Do any brats use marine charts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
gps accuracy is about 5 to 20 ft depending on a verity of factors. If you can do that with paper charts in broad day light you are a god, and like most people that consider them selves gods delusional. Very Happy

Now I think maps and land Nav skills are great and very important but because of the scale of a map you can not get within 100 yards or so of accuracy on the water without being close to shore ( for markers) . So in the fog that 100 yards is not good enough to navigate a lot of passes around here. Gps has lead me in to Blakely resort twice when I could not see shore even 10 yards away.
It just seems that we should be comparing apples to apples and todays gps /chartplotters are as different from maps and compasses as apples and prime rib. its like trying to be on time to work with a sand dial and not the clock on your cell phone.
[/quote]
Good point. I admit that my only experience with chart plotters was in the infancy of the industry. At the time I remember helping to pull a large cruiser off a reef near the Saanich Peninsula. Later conversation with the skipper revealed that his boat had suffered $12,000.00 CDN damage to the fiberglass hull, although the hull wasn't pierced. He was navigating via only his chart plotter and it showed the reef to be about 30 yards to starboard. That's quite a way. In my own vessel, and using paper charts, I would have never navigated that close to a reef. That's because I know paper chart navigation is not deadly accurate by any stretch of the imagination. In my opinion safety is the ultimate goal on the water. I've been in too many compromising and terrifying situations to throw caution to the wind.

Maybe it's time for me to try this electronic navigation again. It may have come a long way since my experience with it. My biggest beef with electronic gadgets was the need to keep pouring more and more money into them for so called upgrading. My paper charts are mine once I pay the $26.00 for each one. The updates are free via notice to mariners and, so far, along with my radar, compass, watch and binoculars I've managed to stay safe. Ha, we've even navigated through shoal waters near Tent Island with a lead line.
I'm wide open to input. I'm just not convinced that the safety and lives of myself and passengers can be trusted to anything electronic. I even often second guess my sounder and radar.
I wonder what the Navy uses for navigation. Do they use only electronics or are they also required to carry paper charts?
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lollygaggin,

I wonder if your Saanich Peninsula rescue experience was before May 2000. If so, the errant skipper might have been relying on a GPS position for civilians that was made purposely innacurate by the US government - "Selective Availability". Reported position could be hundreds of feet off.

Our first SE Alaska trip was done under those conditions. Sure would not have relied on the chartplotter to get us through a narrow pass in reduced visibility back then. Now we can see which slip we're in on some charts.

The Garmin chartplotter we bought in 2002 was still doing a fine precise job in 2015, with only a few updates of Inside Passage chart cards along the way.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first boat that I bought that had electronic gadgetry had a LORAN unit. Charts had LORAN lines on them, but only the "outside" coastal charts. The CG didn't want you to use LORAN in close quarters. I was sad to see the LORAN program end but, it actually ended years after it supposedly ended. I used LORAN for years after most had switched to GPS.

I heard all kinds of stories about sun spots, electrical storms, etc., causing problems with LORAN. But when I could find my crab pot buoy in the dark, I was amazed. I followed my track back through a tiny opening in Barkley Sound after fishing outside all day and being caught in a fog bank. Like the fourth picture here: http://slowboat.com/2017/09/barkley-sound-west-side-of-vancouver-island/

I learned that I could put in a waypoint and the LORAN would send me directly there, even if there was an island between here and there. It would occasionally recalibrate when it picked up another station and show gibberish for a few minutes.

So I got, and still have, both respect and wariness for electronic navigation. I try to remember that, like a paper chart, it is just giving the captain suggestions.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lollygaggin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the West Coast memories. Sounds like you were quite proficient with LORAN. I never used it but I remember the shop I worked in was a warranty provider for LORAN products. Most business was with the commercial fishing fleet and Search and Rescue. Only the senior techs were permitted to work on the LORAN equipment.
I just started researching electronic navigation systems and I see I've been in the dark ages for decades. I think this newer broadband radar would be the most suitable for my needs but I can't find it in a "Garmin" product.
Looks like I've got a lotta learnin' ahead of me with all these multifunction screens and interface boxes, yikes !!! Shocked
I still have to find out if the Canadian Coast Guard accepts electronic charts as an only source of navigation information. It would be a bit of a drag to spend all these thousands of dollars on equipment and still have to buy the darn charts and sailing instructions.
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Using charts Reply with quote

I use I pad for nav. chart plotter for back up and then paper for back up.
I am old and do not trust technology. Garmin maps my favorite with
Active captain and can get tides and currents and real time (4-6 minute delay)
overlay weather for storms moving in.

I pad my favorited. Not good in sun but we have C-dory 23 Venture with cabin.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollygaggin wrote:
... I wonder what the Navy uses for navigation. Do they use only electronics or are they also required to carry paper charts?

The Navy used to navigate the old fashioned way with paper charts. After running a couple of ships aground, they decided to embrace modern technology.

https://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/u-s-navy-announces-plans-to-convert-fleet-to-paperless-navigation

Now they have decided to start training celestial navigation again. What goes around, comes around.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just not convinced that the safety and lives of myself and passengers can be trusted to anything electronic. I even often second guess my sounder and radar.

Me either which is why I use them as they are intended. paper or electronic they are just tools that are used by people to help illustrate reality. I do not nor have I every condoned just following the line on your screen. Tool number 1 is between your ears and its attached to tool number 2, eyes. Everything else is just reference material.

Watch a guy in a 40 ft or so searay run over a reef near yellow island. Broad day light and marked reef. In the after mass of his boat being towed and hauled before sinking, lost both out drives, we figured out that he read the buoys wrong. What he thought was a red right return marker for his channel was for another channel and was marking the reef. He's boat was equipped with raymarine c120 chart plotters. He just did not interpret the available information correctly.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Quote:
I'm just not convinced that the safety and lives of myself and passengers can be trusted to anything electronic. I even often second guess my sounder and radar.

Me either which is why I use them as they are intended. paper or electronic they are just tools that are used by people to help illustrate reality. I do not nor have I every condoned just following the line on your screen. Tool number 1 is between your ears and its attached to tool number 2, eyes. Everything else is just reference material.

Watch a guy in a 40 ft or so searay run over a reef near yellow island. Broad day light and marked reef. In the after mass of his boat being towed and hauled before sinking, lost both out drives, we figured out that he read the buoys wrong. What he thought was a red right return marker for his channel was for another channel and was marking the reef. He's boat was equipped with raymarine c120 chart plotters. He just did not interpret the available information correctly.

This has happened more than once during the Texas International Fishing Tournament (TIFT) - huge sport fishers come from other states and countries to participate in this tournament. Coming back in from the Gulf, they pass through the turning basin near our home... also the place that is the end of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and the beginning of the Port Isabel Channel. The "red right returning" markers swap sides there. In this case, if you follow your chartplotter, you'd be OK... if you blindly head in trying to keep the reds to your right, you are going to run aground. Abruptly. Even with eyeballs, you have to keep your brain engaged AND know that the daymarks are going to swap sides.
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollygaggin wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the West Coast memories. Sounds like you were quite proficient with LORAN. I never used it but I remember the shop I worked in was a warranty provider for LORAN products. Most business was with the commercial fishing fleet and Search and Rescue. Only the senior techs were permitted to work on the LORAN equipment.
I just started researching electronic navigation systems and I see I've been in the dark ages for decades. I think this newer broadband radar would be the most suitable for my needs but I can't find it in a "Garmin" product.
Looks like I've got a lotta learnin' ahead of me with all these multifunction screens and interface boxes, yikes !!! Shocked
I still have to find out if the Canadian Coast Guard accepts electronic charts as an only source of navigation information. It would be a bit of a drag to spend all these thousands of dollars on equipment and still have to buy the darn charts and sailing instructions.

I think the Canadian laws endorse electronic charts. In one of the previous posts it was mentioned that: "CHS Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) meet the requirements provided they are used with an Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS)."
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier and less expensive to keep electronic charts up to date. Thumbs Up
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Canadian electronic charts. I asked the CHS officials at the Seattle Boat Show about using Coastal Explorer to meet the requirement, and I was told that CE charts do NOT meet the requirement. The only electronic charts that meet the requirement are the official (very, very expensive) CHS charts that they issue on CD's. CE running on a PC is NOT an ECDIS.

They said that the only way a small boat in Canada can comply is to carry UP TO DATE PAPER CHARTS that they issue. For the trip from Seattle to SE Alaska that stack of paper is about 4 inches thick and weighs 30 to 40 pounds. And it has to be up to date!

I told them that that is a large burden to place on small boats, and that most if not all small boats are using chart plotters or computers. You also have to carry the OFFICIAL Tide and Current books issued by CHS. Ports and Passes or tide info on a plotter does not comply with the rules. So said the CHS folks at the boat show.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
dwggideon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Marine charts on c-dory Reply with quote

I carry a chart book for long ICW trips for reference. I plan my trips on iPad with Garmin Blue Chart Mobile with the US charts downloaded, then transfer the route wirelessly to my Garmin 741xs chart plotter. When under way I have the iPad zoomed out and the chart plotter zoomed in. I follow my route on both. The only thing the chart plotter tells me that the iPad doesn't is arrival time, off track distance, and other navigational stuff. Other than possibly a chart book, i have no paper charts on the boat. If chart plotter fails or both boat batteries fail, I can use iPad hooked to an external battery if necessary. Also, I have 2 iPhones and a second iPad on board all of which have Garmin Blue Chart Mobile. I have no worries about not knowing where I am. This has worked well for 4 years so far.
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
Re: Canadian electronic charts. I asked the CHS officials at the Seattle Boat Show about using Coastal Explorer to meet the requirement, and I was told that CE charts do NOT meet the requirement. The only electronic charts that meet the requirement are the official (very, very expensive) CHS charts that they issue on CD's. CE running on a PC is NOT an ECDIS.

They said that the only way a small boat in Canada can comply is to carry UP TO DATE PAPER CHARTS that they issue. For the trip from Seattle to SE Alaska that stack of paper is about 4 inches thick and weighs 30 to 40 pounds. And it has to be up to date!

I told them that that is a large burden to place on small boats, and that most if not all small boats are using chart plotters or computers. You also have to carry the OFFICIAL Tide and Current books issued by CHS. Ports and Passes or tide info on a plotter does not comply with the rules. So said the CHS folks at the boat show.

My understanding is that indeed ordinary recreational chartploters are not an ECDIS. However, the rest of the story is that we no longer have to have an official ECDIS or paper charts to be in compliance. Sometimes officials remember how it used to be, and forget that there is updated policy. The fact that different sections of Canada's websites are sometimes hard to understand and not exactly consistent adds to the confusion.

Here again are Canada's rules, from their website

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-95-149/page-1.html#h-6

Carriage of Charts, Documents and Publications

4 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the master and owner of every ship shall have on board, in respect of each area in which the ship is to be navigated, the most recent editions of the charts, documents and publications that are required to be used under sections 5 and 6.

(2) The master and owner of a ship of less than 100 tons are not required to have on board the charts, documents and publications referred to in subsection (1) if the person in charge of navigation has sufficient knowledge of the following information, such that safe and efficient navigation in the area where the ship is to be navigated is not compromised:

(a) the location and character of charted

(i) shipping routes,

(ii) lights, buoys and marks, and

(iii) navigational hazards; and

(b) the prevailing navigational conditions, taking into account such factors as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

A good chartplotter (more than one, for backup), a good source of tides and currents, and a good source of weather info would seem to be sufficient. I do have that 40lb stack of paper charts, and enjoy looking at them, but in the last two years I no longer carry them.
Lollygaggin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian laws regarding charts seem to leave too much to interpretation.
It's quite clear that one does not need charts of any kind if they are navigating in familiar waters. We regularly navigate the mouth of the Fraser to False Creek and Vancouver Harbour without ever looking at a chart.
However, all it takes is one jerk on an RCMP boat to completely ruin your trip or weekend because of a difference in interpretation of the Shipping Act.
I can't see where it is clearly stated that electronic charts and displays are approved as a sole source of navigational information in Canada.
I've never had any issues with the Coast Guard inspections but a few RCMP skippers and crew have been very unreasonable. We were once written up for having the wrong type of fire proof material on the inside of the doghouse on an old ski boat, even though we had a current CPS inspection sticker displayed. Instead of wasting my time searching the Act for information I just had the marina install the most current product. Thank goodness we had paper charts on board because we were considerably south of our usual stomping grounds and I was unable to prove my local knowledge when questioned about a nearby reef and a certain aid to navigation. I've heard that they can actually tow you back to a harbour if you're caught in unfamiliar waters without "approved" charts. No thanks.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry paper charts if you want to, but the CHS officials at the SBS did not know whereof they spoke, at least entirely. This has been covered earlier in this thread. Here is the link to the entire actual regulation, and here is the applicable part. Seems we MIGHT need to carry a printout on board to show to any overzealous RCMP or Canadian CG official. This really is not subject to "interpretation." Here is the pertinent part that creates the exception for vessels under 100 tons - this is an exception for "small boats," CE or almost any iPad app will give the skipper the knowledge required to trigger the exception:

Carriage of Charts, Documents and Publications
4 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the master and owner of every ship shall have on board, in respect of each area in which the ship is to be navigated, the most recent editions of the charts, documents and publications that are required to be used under sections 5 and 6.

(2) The master and owner of a ship of less than 100 tons are not required to have on board the charts, documents and publications referred to in subsection (1) if the person in charge of navigation has sufficient knowledge of the following information, such that safe and efficient navigation in the area where the ship is to be navigated is not compromised:

(a) the location and character of charted

(i) shipping routes,

(ii) lights, buoys and marks, and

(iii) navigational hazards; and

(b) the prevailing navigational conditions, taking into account such factors as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

Larry H wrote:

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: