The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Room on transom for kicker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me a majority of CD22 owners installed a kicker on their transom. In our case, the factory installed a Mini-Jacker bracket to install the kicker so that it could clear the trim tabs. This install is VERY common.

The kicker had plenty of room on the transom next to the Main. I used a stainless steel tie bar so that I could steer from the helm. Much easier than using the tiller, especially when the kicker is installed on the port side.

Jody was right, if you install a Long sized kicker, the lower unit dragged in the water. I didn't raise it until our last year, I don't know why we waited so long.

Peter
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short shaft. Direct transom mount. Sits close to vertical and clears the trim tab. Note that the cavitation plate is above trim tab. With excessive throttle (which you don't need to approach hull speed) it will entrain air.

With all the talk of long shafts dragging in the water, I contradicted what I said earlier and picked up a short shaft 6hp that is 60# lighter than the 9.8. I plan to direct transom mount as well.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the performance of a 5 or 6 HP, which I could keep stored up front until I need it and move it around, say to a dingy. Right now I have a Honda 90, Honda 9.9 (100+ lbs) and an 80 lb thrust electric on the stern, and another 80 lb thrust electric on the bow. Actually the stern electric is bolted to the antiventilation plate, which some folks call a cavitation plate, so all stern units are on the transom. The electric weighs about 12 lbs, so no big deal for the electric. The batteries and controller are under the seats in the cabin. That is where the real weight for the electrics is, but its much better there than on the stern, IMHO.

With the 160 lb of thrust from the stern and bow electrics going full I can do about 3.5 knots, which is well below hull speed. I can do 7 knots with the 9.9. It seems that nearly 7 knots comes relatively quickly, and additional RPMs from the 9.9 don't give me much since I don't have enough power to plane. Obviously, I can't keep up with a strong tide (i.e. Tacoma Narrows Bridge can be 5 knots), or even probably a strong wind, with the electric. When there are bigger waves, the front electric will come out of the water, and thus isn't any real use under those conditions.

I only want the kicker to get me home if the 90 can't, say from the ocean for halibut or tuna. 6 knots should be good, about 4 or 5 hours, maybe a little more if I'm out for tuna. The 9.9 can do this nicely, but I hate the weight on the transom and the permanent list to starboard, which I currently counter with large batteries under the dinette on the port side. If I'm coming back from tuna, I'd obviously have extra fuel, be loaded with gear, coolers and ice. 100+ lb off the transom would be very useful.
island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you my experience with a 6 hp Tohatsu long shaft hung directly on the transom, starboard side.
Lightly loaded, with light wind <10 mph, at about 3/4 throttle, the motor will push the boat at about 6.5 mph per gps. I figure that is about hull speed. Under those conditions, the boat steers well from the helm using the main motor which is a 90 hp Etec. The Tohatsu is not linked to the main motor. Response is sluggish, but in the open quite adequate.
I do not find the long shaft an issue with respect to dragging. The lower unit is out of the water at rest when tilted, and on plane it does not drag.
Again, mine is a lightly loaded boat which we use to commute between the marina and an island cottage in the 30,000 islands area of Georgian Bay. For the most part we can use the shelter of islands to avoid heavy seas - Great Lakes style heavy seas! I am satisfied that under the conditions in which we operate that 6 hp would get us home.
I am an arthritic 73 y.o. and I can drop the 60 lb motor on the transom and remove it, but I would not want to do that on a frequent basis.
I think that "results may vary" quite a lot depending on circumstances, but I am delighted with this get-home motor.
andy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: