The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/20 - 2018 Friday Harbor CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....when it comes to homeless, criminals, dopers, C-Brats...(those terms are interchangeable to me)...

Hahahahahahahahaha Wink
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Catman. Yeah, this thread has woven thru a few other topics! lol.

Quote:
Commercial airline pilot?
Yep Local Boy. Thorough planning and checklists for everything. Then go and enjoy the ride! (Familiarity helps, but if not careful can breed contempt!) Works subbing on School Buses too! And boating excursions... lol. I'm pretty certain in the end everything will work out, I'll have a great time, and I'll wonder why I spent so much time planning and worrying! Mr. Green Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragging this thread back to the Friday Harbor Bash. I'm leaving here in 2 weeks for the drive out, and wonder what kind of schedule is planned! Are there any side trips during the day? Or is most the time spent on the dock and in town? I know of at least one couple (future C-Brats) that are coming to go for a ride, and compare the different C-Dory's! I plan on docking at FH on Thursday afternoon, so will of course try to get one of the better spots! Mr. Green And I might as well warn you now. I'm bringing along a coloring book that I won in a silent auction at the first St. John's River gathering I attended a few years ago, and expect everyone to do some coloring. It's already got 15 pages colored from CBG's I've attended. I've already got two pages in it picked out for this gathering!
Looking forward to meeting many more of you West Coasters, and getting some more "tidal" experience! Colby
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:
....when it comes to homeless, criminals, dopers, C-Brats...(those terms are interchangeable to me)...

Hahahahahahahahaha Wink

No one I've ever met here qualifies.....trust me.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be returning from out of country that week. I may leave early, solo, then return to pick up the Admiral...may....
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brock! You made me LOL. I was wondering when we would quit talking about launching and start talking about lunch. Everyone should be thinking about what to bring to the potluck. I love a good potluck.

Margaret

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming over from Guemes Is on Sat. I will spend one night in town and come back home on Sunday. Not a fan of sleeping on a 16 with no canvas. Maybe I can piggy back in a slip for the night as someones dingy.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

So as we approach the date I need some help. I am new to how the gatherings work. My wife and I intend to take the 17th to 21st off of work for this trip. We live in Portland and either will be taking off the 16th in the evening and putting in on the 17th in the morning or leave very early and put in later in the morning on the 17th. Either way we are both excited to meet you all. The questions I have:

1. Is anyone launching on the 17th and from where that would you mind us tagging along so we can follow someone with more experience? I am not to worried about which port but coming from Portland Bellingham is a long ride - ancortes or south would be ideal.

2. Do we need to contact the harbor since we are coming a bit early?

Thanks all & look forward to meeting you. If you see a C-Dory 23 with a stressed out captain trying to dock that will be us try not to laugh too much Smile.

Harald & Heather

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold, et al that are driving north on I-5. I know I am a bit biased about driving in Seattle (Which is really from Olympia MP 102 north bound to about Mt Vernon Exit ???) you can avoid some traffic hassles, take a very beautiful, peaceful and curvy route up Highway 101 to Port Townsend, and yes, you get a boat ride, well actually a ferry from Port Townsend over to Whidbey Island which will cost you about $65 for a 22 size C-Dory, but just think of that as half price on the psychologists couch fee, and remember all the neat scenery, less traffic and single lane highway instead of 3 - 5 lanes of breakneck towing on the spaghetti turnpikes.

And time wise, it will take you about the same time and you will feel more rested.

And you can thank me later. Wink

(PS: Might be a good idea to call ahead and get a WA State Ferry reservation for that little boat ride.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree on the Olympic Peninsula route. Used to live in Quilcene. If the Whistling Oyster is still open you could stop for a libation.
Hank and Pat
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The potluck isn't my favorite activity on a CD 16. Maybe I could just reach under the dock and whip up a seaweed salad?

Activities I would like:

MMSI. I've never made a call, never gotten one. It would be interesting to try the C Brat broadcast MMSI. I would also like to have a better understanding of what my VHF can and can't do vis a vis distance and around obstructions.

DSC. I think I read that there as a "test" of this feature that would not bring CG helicopters to the marina. Some way to "ping" and get a response. I assume that in a real DSC event, the radio transmits to the CG and the CG then sends the Lat Lon etc, out over their repeaters to boats in the area that might not have received the DSC directly?

Radar. I've always been curious as to what I look like on various screens, assuming that I show up at all.

MOB drills. These are always interesting. Throw a plastic milk jug overboard and have the admiral solo back and retrieve it. Be sure to time it so you know how long you would be in the water.

AIS. My own personal project. I finally called Standard Horizon and got yet another possible wiring connection to try connect my Lowrance plotter to the SH AIS radio. Frustrating that NMEA-0183 has color coded wires, but each manufacturer has their own code. Sort of defeats the purpose of have the wires color coded. I've been told that I can't damage anything, but there are probably 1,000 possible combinations. At least in FH there will be active AIS boats around so that I can instantly see when and if I get it right.

One website said that, because the low-end Lowrance plotter has only one incoming Com port, I have to choose between having AIS vessels show or DSC vessels show. Another site said I could do both by simply connecting two wires to that port.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMSI and DSC. I have worked with others to experience and practice using DSC to communicate with other boats. I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. DSC is a nice tool, but it's not as simple as it should/could be. The first thing one needs to do, is read their operating manuals! At least then you have a start on knowing how to set up your own radio to make or receive a DSC call. As for hooking up a "network" to get your chartplotter to talk to your radio, that can be a PITA. Not only finding the correct wire if you have several, but then setting up the right protocol in the radio settings. I'm always willing to help, but no guarantees. Mr. Green Anyone that would like to practice or experience using their radio's DSC capability to make a call, my MMSI is: 338131849. If you want me to work with you practicing making and receiving calls, please give me your MMSI number so I can program it into my radio's contact list. Lastly, I will have my AIS transmitter on when I'm underway, and it should be showing my MMSI along with the first part of my callsign, Midnight. (Not enough room in the system to input the complete name.) I'll likely be launching from Ladysmith on the 16th. And since AIS works with the VHF line of sight, you may not pick it up if I'm out of range.
Marc, I'm pretty sure you show up on radar. I've painted many boats your size, but distance and sea state affects the returns. I'd be more than happy to take a picture of my radar painting you, if you want to take a run out away from the docks. Smile
Very much looking forward to the gathering, and anxious to get on with my drive/tow out west. Just over a week now before I leave Wisconsin! I'm done with all my prior overthinking nonsense! lol! Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked the idea of a "class or two" at the CBGT's. Seems just another good reason to be there. Have done some onofficial ones (DSC for one) and always benefited.

Mark said:
Quote:
"....One website said that, because the low-end Lowrance plotter has only one incoming Com port, I have to choose between having AIS vessels show or DSC vessels show. Another site said I could do both by simply connecting two wires to that port.

Mark I ran into that with my RM C120. Not enough input ports. The fix (for me) was to ad a "Multiplexer". It is a programmable device that takes in a bunch of input and sorts it all out and the plotter not shows what I need. I don't know all the tech talk, but for the $200 it worked. I have 2 AIS inputs from VHF (SH and ICOM) and input from the Vision Watchmate also. If one is not turned on or working, it picks up from the next one down the line.

(I might have more electronics than some folks think I need, but I am a firm believer in duplicitous double redundancy Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, guys, real good. I think that'll be a big hit at the potluck.

David, delighted you can make it, and we'll squeeze you in somewhere safe. C-16, after all, long was my blood type. Harald, I'll be launching at Twin Bridges late Thursday afternoon if you want to follow me to FH. TB is six miles SE of Anacortes, north of La Conner, under the aforementioned bridge. We could hook up nearer Anacortes, unless you get a better offer.

Is it OK to talk about food? Every year folks hit a grand slam with the marvelous munchables they display. Amazingly good. I think I'm going to bring a cake. Not a sheet cake, a boring, round one. I'm concerned we're not getting enough sugar.
Cake
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all - I got wonderful offers from the gang to tag along - I am really overwhelmed by how wonderful this community is and can’t wait to meet you all.

As to electronics - dsc - ais etc etc. I have it all but have no idea how to use it haha. I’d love a good discussion on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: