The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/20 - 2018 Friday Harbor CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary and Colleen, We would be happy to have you! Use the "event signup" link near the top of the CBrats main page to add yourselves to the Friday Harbor event. Then watch this thread for details in early May and assume you will have a slip waiting.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. All signed up and looking forward to the event.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to a family obligation we will not be making this years Gathering. We were very much looking forward to being there & enjoying the company of so many we’ve spent time with in the past & others we only know from this site. We know you all will have a wonderful time & it’s our loss. On a more positive note we hope to be cruising again in SE Alaska out of Skagway in very late May or early June.

Jay

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jay, I'll miss seeing you guys at FH. And wish I was joining you in Skagway, but putting that end of the Inside Passage off till next summer. I do hope to get up at least as far as Desolation Sound after the gathering, and will have about 4 weeks available to do so. Colby
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Hey Jay, I'll miss seeing you guys at FH. And wish I was joining you in Skagway, but putting that end of the Inside Passage off till next summer. I do hope to get up at least as far as Desolation Sound after the gathering, and will have about 4 weeks available to do so. Colby

Colby, I’ve been following your planning. With this years experience behind you, it should have you well prepared for a cruise out of Skagway next year with others or by yourself. At present, we are planning next year for a Northwest Canada area road trip & inflatable boat exploring of rivers & lakes, so most likely won’t be in SE Alaska cruising after this year until 2020.

Jay
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 3 others have indicated an interest in joining me next year, and I know of at least one other couple that are planning on doing the Inside Passage next year that said I could join them. I think all are looking at Prince Rupert as a launch point. So unless I can talk them into Skagway, or head that way on my own, I may have to settle for starting out in the south also. Maybe just make it an official C-Brat Gathering Cruise! Smile (But a Skagway launch would only add a few more days to the travel time, and it's a beautiful drive!) I'm looking forward to getting more tidal experience this year. And a little more open salt water experience. And of course the social aspect of the FH gathering! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about La Conner. I have finally decided to launch out of La Conner this trip. I understand there is both a ramp, Twin Bridges Ramp, and a Sling Launch at La Conner's Maritime Dry Boat. However I was a bit surprised to learn the sling launch is $50 one way, or $80 round trip. Anyone here have any recommendations about either? I do have that nifty rinse system I fabricated and installed on my trailer brakes and hubs, so really no reason why I can't dunk the trailer in the salt water. (The trailer itself is aluminum, but most the running gear is steel or galvanized steel.) But I would want access to a fresh water hookup nearby the ramp. Colby
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Twin Bridges boat ramp would not be a good place to leave your truck and trailer for a month or so. Too much chance for it to get vandalized. Plus it's a tricky ramp with lots of current and very tide dependent. Definitely doable for you Colby but not my favorite boat ramp. My $.02.

I've never used the La Conner sling launch. Maybe Starcraft or another Brat could chime in. Have you looked into Cornet Bay?

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Bridges is not a good choice for long term parking. The ramp can be covered with dead heads and debris. The ramp is right next to the bridge supports and with the current can post a problem. Not to forget about the oil trains closing the train bridge.
I would highly recommend Bellingham for a long cruise
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Cornet Bay was $10/day for parking and there aren't any nearby options for long term.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I thought that Cornet Bay was $10/day for parking and there aren't any nearby options for long term.

Mark

I'm sure you're right Mark. I just threw it out there as a possibility. I didn't know the specifics. Thanks for clarifying.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the office at Squalicom (Bellingham). Ask them about the long term parking options. We used them once for a two week trip back in '13. All we had to do was contact the office and provide them vehicle/trailer info & dates. They gave us a different (long term) pass that I left on the driver's seat. There was no extra cost. We did have to park across the street in the gravel lot, so that probably changed since the opened that up as a bypass road of some type.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking is not a problem, as I have been offered some real estate for leaving my pickup and trailer at. La Conner is fairly close by, and seemed to be more protected than Camano Island ramps. Also, if the parking situation falls through, La Conner does have long term parking at $60/month, albeit I don't think it's secured parking, but then many if not most places are not secured. Port of Everett was another possibility, but longer boat run. Bellingham and north are pretty much out of my preference. (Unless I found some free secure parking in that area. Wink ) I also understand that a south wind can mess that area up. (And realize weather can pretty much mess up anywhere depending upon from which way it blows.) Ideally, where ever I launch, I could also spend the night near by, if I launch in the evening. In the long run, the $80 lift launch may be relatively cheap all things considered. And I hear La Conner is a neat town to visit. This also gives me the opportunity to check out Deception Pass, yet I can still access a familiar route out of Anacortes, if necessary, by transiting thru the canal from La Conner north. So really, I'm just looking for a good ramp with fresh rinse down water near by, or an inexpensive sling launch, which is probably just Cap Sante. For comparison, I believe it's sling is $46/round trip. Colby
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...or an inexpensive sling launch...it's sling is $46/round trip.

Guess your definition of "inexpensive" is different than mine. Laughing
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, originally when you asked about Cap Sante and Bellingham launch points, I shared my personal preference for Cap Sante given those two options. However, with that said, I would personally still prefer Bellingham over all the other options you've since mentioned, such as Twin Bridges, La Conner Sling, LaConner Pioneer Park, Washington Park, Everett, Cornet Bay, etc. As far as launch ramps go, Bellingham is one of the best, with a nice steep grade for easy launching/retrieving (but not slippery), easy access to freshwater wash down and convenient location to your northern cruising destinations. The chop in the bay is nothing to be feared, it's really just more of an annoyance that I prefer to avoid, so the parking situation should be your main question with Bellingham, as suggested in previous posts. Don't forget there is also another ramp in Bellingham in Fairhaven, also with fresh water washdown, but it's not as nice of a ramp for a 25 footer (it's better for smaller boats), but maybe there are better parking options over there.

-Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: