HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

best fuel economy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.interactio.co/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZHZq8DP2gIVE6vsCh1kGgg4EAAYBCAAEgKQ1vD_BwE

This is made and sold in Victoria, BC, just a short drive from my place. And cheaper for American buyers!

Does anyone have any experience with one?

Looks impressive in terms of the information it offers and the ease of installation.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxe Point wrote:
http://www.interactio.co/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZHZq8DP2gIVE6vsCh1kGgg4EAAYBCAAEgKQ1vD_BwE

This is made and sold in Victoria, BC, just a short drive from my place. And cheaper for American buyers!

Does anyone have any experience with one?

Looks impressive in terms of the information it offers and the ease of installation.

That looks like a great app--the fuel flow meter is about $300 US (shipping?). It can be done for less, if you have a system, such as Lowrance or Garmin which has the Transducers, which typically go for $150 to $200, but if you don't have the NMEA 2000 backbone, then it would bring it up to the $300 level. Nice to not have to run wires, and for older boats without a modern MFD which will show fuel flow and calculate the MPG etc. If I had a boat without a fuel flow system, I would certainly consider this one. Thanks.

Colby, I don't know what year Mercury integrated smart craft into the outboards. Suzuki did by 2007. But a Mercury manual from 2001 addresses the fuel use from the engine computer via Smart Craft Gauges--so your motor should just require the proper cable and adaptor from the computer and integration into the Garmin. Or for about $200 you can get the cable and a dash gauge which will show the information directly--for a little more you can get an android app. with wireless transmission..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-so your motor should just require the proper cable and adaptor from the computer and integration into the Garmin

And that is where I got hung up on stuff. Trying to find that adaptor. Wasn't getting much information from the shops I was talking to back when... Perhaps I just need to get a hold of Merc and find out what's needed and the cost. I already have a network hooked up to the Garmin, which has the gauge page. (However, it's not the Garmin network, but rather the one RayMarine required for their autopilot. Another PITA regarding installing the lowcost RayMarine autopilot with everything else Garmin.) It would be nice to change all that stuff out and go strictly Garmin. But it's an added cost I'm not willing to pay! Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind; Miles per gallon if you are on salt water is a variable. That is due to the ever moving tidal currents. If you are doing cross tide runs just for the numbers it is possible to get repeatable numbers, but for practical purposes miles per gallon on boats is going to have to be approximations. And hours per gallon (or more realistically gallons per hour) will be more useful for repeatability, not so much for fuel use planning.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
Although there are always some tidal and current influences, many parts of the world in the oceans these are minimal--and can be from any direction. Some places they vary in speed, but usually consistent in direction--then occasionally they will change with no reason for a brief period of time.

That there are currents (not all tidal) is all the more reason to have a fuel flow device and know amount of fuel used, unless you have huge tankage. Many of the ocean crossing trawlers and large yachts have "day tanks" so there is a very accurate recording of fuel used, as well as the flow meters.
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've kept records of every refuel, and every mile traveled over ground (via GPS) for the entire 18 years and 39,000 nautical miles I cruised with New Moon. 95% of this was on the Inside Passage, with tides and currents aplenty.

My mileage would vary considerably at first, when I spent some time at 18 knots and some at 6, with the proportion being pretty variable.

But after I settled down to traveling mostly at 6 knots, NMPG figures from tank to tank became remarkably consistent. I guess if I log a bunch of miles, the currents average out reasonably well.

For the last four years and more than 9,000 NM, averages by year were 3.84 NMPG, 4.18 NMPG, 4.27 NMPG, and 4.25 NMPG.

So I planned my fuel range based on 4 NMPG.

Remarkably enough, I get almost the same NMPG with the 37 Nordic Tug at 7 knots.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept our log book from our Monk designed cruiser. No gauges on the tanks, so we kept track of fuel usage primarily by engine hours. It was an odd feeling at first, but after a hundred hours of keeping track, it seemed fine to simply check the log book and calculate that we had plenty of fuel to go from Ballard to Friday Harbor and back.

I get a little nostalgic looking at the efficiency. Plus, diesel was 64 cents a gallon. I should have done more cruising. Words to live by.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: