thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Aqua Map Reply with quote

With the change of ownership of Active Captain, several applications have dropped AC and some are restrictive.

In the last week, Aqua Map has announced that they will continue to be part of the Active Captain family. I have not used Aqua Map much for navigation, but it does upload the most recent NOAA Charts; it is almost world wide.

There are a number of various apps for the US and Canada; probably the best "buy" is the combination for US and Canada. I was doing some Beta for the App years ago, and I have many of the world wide charts as well as the US "pro".

There are two type of charts the NOAA (Raster scan) or the Aqua Map which is a Vector scan, and somewhat cartoonish. Since I have several I pads, I have downloaded boat to compare. I suggest that one look and decide which is best for themselves.

This basically can take the place of "Garmin Blue Chart"--which is no longer available or updated, for non Garmin Chart plotter owners. There is a tide and current component which is also part of the app. I'll be using all of these features and comparing thru this boating season.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:

After seeing that both PolarNav and SEAiq have announced that they will no longer support updates for Active Captain data, I got to looking at other chart plotters for iOS. I did notice that AquaMap was going to continue to support AC data once Garmin releases the interface specs.

So you indicated that AquaMap supports NOAA raster charts, something that I couldn't easily glean from their website. I much prefer raster charts as I don't much like the cartoonish vector adaptations. Does it quilt well? Some implementations won't show detailed chart data in some areas unless you zoom in ridiculously close.

I also understand that AquaMap has off line tides and current capability. SEAiq handles tides and currents offline well and when you click on an icon you get a numerical value and current direction pointer.

So overall how does AquaMap stack up to SEAiq if youhave any experience with SEAiq?

David
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
Bob:
So you indicated that AquaMap supports NOAA raster charts, something that I couldn't easily glean from their website. I much prefer raster charts as I don't much like the cartoonish vector adaptations. Does it quilt well? Some implementations won't show detailed chart data in some areas unless you zoom in ridiculously close.

I also understand that AquaMap has off line tides and current capability. SEAiq handles tides and currents offline well and when you click on an icon you get a numerical value and current direction pointer.

So overall how does AquaMap stack up to SEAiq if youhave any experience with SEAiq?

David

David,
I would say that they are comparable. I have not had any real experience with SEAiq. Aqua Map does quilt well. Would say that good resolution, and detail. I choose Cattle Pass between San Juan and Lopez Island for currents. There is a current arrow at the center of the pass, and 1.3 miles North and l.3 miles South of the center. As you zoom on the arrow (which points the direction) it will give velocity and if increasing or decreasing. If you click on the current icon, it will give the velocity and bearing. When clicking on the end of the logo, "I" which identifies the current point and opens a window, you can choose either a table or graph, and forward and backward looking data. Similar with tides.

For your part of the World (Ct), there are two current arrows in the shipping lanes for "The Race New York" and "The Race near Valiant Rock" A current arrow at "1.5 miles South of Eastern Point", "New London Harbor Inlet" Tidal point at New London, Thames River as well as a current marker at Winthrop Point, Thames River. I have only been thru this area once, so I don't have any real local knowledge. As you zoom in, there are multiple current arrows in Long Island Sound proper. It seemed to be very adequate for navigation. Also it would work well for planning.

In both Cattle Pass and in the Races, and LIS, there was much more information in Aqua Map, than on Garmin Blue Charts, which I still have installed, as for both tides and current. The Active Captain information was the same, except in Aqua Map there were more current updates.

Hope that helps.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used a tablet for navigation, but I need to learn. If you download this "AquaMap that supports NOAA raster charts" then:
1. Do you pay for AquaMap app, and if so how? (I do not have PayPal or FaceBook.)
2. How do you get the NOAA charts? Do you download them separately? From another source, (NOAA or some separate vendor)?
3. When you use AquaMap will it work if you do not have a cell phone connection?
4. I am assuming that you must have a working GPS on the tablet, (not one that is triangulating positions from cell towers.

Thank you for some explanation (for this non nerdy, not so techy Brat.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I have not used a tablet for navigation, but I need to learn. If you download this "AquaMap that supports NOAA raster charts" then:
1. Do you pay for AquaMap app, and if so how? (I do not have PayPal or FaceBook.)

For an android tablet, this is a google app. At this link you can find out much of what you need to know. I don't normally use an android tablet, but I have a couple, which I use for looking at various apps. I believe that you pay for Aqua Map the same way (thru Google Pay) as any other app. You download the free app, then have to pay for the US or US and Canada Maps. I got the maps several years ago, seem to be updated and still work fine.

Quote:
2. How do you get the NOAA charts? Do you download them separately? From another source, (NOAA or some separate vendor)?

When you buy the AquaMap, there is a icon at the bottom left of the screen which you click to choose one of multiple "tiles" or areas of the chart to download. You highlight the tile you want to download, then click on start. The tile will download to your tablet and be stored there. For example for your use, the tile starts at Salt Creek Recreation area on the Olympic Pen. and goes to Langley in the Sound, and up to Birch Bay in the US, and Mainguy Island in Canada. This is about 40MB.

Quote:
3. When you use AquaMap will it work if you do not have a cell phone connection?

You need a wifi connection to download the tile or map of your area. You can choose Raster or Vector view each time you look at the chart. Both are downloaded when you download a tile or area on the chart. No cell phone connection is necessary.

Quote:
4. I am assuming that you must have a working GPS on the tablet, (not one that is triangulating positions from cell towers.

That is correct, you either have an android or i ;pad which has a built in GPS, a GPS dongle, or a blue tooth GPS. Triangulation would not be accurate enough on the water, or zoomed in. The GPS in my I pad will show where I am on my property within a few feet, even indoors.

Quote:
Thank you for some explanation (for this non nerdy, not so techy Brat.)

Harvey
SleepyC :moon

Hope that helps. The basic app is free, but the US is $20, and US and Canada is $30 (better buy). There are also charts for much of the rest of the world. I had downloaded Australia, New Zealand and the med to see what Active Captain was doing there.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob for all the great answers. I really need to do this and "expand" my horizons. Much appreciated.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week we started up the Apalachicola River using mostly my Garmin Chart plotter. About mid day it ran out of charts and I had left my Inland Lakes and River chip at home. So we switched to the I-Pad. I have three boating programs on the I-pad and they are all different.

NAVONICS: good description of the river & navigation aids and names of places along the river. Sand spoil piles & etc. Showed river miles clearly. Not much info on things away from the river.

AQUA MAP: good description of the river and navigation aids of the river, but not place names of river stuff. Best Active Captain symbols & ease of use. Best for info of the world around the river.

GARMIN; the old, apparently no longer available program: best of the river, but nothing at all away from the river. Like you are floating thru space.

We ended up switching between them frequently to keep an awareness of where were were and how we were making progress on our trip. I will keep them all.

Regarding our trip up the river: We were traveling at hull speed not making much headway against the river current. On the 2nd day in the afternoon I was thinking about where to spend the night and looking for a side creek or place of quiet water. Penny was looking at Aqua Map and spotted a road and a Active Captain boat ramp symbol ahead. She clicked on the boat ramp symbol and it told about a long dock. So we kept going and found a town: Gaskin, FL. When we reached the dock it was in good condition and it looked like a City Park. No other boats. We docked and then I noticed a man sitting on a park bench watching us so I walked up to the park. Then several other people were walking over from the houses to visit with us. They had watched us cross a sand bar without going aground. They had to come see the big boat with the shallow draft. We spent the night and really enjoyed the visit with the locals.

We have finished boating Florida for now, have just retrailered Two Bears and will be starting a three week long "boater homing" trip back to Idaho.

Chuck

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
Great description of the chart apps!. Even greater description of what cruising in a small boat is about! Seeing the heart of America, on your terms!
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck and Penny, Take your time heading north. Winter isn't completely gone up here yet. Sounds like you had a great time in FL.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using AquaMap on ipad Air with Gps (3/4G n wifi)with latest iOS and app version. Someimes it crashes charting a route and plotting a trip doesnt always work, and charts of travel were downloaded. I have contacted them and received a quick reply explaining to do exactly what I was doing. Lol. I like the map coverage, too. It is probably me but AM lacks auto trip planning feature like Garmin. I tried Garmin full version for a day demo and loved it. I plan to switch soon.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent,
I have not used Aqua Map for actually navigation--more for planning and AC. I'll use it on the up coming trip, and report back.

To have the Garmin, does one not need to have a Garmin Marine Chart plotter device under the "new rules"?
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Google as map aid Reply with quote

Great post. Not having a boat myself I have to go on "Virtual Trips" with you all. I use Google Maps and/or Google Earth. Here is a link to the Google Map page for Gaskin Park, Florida:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gaskin+Park+Boat+Ramp/@30.1133725,-85.1823876,6679m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x88934598a547e321:0xba201119185a91dd!2sGaskins,+FL+32424!3b1!8m2!3d30.3057523!4d-85.1265835!3m4!1s0x889359a4015542cb:0x1d272403b3220305!8m2!3d30.1324772!4d-85.1424316
One big advantage of Google is that you get lots of surrounding off water info and in this case, great pictures showing lots of small boat trailers, the two boat ramps and a clear shot of the sandbar that was surmounted with ease by the mighty Two Bears.
By using Google search you can also look for near water land based and usually cheaper gas stations, in this case, a long walk.
Bob Jarrard
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Brent,
I have not used Aqua Map for actually navigation--more for planning and AC. I'll use it on the up coming trip, and report back.

To have the Garmin, does one not need to have a Garmin Marine Chart plotter device under the "new rules"?

Hi Bob

My mistake i am switching to Navionics +
https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/features/dock-to-dock-autorouting
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least with the I OS app, Aqua Map allows you to download satellite images on line superimposed over the chart. Perhaps not quite as close detail as Google Earth, but very close. You have the option of the amount of the Aqua Map and the Satellite blend you want on the view, with a slider.

In my neighborhood, it is fairly accurate with the shore outlines, including docks etc. The navigable channel is spot on. But in the plain Aqua Map of the land, there is a railroad which ceased to exist about 100 years ago (a regiment of the lumber industry and saw mill in our area.)

I turned off the cell and wi fi functions and the satellite image was retained on restarting the I pad, so if you kept this on, and downloaded the satellite views it would take a lot of tablet memory.

I also looked at the Aqua Map;s depiction of services--you are a lot better off with your cell phone and google maps! The nearest gas station is shown as 2 miles beyond where the actual nearest is. Some restaurants are not shown, other stores are mislabeled. In comparison Google maps is precise, and up to date.

I would opt not to download the satellite images, except if in a difficult situation where it may make a difference in navigation and rely on Google maps for satellite views.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck & Penny. Safe travels as you head home. What routing are you taking? Anywhere near Madison, WI? Although right now the northern route might not be best. Blizzard conditions north of us. Just blustery wind here, with rain. Think you guys might end up doing the Friday Harbor gathering? You have any recommendations Everett vs. Anacortes? Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: