View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Halibut 2018 Reply with quote

We just got the word that Halibut opens in Canada tomorrow. Pulled hearing, salmon bellies and a salmon head out of the freezer and gathering my gear from my old boat to haul down to the dock tomorrow. Any other Canucks heading out? Any pointers on Halibut fishing using an anchor setup off a C-dory? Planning fishing three rods if things go smoothly. Two off the stern and on off the bow, but due to high winds tonight the chop might keep me away from the front of the boat! Hope to see some of you out there or that the fish are biting wherever you are!
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat's not quite ready so I won't be out opening day. What are the currents looking like for tomorrow?

As for anchoring, aren't you just going to keep running a traditional Vancouver Island (i.e. Trotac) setup with rings and a Scotchman where you also connect to a line running from bow to stern? It's a safe and effective system.
kaelc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currents look pretty good a little strong but shouldn't have much trouble getting to bottom at 240 feet Smile

Yes, I have a nice Trotac setup that I used to run on my 18 footer but it was built for a 25 boat so should be perfect.

Glad to see a south islander on here, I fish the trap shack in Sooke quite a bit but might spend more time in the waterfront and constance now that I have a moored 25 in the harbour.
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the fishing? How did the boat perform?
kaelc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran from North Saanich Marina to Border Bank. The run south was a little bumpy so we went slow but once we got past Trail Island things flattened out and we could get up to speed. Set up on our usual spot and things were perfect for a couple hours but the currents were a little strong, then I spotted some white caps off in the distance and between the wind swell from the night before and the 20+knot winds we had to pull anchor in the rough and run for Victoria Harbour where we are now deep in the harbour by Tilicum Bridge. No bites on the spot that delivers 80% of the time but usually in slower currents.

Handled some really big waves well. Have to learn how to run in rough weather and really use the trim tabs but the boat performed pretty flawlessly. Had three rods bouncing and would have loved to have gotten the floors bloody but that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Going to try again Sunday.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
Currents look pretty good a little strong but shouldn't have much trouble getting to bottom at 240 feet Smile

Yes, I have a nice Trotac setup that I used to run on my 18 footer but it was built for a 25 boat so should be perfect.

Glad to see a south islander on here, I fish the trap shack in Sooke quite a bit but might spend more time in the waterfront and constance now that I have a moored 25 in the harbour.

240' Shocked Why so deep? In Kachemak Bay, I rarely fish over 100' & biggest Halibut was approx. 325# 7'x4' (released) on king gear 20# test in 35 ft. water while trolling.

[url]

[/url]

That is a 6" Grand slam bucktail snagged between her eyes Wink
kaelc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still do get the odd one trolling and jigging down here but it hasn't happened to me yet! We troll at about 100 feet and bounce off the bottom all the time. Kachemak looks like a great spot but a little long of a run for me this year Smile

When does the season start for you guys? I've seen Alaska from a commercial troller 20 odd years ago and would love to make the run up.

Some guys are fishing 600 feet deep, but my spot has traditionally been 240. I hope to try spearfishing a halibut some day when salmon are about to spawn at the mouth of a local river but it's currently just a dream and I don't think they'll let us fish for Hali in the fall ever again unless hali start reproducing faster Sad and they leave it open for sporty's longer.
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
They still do get the odd one trolling and jigging down here but it hasn't happened to me yet! We troll at about 100 feet and bounce off the bottom all the time. Kachemak looks like a great spot but a little long of a run for me this year Smile

When does the season start for you guys? I've seen Alaska from a commercial troller 20 odd years ago and would love to make the run up.

Some guys are fishing 600 feet deep, but my spot has traditionally been 240. I hope to try spearfishing a halibut some day when salmon are about to spawn at the mouth of a local river but it's currently just a dream and I don't think they'll let us fish for Hali in the fall ever again unless hali start reproducing faster Sad and they leave it open for sporty's longer.

The month of Jan. is the only time Halibut is closed in South Central Alaska, 2 a day any size for 11 months. South East has their own regs. Wink Some day I would like to make the trip from Homer to Juneau, spend a summer / fall exploring. Good luck in your fishing!!
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are lucky enough to have a SHARC card! Then you get 20 per day, 365 days a year!

I don't know a ton about fishing K Bay, but I can catch halibut year round in PWS and the Gulf, but as the water gets colder I only get little babies unless I fish deeeep (~400' or more) and closer to the Gulf of Alaska. In the summer I can get into big buts in shallower water and regularly get bigger fish around 100'. Most non-commercial anglers consider halibut a summer fishery, but most of the commercial catch is taken in the early spring, off the edge of the continental shelf.
kaelc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you are making us Jealous with that limit and those pictures. Biggest I've caught was about 150 commercial fishing and 100 during a tournament that we had to release due to the regulations.

Skunked again last Sunday but I'm obviously into fishing not catching so planning to head out Saturday weather permitting.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc- Ok I give up. I am done squinting at charts looking for Border bank. Most likely local name. Is is off of halibut Island east of Sidney??
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or are you talking about Constance bank?
kaelc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did fish Constance on Sunday but the weekend before was Border and hopefully this Saturday morning, if the winds hold the tides look great.

Shhhhh don't tell anyone Wink

http://www.fishingvictoria.ca/images/victoria_large.jpg
tsturm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
I did fish Constance on Sunday but the weekend before was Border and hopefully this Saturday morning, if the winds hold the tides look great.

Shhhhh don't tell anyone Wink

http://www.fishingvictoria.ca/images/victoria_large.jpg

Good luck, let us know how you do!! Wink
tsturm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
Unless you are lucky enough to have a SHARC card! Then you get 20 per day, 365 days a year!

I don't know a ton about fishing K Bay, but I can catch halibut year round in PWS and the Gulf, but as the water gets colder I only get little babies unless I fish deeeep (~400' or more) and closer to the Gulf of Alaska. In the summer I can get into big buts in shallower water and regularly get bigger fish around 100'. Most non-commercial anglers consider halibut a summer fishery, but most of the commercial catch is taken in the early spring, off the edge of the continental shelf.

How do you get away with that? My copy of the Sport Fish regs. says Feb. 1 to Dec. 31 for All south central? Even PWS?

Sad Rolling Eyes Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: