View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Portland to Canada Reply with quote

Hi there. From mainly a safety point of view, and comfort to a lesser extent, is it a great/terrible idea to consider heading from Portland, OR down the Columbia to Astoria, then heading up to Juan de Fuca in a C-22?

I know it would be easier and cheaper to trailer it, but.... not the adventure I'd like.

I don't currently have radar, but would plan on getting that and learning how to use it before.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a safety and comfort point of view, sitting at home in my arm chair and looking at the streatch from West Port to Neah Bay on Navionics, I would pass. Not enough safe anchorages from what I can see. If the weather changes or you can’t travel at the expected speed you were planning to go to get to a place to anchor you could be in big trouble? I’m sure some local WA guys will give you an educated recommendation. I like your spirit but when it’s rough and I’m still far from safe anchorage I’m often regretting my wild spirit!
Hayseed

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Stimpy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems dicey to me.

Wouldn't be too tough, given calm conditions, to get about halfway up to Neah Bay--the two large bays on the WA coast (Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor) are short distances from each other and from the Columbia, and offer protected anchorages or marinas.

But the stretch from Grays Harbor to Neah Bay could be real challenging. The distance is 105 nautical miles, so if you were able to cruise at 20nmph, you could make it in 5 hours or so. Winds off the Olympic coast tend to pick up in the afternoons, generally about 1pm-3pm. But anything slower exposes you to shifting weather conditions and would make for a long haul in any case.

It might be possible to duck into La Push, a native reservation of the Quilleute tribe, about 2/3 of the way to Neah Bay. There's a marina at the river mouth, but I understand the entry is tricky, with a sand bar that shifts with the seasons.

As usual, motoring on the open Pacific in a small boat would be entirely dependent on the conditions. For my part, even the ordinary swells on the Strait of Juan de Fuca are challenging.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once sailed (with a total crew of 4 in a 40 foot sloop) from SF to Anacortes. The Oregon coast was difficult. We put in at Coos Bay seeking shelter....even going across that bar was enough for me to practically s**t in my pants. No way I'd do it in my CD25.

OTOH, we had so-so weather....not real bad, but not calm either. If the weather were perfect, and you KNEW the weather would remain calm all day, and you knew you could make port every night, and you had time to wait a week or two at each port in case the weather turned foul, I might consider it.

Adventure all right! I've done several quite adventurous things in my life (some called me foolish), but my guess is the I would never decide to make that journal in a CD22 (or any CD....I'd be real nervous without a keel). OTOH, I might hang out in Neah Bay, wait for good weather, start at 1st light, head straight west as far as I could go, turn around so I could be sure to make it back to Neah Bay that evening. I'd get 80% of the adventure that way with only 10% of the risk.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come up and down from Los Angeles area the coast to Sequim (and on) several times in 46 to 60 foot motor sailing vessels. I would not do it in a C Dory 22. The Oregon/Washington coast is pretty desolate in stretches, and if you have a problem, help is not close at hand. Could you do it?--yes. Is it wise to do it?--No. I have a good friend who specializes in delivery of recreational vessels along this stretch of coast. He personally survey's the vessel before the trip, takes a lot of precautions, and extra gear along, and has been doing this so that he knows the coast. I believe the smallest vessel he has taken was about 36 foot--and that was a passage making trawler. (Willard)

The beauty of the boats is that they are easily trailerable.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thechadmiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! So it is unanimous! Go for it?
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, perhaps not such a wise thing to do, but so are the adventures many have done. To correctly undertake a challenge such as this, the risk should be understood & then all reasonable preparation to address them taken. I see this as doable in a CD 22, but the rewards not worth the risk. Now if the Washington Coast was more like the outer coast of SE Alaska facing the Alaska Gulf it would be to me & I see the hazards somewhat similar. What makes one desirous to take on a particular adventures is a very individual thing, leaving you Chad to go for it or not.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a trial run, drive out to Ilwaco, Longbeach, and Westport to take a look. Chances are that by the time you do that you will see one bar in ebb, maybe even see a 50 foot fishing boat pounding back in to get out of worsening weather. If that looks like something you wouldn't mind doing in a C Dory (probably by yourself), then go for it. I've always felt thankful that I was on the jetty.

North of Grays Harbor, every bar crossing is worse. And I've always been amazed at how far offshore you need to transit before entering the Straight. You aren't likely to have a view of the coast (Capt. Vancouver missed the 17 mile wide entrance to the Straight because of fog). The "Graveyard of the Pacific" is a name that was earned.

The lure of that cruise is that it is mathematically possible. Sort of like this: my car can go 122 mph. Las Vegas is only 1,115 miles away. I can be there in just over 9 hours. Actually, two stops for gas would make it closer to 10 hours. You can see that other factors would come into play.

Mark

Much easier to view that coastline by hiking.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2520&id=102_0218&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thechadmiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. I'll get some other dumb idea in my head and work on that instead. Trailering North it is.
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it with my Camano 31 in June, 2012....decent weather. The is no way I would have done it in my CD-22.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I will say I would not do it. I agree, mathematically it is doable, AND IF you have a good, stable high pressure weather system, you could have 8-10 days of no wind, flat seas and probably fog.

Is it safe? It could be. Is it being responsible? It could be. Is it worth it? Not for me.

Then again, it might not be safe trailering from Portland to Vancouver BC either, but it is probably easier to mitigate the hazards of that trip than that of taking a CD22 around the outside.

If you are wanting to get up into the San Juan or Gulf Islands, you can do that in one day from Portland on a trailer to the right launch place? If you do that same trip on a CD22 on the water even in perfect weather I can't see it taking less than 3 or maybe 4 days.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the water like a mirror out there in late summer and fall. There's usually fog not far behind when its that calm. It's definitely doable in a 22, but you would have to have a have an extended window of time most people don't have. it can be a long wait in between those glassy days. Point Grenville south of Taholah would pass for an emergency anchorage, and La Push is a legit moorage with services. Aside from that its wide open.

If the north coast (strait) was not accessible by truck and trailer I could see a reason. To do it for fun when you could trailer there seems like unnecessary stress. I'd love to hear about the adventure and live vicariously through you!

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailering; faster, safer, cheaper. Cool

On the other hand, you must go thru Seattle. My advice; don't stop. They will steal anything/everything possible on your boat/truck.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the west coast so much more treacherous than the east? On the east coast one could take a C Dory from Maine to Florida without taking a huge risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: