Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Anacortes Hwy 20 Construction on now Reply with quote

Hi,

Just want to make people aware of likely slowdowns as you come to Anacortes from Burlington. They are building 2 roundabouts and paving the road from Safeway to the Ferry terminal. All should be complete sometime in July 2018. If you are planning on going to Cornet Bay or Washington Park launches, Cap Sante or Skyline, it may take awhile. You probably be affected going to FH CBGT if you come through Anacortes. Project plan and dates are below. First roundabout started today a little south of Sharpes Corner

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR20/SharpesCornerInterchange/ProjectDesigns.htm

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent over an hour and half going from Deception Pass bridge to Sharp's Corner. This could get real ugly.

Fred
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting knocked around in Bellingham bay for 45 minutes is starting to sound okay.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on facebook the other day. looks like a good idea but it will be a pain until it is finished. Many times that we have driven to cornet bay to launch we have sat at the light on hwy 2 for half a hour. That backs left turn traffic up in to the left hwy lane. You end up with thru traffic trying to get over into the right lane at 60 mph and not hit you. This improvement is really needed but will be a pain until finished.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not real familiar with the area, how will this affect me coming up from SeaTac? Thanks. Colby
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

Basically, you can't get to Anacortes from Seattle without going thru this intersection. There are games you could play, but they probably wouldn't be worth it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing to me that cities are still putting in these "Traffic Calming" devices. There has been one at a 5 point intersection of Hwy 101 and 3 other major streets in Long Beach CA. Los Alamitos Traffic Circle which was put in place for the 1932 Olympic crew venue at Marine Stadium nearby. For years there was one court room which had a large diagram of the circle so the numerous accident victims didn't have to attempt to draw it. It has gotten safer, since at least one of the roads has been diverted, and the incoming traffic limited to one lane from each highway. It still can be terrifying to someone who is not used to these. They were tried in several areas in Pensacola,--and most were removed--those that remain have their traffic patterns modified.

Maybe it will work in your area and be worth the costs and trouble it causes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a major choke point here, where Hwy 30/101 teed against SR202, west end of Astoria. A light there would have mandated one or another traffic stream would have to stop, then start. After much debate and more doubt, a roundabout replaced the whole thing ... a "small" one. Worked fine, metering small gluts of traffic, with every stream slowing down, and yielding to traffic in the circle, maybe 15 years. Everybody more or less happy.

Then, we got discovered ... and now the thing is so overloaded at peak traffic times that we routinely use an alternate highway to circumvent the whole shebang..

Bottom line: these things have a maximum throughput capacity, beyond which they become a circle version of gridlock ... circlelock? Those roads intersecting with SR 20 near Anacortes ... aren't they pretty much overloaded st peak traffic flows, pretty much every day, summertime?

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Colby,

Basically, you can't get to Anacortes from Seattle without going thru this intersection. There are games you could play, but they probably wouldn't be worth it.

Colby, You could take the Mukilteo ferry over to Whidby Island, go up the island hiway and launch from Deception at Cornet Bay. Or you could still launch from Sequim.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the sling launch in keeping the trailer out of salt water. But if I have access to a fresh water hose to rinse stuff off, I can live with that. Also, need relatively safe and secure, preferably inexpensive parking for about 5 or 6 weeks. I'm sort of familiar with Cap Sante, but also open to others common knowledge or experience with other places. Seems like traffic can be a hassle anywhere. The next best thing would be, what's the best time to hit that area going into Anacortes? My wife will fly in to SEA on the 15th around 1 pm. I really hadn't planned to launch until the 16th, so I've pretty much got plenty of time. If hitting there late in the afternoon or evening works better, I can do that. (I.e., I can pick my wife up, then get the hell out of the airport area before rush hour begins, and just go sit somewhere a little more quiet, until rush hour is over again, before heading thru that area at Anacortes. Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into Cornet Bay and there are some costs that I wasn't expecting. You need to have a WA Discover Card to launch (in addition to the launch fee), which is something that I always get with my fishing licence, but it would be quite an additional cost for somebody from out-of-state. Parking appears to be $10 a day??? Somehow Parks and Rec made a little boat ramp in the woods more expensive than a sling launch at an Anacortes marina. Add to that the $62 ferry fee from Port Townsend (to avoid Sharpe's Corner) and I would spend more launching my boat than I would on fuel cruising for three days.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anita Marie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that traveling from Burlington on Highway 20 to Anacortes will be of little impact in your travel time. They plan on leaving the far right lane as a pass thru not affected by the traffic circle. I think you will be fine traveling that way.
As far as Coronet Bay that is a little more complicated. I had the privilege of getting caught in the traffic on the first day of construction. If you want to get to Coronet Bay during normal hours I believe the best way is to go to Anacortes and then take the road to Pass Lake by Deception Pass Bridge. It may add about a half hour but I think it will be far quicker.
As far as bypassing Seattle and coming up Highway 101 and taking the ferry may skip Seattle but adds a large fee on the ferry.
Anita Marie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Tom as far as the need for the traffic circle. I have come thru that intersection many, many times at different times in the last few years and have never had even close to a half hour wait. They could of solved the problem by just extending the left turn lane further up Highway 20.
From the rumors I have heard the circle on top of the hill is being put in so school buses can make the left had turn with out waiting so long at the stop sign. Not sure if this is valid but have heard it more than once.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have extended the left lane another half mile but they did not. The traffic going to cornet bay on a Friday , just about the only day I go, has been scary for two years. This is not a new problem. I have been just waiting to get rear ended by some one with head up ass doing 60 as they come down that hill.

As for traffic circles in general. This area is crawling with them. There are 5 with in Marysville alone. Its Wdot favorite answer to any congestion real or imagined. I was not a fan of them but have gotten to like them as long as you watch out for the Canadians. All the locals have learned how to use them but their are still a few wrecks. In the last year I have had two older Canadians going the wrong way around the circle try to hit me head on in their pickup trucks. One gave me the finger the other did not even notice he was going the wrong way. the first time I was on the gold wing. Crazy.
Anita Marie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob and Dave. This traffic circle is going to try to handle large amounts of traffic including a lot of semi traffic heading to the island. You are creating a choke point in two directions that now is only in one direction. I do not see how this will help traffic.
Anyone would have problems with a traffic circle if they had never seen one before no matter what country they are from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: