Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on this new Thataway, Bob and Marie! Nice to hear about the up-size - should be a great boat for you two.

Ray is a good guy and has done some very impressive re-fits on his boats... buying one when he is ready to take on another is better than buying new.

Wishing you two many years with this next Thataway!

Jim & Joan
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best wishes on your 25. You will be missed among the 22's. You were a leading light on ideas to make the best use of limited space.

Hank and Pat
Meri Aura
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, you both are an inspiration(is there an echo in here)!! Nice looking boat - love the Honda power. Enjoy and Cdory on!

Regards, Rob

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on this new Thataway, Bob and Marie!...Maybe you could make Catalina this year ? Everyone would sure like to see you..

Yer Pal
Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good wishes. We both believe that one always has to have a plan and dream, no matter what life has thrown at us before. I woke up last night, and realized I made a mistake in the date when we came up with the name "Thataway"--it was in 1990, not 1980....Comes from typing when I was tired... A fresh day, and on to cleaning. (We really should be heading out on the water, but that comes in the next week or two.)

Joel, if we make it to Catalina, it will probably be on my son's 25 cruise ship. We are a 2 C Dory 25 family....As C Dory lot, my next door neighbor made some comment about that to Marie last night....But every time I have sold a boat he has expressed interest, and one of the boats went to a close friend of his, so you never know.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always forward to the next experience. You two are serious about boating to the highest degree. Congrats on the find and welcome back Thataway!

Greg and the girls

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!!!!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy for you. Keep on exploring !!!!
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Bob!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: