The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

One mph Autopilot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abrxas

City/Region: Scottsdale
State or Province: ID
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: One mph Autopilot Reply with quote

I tend to obsess over my new projects and this site is nothing short of Disneyland. Thanks to all that have contributed to the fun!

I have acquired a 22 foot C-Dory cruiser that I intend to spend a large percentage of my onboard time trolling for kokanee and walleye. The outboard is a DF90a Suzuki with hydraulic steering. The MFD's-- Garmin 741xs and Lowrance HDS-7 (gen 2).

Desired Outcome:
Install an autopilot capable of holding course down to a 1 mph trolling speed.

*A trolling plate on my Whaler with a 115 Yamaha slows down to .8 mph, so slowing the Suzuki to 1 mph is not a concern.

Presently there are 3 candidates in the running. After talking with the customer service representatives of the 3 companies I rank them in the following order:

Garmin GHP w/ GHC 20. Probably would work
Lowrance Outboard Pilot Maybe
Ray Marine EV-100. Skeptical

I would greatly appreciate any real world experience, input or confirmation in identifying an autopilot capable of the 1 mph course hold.

Thanks!
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin will easily control down 1 mph and in reverse. It will try to control at a dead stop and stall, as soon as the boat starts moving again it will go back to controlling.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Ray Marine EV100. I have a CD-22 with a Mercury 115hp. This autopilot does a lousy job of controlling the boat at slow speeds, especially with any kind of wave action. I'm sure the problem being that the pump is small and can not swing the outboard fast enough or far enough at the slow speeds. I have also looked at some of the Garmins. Most say not recommended for trolling or slow speeds. Be sure to read the fine print on whatever you decide to go with. Colby
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For very low speeds or for maintaining heading in current when the boat may be motionless, or almost motionless, you need an autopilot that includes a compass and rudder position sensor. I am not up to date on which of the newer models may still include these items. Those two items allow the boat to point in the desired direction even when there is not enough movement over ground to use the gps functions. Almost a must for Great Lakes trolling.
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slowest I have been is .75 mph trolling a fly. The boat will wander side to side but still holds its course. The only time that I would be doing this is when the water is flat with no wind. I wouldn't fish that way if I had 20 mph winds or 2 foot white caps. Garmin doesn't have a rudder sensor and doesn't need one. Since Garmin bought the TR1 autopilot they have only made it better. I have no regrets about spending the additional money to get an autopilot that will control the boat at slow speeds. I use mine to fish Circles, figure eights, goto waypoints and follow routes.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EV100 does have a compass. In fact when I have the system on, my GPSMAP 840 reverts to it rather than it's own internal computations from GPS. (can you say mapshift!) This becomes a problem when the AP compass gets out of whack... I know of no way to have my GPSMAP disregard the AP compass when the system is on. BTW, I looked up the Garmin AP system mentioned in the first post. Under notes: Not recommended for fishing, or applications that require holding heading while trolling or at low speeds. For applications that require precise heading control while trolling or at low speeds, our higher-performance GHP Reactor models are recommended.
Abrxas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! The Ray marine unit has been ruled out for this application.
Garmin produces a GHP Compact Reactor and a GHP Reactor autopilot. The GHP compact clearly states that it is not for trolling at slow speeds. My query was for the GHP Reactor unit.
JKidd's description of the function of his Garmin unit sounds perfect for my intended application. Knowing the model designation and the pump used would be most helpful.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abrxas wrote:
Thanks for the replies! The Ray marine unit has been ruled out for this application.
Garmin produces a GHP Compact Reactor and a GHP Reactor autopilot. The GHP compact clearly states that it is not for trolling at slow speeds. My query was for the GHP Reactor unit.
JKidd's description of the function of his Garmin unit sounds perfect for my intended application. Knowing the model designation and the pump used would be most helpful.

I have the Garmin GPH Reactor Hydraulic and it does not do a good job at low speeds. Fantastic on a plane however! I absolutely love it on a plane!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely low speed trolling in high wind? No problem. After finding that main motor autopilots can't really do low speed well, or sound like they are having hydraulic convulsions while they try with a bigger pump, I added an electronic (remote, compass and GPS) electric motor to the bow of Problemadela, a CDory22. It is fantastic, and when I am trying to dock with wind and tide through the maze of boats that are jammed into slips that are way to short for them, it is a "bow thruster" than can also pull forward or push backward. When trolling, it also doesn't make noise or put out fumes, which is nice for conversation, though I wouldn't call either my Honda 90 or 9.9 stinky or noisy. The motor also has an "anchor mode", which will hold the boat in the same spot for hours, great for staying in place in a river or with tides when bottom fishing. When launching, I can push the boat off the trailer, engage anchor mode, park, then bring it in with the bow motor. I plan to get one that also stows automatically, and put this one on another smaller boat. I don't understand why more C-dorys don't put a bow-mounted trolling motor on their boats.
jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My model has been discontinued so I don't think it will help much it was a GHP™ 10 Marine Autopilot System
PART NUMBER: 010-00705-05

At the time it was about 2500.00 with the pump and the pump was a 1.5 liter pump. The course computer was shaped like a ball. It also has the shadow drive.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
Extremely low speed trolling in high wind? No problem. After finding that main motor autopilots can't really do low speed well, or sound like they are having hydraulic convulsions while they try with a bigger pump, I added an electronic (remote, compass and GPS) electric motor to the bow of Problemadela, a CDory22. It is fantastic, and when I am trying to dock with wind and tide through the maze of boats that are jammed into slips that are way to short for them, it is a "bow thruster" than can also pull forward or push backward. ......... I don't understand why more C-dorys don't put a bow-mounted trolling motor on their boats.

Most of us don't put trolling motors there, because they take up much of the deck space. I didn't see any photos of your trolling motor. Could you post the photos, brand, model, and a bit more specifics about the "automatic stowing".
What battery system do you use? I happen to use a 24 volt 60" shaft 85# Thrust, salt water Minn Kota--it takes up 78" of deck space along the gunnel of one of the cat hulls (out of the way, but no railings as on the C Dory). I see there is a "self stowing model of a similar motor". The 80# thrust (wonder if this is enough for a C Dory 22--my Cat is 1/2 the weight and about 1/3 the windage) is $2700--plus batteries (probably going to have to be AGM, since best to put them in the cabin, and less cable to the TM. Also some charging system for the 24 volt batteries...at least 3K??

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see about posting a picture later, but this earlier post for the CD19 Angler "Ari" is exactly like I mounted mine.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=11644&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

In fact, Ari was the source of inspiration for me to try the motor, which I kept when I sent my father's low gunwale crabbing boat back to the Chesapeake Bay. Too wet and cold for Puget Sound. I then got a CD22. The trolling motor is perhaps the most useful fishing device I have other than downriggers and fishing rods. The "anchor mode" is absolutely fantastic for bottom fishing, as is the "course mode" which tracks a compass heading.

I mounted it just to the left of the bow, and I angled it back from the bow in front of the hatch box when I fold it down. I hadn't found that I used that small area in the past much anyway except when I anchor. I can also just pull it straight up if I want to sit on the hatch box of the CD22. Right now I have the manual deploy model for freshwater. I take a lot of care to rinse it after using, and I plan to get a MinnKota Ulterra saltwater model (80 lb) to replace this one and use the current one for freshwater.

I use two Group24 AGM batteries in series (24 volt), with onboard charger under the forward bench seat in the cabin. I keep two extra batteries in a second bank under the sink, and use them to drive the stern electric motor (also 80 lb) mounted above my Honda 90's antiventillation plate.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Problemadela&id=TansomKicker1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I can switch either bank to either electric motor, but haven't needed to so far in a normal day of trolling. I don't use the rear electric motor much any more as it can't keep the boat going straight.

The 80 lb bow electric moves the CD22 about 2 knots at full out. With the "80+80" front and stern I get about 2.5 knots. No speed demons there, but perfect for fishing and docking. Both are rated for continuous use and has a temperature cutoff. It has never cut out, perhaps because the water is so cold around here.

One down side, with strong waves, the bow motor will come out of the water occasionally but then I don't want to fish anyway. I already had the bow motor before I bought the C-Dory, but given how much I like this thing I plan to spend about 3K just for a new, high-end saltwater, self-stow model.
Abrxas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JKidd! A second call to Garmin customer service revealed the replacement for the Garmin 10 is the Garmin Reactor 40 part #010-00705-19 and the 1.2 liter pump is part #010-11146-20. New price is 3200. Autopilot solved.

Robhwa ,an electric trolling motor on the bow of the C-Dory turns it into a bass boat.
Brilliant, now I have another project. Thanks!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robhaw, Thank you, I see that you mounted it as Greg's. I assume that the auto deploy will use about the same mechanism. That could not be done on a C Dory with the motor which I have and the length of 60" shaft...(Which gets around the motor being out of the water when in waves for the most part).

It does not look like you could have a windlass mounted on center with the trolling motor. Just curious--since I have the issue solved with a different type of boat--which is better for our fishing in the Gulf..vs the need for the cabin in the PNW.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: