JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Learn to read the water,” he says... “The more you travel an area the better the charts will be,” he says.

Why, I remember a time...

Twisted Evil

Cool

Mr. Green
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome discussion to be going on while I'm in my Captains course. I personally side with Tom. Are you all using the chart to navigate or to plan? If navigation is your answer, how often do you update your course? If you're not updating at some frequency how are you navigating? Are you updating your lat/long with GPS position, or shooting 3 known land targets, or are you using radar rings? How old are your maps? Are you correcting for annual rate of change? Are you dead reckoning? If so, in less than a minute with currents working against you, you're off target anyway.

Im all for one being prepared, and practice is a necessity to keep a perishable skill. But I'm hard pressed to believe when the fog got thick and lands out of sight, and your chartplotter dies you'd reach for a chart instead of a backup GPS unit! I know someone will bring up compasses, and to that I'd ask how many of yours are truley on? Do you have course correction cards? Did you run it with electronics working, or now off as the situation dictates. Yes GPS can fail you, but human error has a much greater fail rate.

Oh, and I learned if you have radar, you shall run it! Who knew?

Have fun guys!
John
Scallywag
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We carry limited traditional paper charts but try to have at least one of these for the area we travel. We use them for planning mostly.

https://www.fishnmap.com

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach people to create maps and data for maps professionally and have done so for quite some time. I love maps for air, land, and sea, can can use them all navigationally very well. But I use a Garmin sitting next to another Garmin sitting next to my phone with Navionics loaded and sometimes running at the same time. There is no getting away from that dynamic view of where you are and where you are headed. Maps are great, but I think they are better suited to planning or daydreaming for most rec boaters. But if you go where maps and map data is sparse. Use all you senses and any tool that helps improves awareness.

Greg
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Learn to read the water,” he says...

There were/are Micronesian & Polynesian "master navigators" who "read the water". They use only the sun, moon, waves, wind, sea birds etc to navigate The Pacific ocean.

No instruments. No sextants. No GPS. No modern western tools. Just their eyes, some rudimentary ancient tools and experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_navigation

Mau Piailug was of Micronesian decent. He was the teacher of Nainoa Thompson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nainoa_Thompson

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry paper charts of the area I am in, also a chart book. But, I use mostly, my Raymarine plotter, a smaller Garmin plotter, a Samsung tablet with GPS, and a phone. The last 2 are strictly backup, but often the tablet has the big picture view on. For Desolation Sound and the Broughtons I have a planing "map" that is very useful and usually open on the table.

I have had the plotter go south twice. Once right in Friday Harbor on a bright, clear day, right out in front of the ferry and sea plane section. Unnerving but running VFR was no problem there. And it was my only plotter on board at the time. The second time it went off was crossing Juan de Fuca, relatively calm, mild fog, enough to obliterate the north and south shore. Coincidence I'm sure but just as an Orca surfaced, crossing about 75 ysrds in front of me the screen went off. No problem this time, the little Garmin was up and running. Did the shutdown and restart on the Raymarine and we were back in bisiness.

Electrinics can fail, but I agree, human error in location plotting, especially were there are tidal currents that are moving at multiple knots per hour are going to make DR and even 3 point positioning difficult and inaccurate.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewkid wrote:

But I'm hard pressed to believe when the fog got thick and lands out of sight, and your chartplotter dies you'd reach for a chart instead of a backup GPS unit!
Scallywag

Under these exact circumstances, pre radar, we managed to navigate safely back to our moorage some 20 nautical miles away by comparing our depth sounder readings to the paper charts. I guess it's all in the way you learn to use your tools.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollygaggin wrote:
Brewkid wrote:

But I'm hard pressed to believe when the fog got thick and lands out of sight, and your chartplotter dies you'd reach for a chart instead of a backup GPS unit!
Scallywag

Under these exact circumstances, pre radar, we managed to navigate safely back to our moorage some 20 nautical miles away by comparing our depth sounder readings to the paper charts. I guess it's all in the way you learn to use your tools.

Smart.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why, I remember a time...
that was a faulty tide chart reading induced adventure. And we learn by failing. Thats my story.....
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollygaggin, that discussion also came up today. I personally wouldn't go out of the way to install a stand alone sounder on a vessel of our size, and if I did, it would be in the version of another chartplotter combo on a separate circuit for redundancy. Chartplotters have come down so much in price, you're talking $100 more for a cheap combo to not follow depthlines home.

Knowledge is a great tool to have no doubt.

John
Scallywag.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a laminated placemat on the boat table..yes a placemat...that depicts the San Juan waters. I'm sure you're seen them at island restaurants. It's chart like. The standing joke is that we refer to that thing more often than anything else, and it's probably true!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
We have a laminated placemat on the boat table..yes a placemat...that depicts the San Juan waters. I'm sure you're seen them at island restaurants. It's chart like. The standing joke is that we refer to that thing more often than anything else, and it's probably true!

When I was a kid you could actually get charts that had been made into placements. We had a set for our dinner table.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:

Something I have noticed particularly when on long drives and relying on maps is scale and detail. When going from A to B, say Seattle to Santa Fe the first thing you want is an allover picture of the route and with enough detail. And then likewise for each day's route, and probably even for the morning and afternoon segments.

AA would always provide a friend with a booklet - like two or three miles at a time - you had to turn a page every couple minutes. Useless, except for a complex intersection where you wanted a lot of detail on just what turns you needed over a section where you might be on 3 freeways in that distance.

Chart plotters of course have the advantage of scaling up and down, but not to the extent of a place mat - large size, lots of detail, and the big picture.

ps, a rant - my car Garmin refuses to learn that it loses signal in our under ground garage, and then takes upwards of 5 minutes after we get out to find satellites. Kind of a POS. Went on line to get help. Not available.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:

We have used that placemat for "the big picture." I also carried one on the whale watch boats to lend to the the naturalists to show guests their current location. Part of navigation is: using all the resources available... and that one serves a purpose.

Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One item has been left out of this conversation, and that surprises me because most of the posters live in the PNW==where Currents and tides are a huge part of the equation. Even today, if I was boating up there, I would carry a set of tide tables, and the current maps and yearly tables. Such as: "Current Atlas: Juan de Fuca Strait to Strait of Georgia" and a set of tide and current tables--either ones from a private publisher "(Waggoner or Ports and passes" or NOAA tides and currents or one of the many "Apps".)

Many chart plotters have these programs built in, but I found it handy to plot out how much current I was going to have with or against me. Of course with the sailboats, and speed usually in the 6 to 7 knot range it was critical...

Another point in navigating with the depth sounder--if you loose GPS, and have a good dead reckoning then the depths become key. For example in S. Calif. Redondo Canyon comes in right to the entrance of King Harbor--just follow the canyon if you loose the GPS--or before there was GPS...!

As for accuracy--we don't see as many predicted log races as there used to be, but there seems to be a comeback. I noted that Pensacola YC how has these regularly. With a predicted log race, the skipper only has a compass, tachometer and chart. Often there are several "waypoints"--and the skipper has to predict when he will arrive at each waypoint as well as the finish point. The only clock aboard is a chronometer which is held by an "observer" who takes the time at check points and when the skipper crosses the "finish line". The best skippers can be within seconds on a 100 mile race. (Even with currents)

There is a lot to "reading the water"--the way the waves change as you near Island, the currents, the way the kelp flows, the surface change to refract the waves as you near points... That comes mostly with experience.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: