The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Generator / Seating Platform for CD25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Generator / Seating Platform for CD25 Reply with quote

I thought I'd share the design of a generator / seating / cooler platform I made for my 25. Maybe it will give someone else additional ideas.

(Generator secured to the platform by tie-down straps)

It started out as me just wanting a place to put the generator so the exhaust exits the cockpit while not taking up any cockpit space. I have twin Honda 90s on my boat. The motors and their associated steering linkage takes up any useable space within the splashwell for the more standard generator platform other brats have built. The more I started thinking about a solution, the more I realized I could eliminate another annoyance of mine: limited built-in seating. The built-in seating on a 25 consists of two small corner seats. They are not that uncomfortable, but they are shallow so when you sit in them, you have to be fairly upright.

The platform I built provides ample space for the generator or a large cooler and allows full articulation of the twin outboards. It also enlarges the seating, mostly in width. but also in depth by about 2.5". Most of the support comes from the built-in seating and "bulkhead" of the splashwell. The only other support is provided by some thick-walled stainless tubing and heavy-duty deck hinge fittings at one back corner (so splashwell storage space is not lost). It's secured in place on the front by two heavy duty take-apart hinges. The platform is extremely sturdy. It's made out of 3/4" starboard and well supported. I'm a big guy and was able to stand on it and bounce without seeing any deflection / movement.

I'm pleased with it so far. Despite being 3/4" starboard, it only weighs about 20lbs. It can be removed in about 1 minute by unscrewing one deck hinge pin. I also routed some slots in it where I can run some tie-down straps through to secure the generator. I bought enough material to make a matching platform for the other side so I'd have a full bench seat across the stern. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or ambition to do that right now. The only thing left to do on this project is to make a larger seat cushion.

There are a few more pictures in my album:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Generator-Bench-Platform&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! I would radius the sharp corners of the Starboard to avoid injury.

Do you have a swim platform?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
beermanPDX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Nicely done! I would radius the sharp corners of the Starboard to avoid injury.

Do you have a swim platform?

Thanks. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but all edges are chamfered or rounded over. The corners do have a slight radius...just enough to take off the ouch factor. I didn't go too big on the radius in case I make the matching platform for the other seat. I wanted them to meet and form a relatively smooth transition.

I don't have a swim platform.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was concerned about the aft and foreword inboard edges. They appear "sharp" enough to cause an injury if you were to hit these fairly hard (which can happen easily)--I used to inspect long distance cruising boats for potential issues--and this would be one I would be concerned about. But again, many of the tables on the C Dory line have sharp corners. (Some have been rounded and some 45 deg cuts...
beermanPDX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I was concerned about the aft and foreword inboard edges.

You're right, if they would be hit hard enough, they'd definitely cause some injury.

If I get the other side's platform done, these corners won't even exist any more since it would just be a continuous platform across the stern. In the meantime, I supposed I can put some kind of padding or foam on the forward inboard corner especially.
Kpeters

City/Region: NJ
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Life Savor
Photos: Life Savor
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: 25 cruiser bench seating Reply with quote

Hi folks- I'm interested in making a similar bench accross the motorwell, but would want a backrest as well. Of course it would be on hinges to allow motor to be raised. Any one else have photos to share of their bench designs?
Thanks
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: BENCH SEATING Reply with quote

I was thinking of making my bench seats on the sides going back to front and the rear deck boat style if I get a 23 venture I'm looking at. I always thought the swim platform to be the perfect place for Honda gen set.

Kind regards,
John
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look into secure anchoring of the generator. A generator platform that "can be removed in about 1 minute by unscrewing one deck hinge pin" also makes it so the generator can be removed in "about 1 minute".

My generator sits on the swim step. I secure it with a steel cable that is anchored to a secure part of the boat. Yes, the generator can still be removed, but it requires more than a casual thief.

Honda generators are quite prone to wandering off.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point about the theft of Honda Generators (A friend had two stolen last week, even though they were locked up.) There are several ways to secure the EU 2000i. One is a cable thru the handle, with a steel device over the plastic handle. Another is putting a cable thru the middle of the plastic cover of the generator, drilling holes in the plastic cover, and bringing it tight on the metal body.

The least invasive is something like Lowpro Lock Down. This can be a self done exercise using a plate of 1/8 to 1/4" thick SS the same size of the bottom of the generator sandwiched between some fiberglass or wood structure, bolted securely to the boat. This utilizes removing the OEM screws holding the rubber feet in place, and substituting a much longer 6MM threaded rod or bolt. These 4 longer bolts go thru the SS plate and are held in place with a strong locker or spot weld.

We are also considering having a diamond plate aluminum cover made to go over the generator and cover as a primary deterrent. This would be locked in place also.

In many places there is enough wave action to risk damage to the generator, and I have placed it on a plastic milk crate.

On our 22 we have a 1/2" Starboard piece which fits into a Magma barbecue mount into the combing next to the lazaretts and splash well.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my CD25, I store the Honda 2000i in the head (fits perfectly). True I have to move it to use the head, but only when we are underway. Once at anchor, it stays in the splashwell on a simple platform (not secured)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: