The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Deck core moisture and rot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good link--my drum is many years old--most Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, and even WalMart may have both the drum and sleeves. I have a bunch of different sizes--both in the Dremel tool 1/8" shank and the 1/4" drill, or I have a high speed grinder which has a flexible shaft and a direct output mandrel as the Dremel tool. Good to use a motor with variable speed, and you want it fairly fast at times. Get different grit drums. Generally the sandpaper drums last a long time.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m drilling some holes through cored deck for a front Armstrong dive ladder mount. I over-drilled and picked out core foam for ½ inch around the bolt holes as usual.
I’ve always used MarineTex as my thickened epoxy to build the ‘plug’. I have some Six10 thickened epoxy adhesive cartridges, and I called Geourgeon Brothers Inc tech support and spoke to Greg at 866 937 8797 to see if it could be used as the ‘plug’ epoxy, with the advantage of self-mixing, no waste, ‘point and shoot’ accuracy.
He said ‘absolutely, that’s what it’s for’. Some even pump it into a syringe for tiny application lines.
I have had past issues with 100MPH tape and blue tape on the underside failing to hold the epoxy mix. This time I put a small square of alumimum foil over a same size bolt and partially screwed it into the bottom layer of glass. The epoxy will seize onto the foil, not the bolt, which I can un-screw, and drill through the remaining foil for the final bolt-through.
I used a tube of Six10 last opened in Jan 2016, 2015 vintage, and it worked great. The only epoxy tube plug saver that’s ever worked in my experience. Consistency of honey, 42 min set-up time.
I see no record on the site of anyone else using SixTen for over-drill core replacement plug purposes. I say it seems to work great, it’s very neat with no mess, no mixing, no fuss, and it’s the ONLY epoxy other than JB Weld that has a good plug for next-time use that actually works. The only downside I see is it’s more expensive than the gallon mix-it yourself and add colloid options. Even we are on a ‘fixed income’ but SixTen is well worth it for small jobs like making a core plug for a through-deck fastener. As always, your mileage may differ.
I am offering this only because, as far as I can tell, no one else has. Several years ago I asked Bob about it, and he said he personally had no experience with it, and generously offered me some free epoxy and cabosil filler, along with his advice that MarineTex was another thickened epoxy that could do this job. But what a mess trying to get it to go down a small hole and completely fill it!
Consider Six10 for your next core foam fastener plug!
Call ‘em if any questions, fast, courteous, US based tech support!
(How common is that?)
Cheers!
John

Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
I’m drilling some holes through cored deck for a front Armstrong dive ladder mount. I over-drilled and picked out core foam for ½ inch around the bolt holes as usual.
I’ve always used MarineTex as my thickened epoxy to build the ‘plug’. I have some Six10 thickened epoxy adhesive cartridges, and I called Geourgeon Brothers Inc tech support and spoke to Greg at 866 937 8797 to see if it could be used as the ‘plug’ epoxy, with the advantage of self-mixing, no waste, ‘point and shoot’ accuracy.
He said ‘absolutely, that’s what it’s for’. Some even pump it into a syringe for tiny application lines.
I have had past issues with 100MPH tape and blue tape on the underside failing to hold the epoxy mix. This time I put a small square of alumimum foil over a same size bolt and partially screwed it into the bottom layer of glass. The epoxy will seize onto the foil, not the bolt, which I can un-screw, and drill through the remaining foil for the final bolt-through.
I used a tube of Six10 last opened in Jan 2016, 2015 vintage, and it worked great. The only epoxy tube plug saver that’s ever worked in my experience. Consistency of honey, 42 min set-up time.
I see no record on the site of anyone else using SixTen for over-drill core replacement plug purposes. I say it seems to work great, it’s very neat with no mess, no mixing, no fuss, and it’s the ONLY epoxy other than JB Weld that has a good plug for next-time use that actually works. The only downside I see is it’s more expensive than the gallon mix-it yourself and add colloid options. Even we are on a ‘fixed income’ but SixTen is well worth it for small jobs like making a core plug for a through-deck fastener. As always, your mileage may differ.
I am offering this only because, as far as I can tell, no one else has. Several years ago I asked Bob about it, and he said he personally had no experience with it, and generously offered me some free epoxy and cabosil filler, along with his advice that MarineTex was another thickened epoxy that could do this job. But what a mess trying to get it to go down a small hole and completely fill it!
Consider Six10 for your next core foam fastener plug!
Call ‘em if any questions, fast, courteous, US based tech support!
(How common is that?)
Cheers!
John

I have used both SixTen and the System 3 equivalent called GelMagic. I observed no meaningful difference between the two. Both are excellent.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to re-do the trim tab screw plugs and fill in the transducer holes last fall, and opted to try the west Six10 tube instead of buying all the different products and mixing it together. It really is a great product. Ounce for ounce it may cost more for really large projects, but for what I do there is a lot less waste. I only squeeze out what I need from the caulking gun. The down side is needing another disposable tip every time. They're not all that expensive though. A person may still want some neat or un-thickened epoxy for "wicking" the inside of the hole before adding the thickened epoxy such as the six10.

I brought the remaining tube and caulking gun with us on our last boat cruise on the St John recently, "just in case". I didn't need it on the boat luckily, but we did get a ding on one of our paddle boards that needed repair. I was able to patch that up with the six10 without making any mess on the boat, or needing mixing cups, popsicle sticks, cabezol or any of the other junk I would never have brought with me on a trip.

I'm a big fan Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: