Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, yes all the heavy magnum rifle calibers best known for Africa hunts & some on grizzly bears have much more energy & velocity than a 12 ga magnum & even carry more energy than a 12 ga out to several hundred yards. The advantage of the 12 ga with magnum slugs such as the benneke is the much larger diameter slug increases the amount of animal felt shock over similar energy from a much lower diameter bullet. Of course one of the really big bore magnum rifles in my opinion would have even more stopping power than the 12 ga, But you might need a gun bearer to lug it with you & that is the big advantage of the short barreled 12 ga. It has very little weight & size with hard hitting power. The caliber most compared with the 12 ga for bear defense is the 45-70 hand loaded with maximum powder & a heavy bullet weighting almost as much as a 1 oz 12 ga slug. Their energy & velocity are close & the .45 bullet expands quickly to almost the size of a 12 ga slug. Advantage more accurate up close & at longer distance then the 12 ga. Disadvantages very few, other than slightly heavier & cost more, along with having most likely to hand load the ammo to equal the 12 ga stopping power. If I didn’t already have the shotgun it would actually be my first choice to carry, due to its better accuracy & I for years when younger, used a lever action Winchester 25/35, 30/30 & the last a model 1895 Winchester 30/06 for hunting, which I still have.

I can’t say for sure the 12 ga with the magnum slugs will instantly stop a grizzly bear charge, but I have read over the years many accounts of this happening with the bear being knocked down even several times before stopped. Guides, I’ve talked to recommended their clients shoot the bear through the shoulders, which is called breaking them down & most often when shot anywhere near center mass with large caliber magnum they will go down, then if not broken down, will get back up & either charge or run away. This leads the hunter & guide into the dangerous business of now shooting at a moving enraged bear coming at them or going after it in the bush. I feel the 12 ga with the 3 in magnum at very close range to be at least equal to the large magnum rifles at the longer ranges they are used for with dangerous big game. If knocked down, with a quick firing pump or auto shotgun time is gained to quickly fire into it to stop it from coming again. Most big bore magnum rifles are bolt action & to slow to cycle for more quick shots even if knocked down. Most 45-70 are lever action & can be fired about as fast as a pump. Depending on the situation, if possible, I would try for a brain shot, but likely if a charge occurs it would be so quick & surprising that center mass would be the best or only option if even that.

In 1982, while hunting elk alone in the Salt Mountain Range in Wyoming, I was quietly walking along a game trail in a drizzling rain. The trail was along a very steep side hill, almost cliff like. Up a head in front of a large tree was I thought a rock. When I got less then 10 feet from it, the rock turned into a sleeping black bear, that awoke very startled & commenced to go around in circles huffing. The big tree blocked it from running directly away & it was close to straight up & down between us. Fortunately for me on about the 2nd or 3rd circle it dove off down the semi cliff face. I was so surprised by the rock turning into a bear, that even though, I was carrying my rifle in my right hand, I never raised it, so if the bear had come at me instead of just woofing in circles & then running, it would have had me. So I do know how one can be surprised & remain in-mobile & not even from fear. I don’t think this would happen again to me in SE Alaska where, when on shore, I’m always very alert for bears.

In a quick attack at very close quarters there would be no doubt whether to shoot or spray if possible. In more open terrain the decision when to spray would be much easier than when to shoot with knowing the hassle that will begin if having to kill, many might wait to long with a firearm thinking chances are it’s a false charge as most will be. As much as I’ve been around bears, I’ve only had one come pretty much directly at me & that was in 2007, when the bear was crossing the water to the camped kayakers. When I shot along side it-that bear ran directly away over the inland ridge, then circled back around out of sight with coming almost again directly at me before veering slightly & splashing into the water about 10 feet from me in the Mokai. The others came slowly seemingly to test what I would do. This is when I tried out different methods to back them off or instead me backing off.

Jody, I’ve carried a short barreled 12 ga with pistol grips while backpack hiking in the remote areas south of Yellowstone Park. They are ok with light loads, but even a high base slug or buck shot will really jar the wrist & the other hand better be holding tight. I tried one with a 2 & 3/4 inch magnum slug. Never again. I thought at first it had broke my wrist

Jay

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about a Mossberg Shockwave. It's not considered a pistol because it doesn't have a pistol grip and not considered a shotgun because the barrel is 14". It's legal in the US because it's registered as an other. There is a piece in the Canadian law that says if it was manufactured that way and not altered it was legal. Would need more research on that. But it sure would be easy to carry. I think I would prefer to carry a gun and spray. You don't get a choice on which way the wind is blowing.

This weapon would be illegal in Canada. If you check the firearm regulations attached below it will indicate what is and isn't legal. Basically the shortest legal barrel length is (470mm) 18.5" and the shortest legal firearm length for a shotgun of this type would be (660mm) 26". Also in most cases you cannot have a magazine capacity of more than five cartridges.

You would also need to check with the RCMP before you arrive at the border for additional permits. Hundreds of guns are confiscated at the US border each year and fines and jail times may also be applied.

You also have to consider where you might want to carry a gun in Canada. Much of the most beautiful land where you might want to hike, like National Parks, Provincial Parks and Marine Parks have a total ban on firearms. Bear spray is very common and encouraged. It is also now being encouraged to carry it in the winter as well. Bears are often waking up early or in mid winter more often due to climate change. Also there is a steady rise in the cougar population and they are active all winter. Especially at risk are small children and small women. Each year a few people are killed by cougars in Canada, possibly more than by bears.

You must also consider the culture of the country you are visiting. In 50 years of hiking in bear country, I have only once encountered a person with a firearm outside of hunting season. Whereas in Arizona a few years ago, I encountered about a dozen hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders with side arms in one week. Carrying a firearm outside of hunting season without the express purpose of hunting may be illegal, but more so is culturally unacceptable in Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very interesting reading starting in regards to guns. I know nothing about, so a lot of french, but still good to see folks talking mechanics instead of politics! Regarding bears charging or coming slowly. One of the things I read talked about a charge vs stalking or preying. If the bear is charging, it's probably a one time thing if you can stop it or if it's a bluff. However, if it has you in mind for food, it's going to be coming at you slow and steady. In fact one of the articles discussed that in a charge, it's nostrils are flairing and it's eyes wide open, thus the spray is going to hit it pretty hard. OTOH, if it's stalking you for a meal, and coming down low with nostrils closed and eyes squinted (as it would going into a beehive to lesson the stings), the spray is not going to be as effective.

Peter, Arizona is another place. Closer to the old wild west! lol
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Thanks for your reply and experience. From the Forrest Service study, I was surprised at little energy the 45-70's had--dependent on barrel length, and cartridge. I note that with Buffalo Bore, in 45-70 there is a 405 gr with 3595 ft. lbs. vs the 300 gr with 1849 ft. lbs in the Forrest Service paper as the max round available in 1983.

My experience is with humans who have been shot--and I have been amazed at how they keep going, especially when "high" on various substances--and how many rounds it takes to stop a man. Lots of variables with both bears and other mammals.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
Carrying a firearm outside of hunting season without the express purpose of hunting may be illegal, but more so is culturally unacceptable in Canada.

Thanks for sharing this, Peter and Judy. I didn't see any information in the link you provided about the legality of carrying a firearm, out of season, without the express purpose of hunting. If that's accurate—if it's prohibited—it ends my consideration of a firearms option for the Inside Passage. Similarly, I would like to hear more about cultural norms in Canada—and coastal B.C. in particular—relating to guns and bear protection.

In my opinion, if U.S. residents are unwilling to honor Canadian cultural values, we have no business entering your country.

Andy Ryan

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my opinion, if U.S. residents are unwilling to honor Canadian cultural values, we have no business entering your country.

And visa versa.

I just checked with a local firearms dealer here in Powell River. With a valid firearms license ( this is not a hunting license) Canadians can pack shot gun that is unmodified from the factory with a minimum length of barrel of 18 inches and an overall length of 26 1/2 inches for personal protection. That said I have only seen one person pack a gun on the trails around here, which many of you would find virtual wilderness.

He wasn't sure if the same reg would apply to non Canadian's.
He suggests contacting 1-800-731-4000 the RCMP firearms office. I called and they said just declare a long gun at the border, pay the $25 fee and you are good to go. A hand gun is a totally different story though.

Cheers
Ron
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

My experience is with humans who have been shot--and I have been amazed at how they keep going, especially when "high" on various substances--and how many rounds it takes to stop a man. Lots of variables with both bears and other mammals.
Bob, I too have been amazed over my lifetime at what injuries animals including humans can take & still carry on & then how small a injury can cause death. Several years ago, I read a study performed on a small herd of bison, that answered for me at least in some cases why shooting different animals in almost exactly the same area of the body with identical rifle & ammo, there could be such an extreme difference of ones dying instantly, while another may continue on for long distances or take several more hits to kill. The study with the bison indicated that instant death from a body shot was determined mostly by the stage of the heart beat. When the blood vessels where at max pressure as the bullet impacted it caused a further spike of pressure throughout the body rupturing many of the capillaries, especially those in the brain bringing on the instant death. During the low pressure heart stage none of this extensive damage elsewhere occurred. I can’t find the information on it now & don’t know if has been replicated or more such studies done since. I can’t remember now if during the test they were trying to make heart shots or near heart in other vital organs.

On the article that Pandion shared that had this quote “Scientists who have spent their careers studying grizzlies will tell you the big bears don’t try to kill their prey, they just eat it. At some point, the quarry dies, but the death is never pretty.” I think many who haven’t spent time observing animals in the wild don’t realize that this quote is the norm with all the predators. Us humans actually being the exception now as we mostly prefer our meat meals being cooked. As many animals as I’ve killed to eat since I was young, I would have to be very hungry before throwing a crab or lobster alive into a boiling pot of water. One can easily be shocked by or become accustomed to the different cultural behaviors of people.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandion wrote:
Peter & Judy wrote:
Carrying a firearm outside of hunting season without the express purpose of hunting may be illegal, but more so is culturally unacceptable in Canada.

Thanks for sharing this, Peter and Judy. I didn't see any information in the link you provided about the legality of carrying a firearm, out of season, without the express purpose of hunting. If that's accurate—if it's prohibited—it ends my consideration of a firearms option for the Inside Passage. Similarly, I would like to hear more about cultural norms in Canada—and coastal B.C. in particular—relating to guns and bear protection.

I agree with obeying the laws & trying not to offend the cultural values of any foreign country visited, but in doing so one must realize that just like her in the US, different states & even different areas in the states can differ greatly. The differences between rural & the major population areas of California can be just as different as here in Wyoming to the cities along the east edge of the Rockies such as Boulder to Denver, Colorado. And from my experience the same occurs in Canada. I doubt if carrying a shotgun along in the outback of the Yukon Territory will offend many you may meet, except in a Park area & even there not near like it would in other Canadian areas. In 2001, we first explored Atlin Lake, which is very close to the Yukon area @ most of the lake head area a Provincial Park. After walking close to the Llewelyn Glacier face, where we saw much bear sign, we returned to the town of Atlin & while there talked to many of its residents about our experiences. They laughed at us & said they never went into the back country, where we were hiking without being armed & not with just bear spray like us. In the northwest areas of Canada, I have found no negative reaction to having a shotgun for bear protection. One just has to make sure they wouldn’t indicate even thinking about using it for personal protection against humans. On this subject, I’ve listened to long lectures, while doing the border entry process, while confirming registration of the shotgun.

In 2001, we drove on over 1500 miles of gravel roads of the Yukon & some into the Northwest Territories in a 4x4 van pulling a inflatable boat on a trailer. We were seeking out remote rivers & lakes to explore. In the process, while passing through the mostly native town of Ross River, we had a very disturbing conversation with the grocery/hardware store owner there. The town was enduring tough times at this point due to the different 1st Nation clans in legal battle over mineral rights & most work was at a stand still. In the middle of the day there were drunk older folk stumbling about & very rebellious younger ones being obnoxious. The store owner said the older folk were being preyed on by the younger, who new when there checks came in & then would break in & take their money & tell them if anything was said, it would be even worse for them. Some had fire arms, but they were afraid to break the law to use them for defense. This is the only town in all our Canadian travels we didn’t want to be anywhere near for the night. I love visiting Canada, but also very glad to have home be a small Wyoming town in the USA.

Jay
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Peter & Judy wrote:

Thanks for the interest in Canadian cultural values when it comes to firearms in this country. I know that this is not a political forum and I will try to avoid politics in this. I will try to pass on my understanding of US history as best I understand it, my education background in part included studies in university in Canadian Studies, so my knowledge of Canadian history and politics is deeper. Canada and the U.S. are two very similar countries in many ways, as we are both parts of the new world, settled mostly by Europeans who took the land away from the native peoples that were here first. But there are differences in our history that make us different. We both had the same colonial parent England. But in 1776 when the 13 American colonies decided to separate, they did so by violent revolution and warfare. Some American colonists who wished to remain under the English crown, moved north to the Canadian Colonies, and became the United Empire Loyalists. The disputes over Canadian Colonies, between the French and the English, was settled in 1759 at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in Quebec. The English won, the French lost and decided it wasn’t worth fighting any more battles over a few beaver pelts. By 1867 the English Crown decided along with the Canadians that we might all be better off if the Canadians would take over governing themselves. We remained a part of the British Commonwealth of Nations and Queen Elizabeth II is still our Queen. We don’t need a president because we have a Queen and thus avoid a lot of politics every four years.

During and around this time between American Independence and Canadian Confederation our histories were very different. The US was still technically at war with England and did attack Canada in 1812 in an attempt to take the Canadian Colonies away from England. The English/Canadian Army retaliated and burned the Whitehouse. During this time the southern US States had an economy based on slavery, where as there was no slave trade to speak of in Canada. The US also adopted the 2nd amendment in 1791 to allow for militias to counter the threats of the English armies and in case there was an uprising amongst the slaves. The American civil war was one of the bloodiest wars of the 19th century and left deep scares in the US, that I see as still being there within some citizens of your country. During this time Canada lived in relative peace. In the second half of the 19th century there was a great movement to settle the west and the US waged many bloody wars with the Indians and also wiped out the great buffalo herds. Settlement of the Canadian west came later, basically after the American west was full. Typically in the US the settlers came first and the law came later. In the Canadian west the law arrived before the settlers. The North West Mounted Police was formed in 1873 and marched west the next year. The fear was that now as the American west was filling up, there would be a move by American settlers to occupy the lands of Canada. There was also a need to clear out the American Whiskey Traders who were wrecking havoc with the Indians, sign treaties with the Indians and open the land for orderly settlement. The NWMP were originally going to be called the NWM Regiment, but there was a fear that given that name, the very experienced US Cavalry would want to test their fighting skills. So they decided to name them the NWM Police instead. They were also dressed in the very British Red Serge uniforms to make them more visible to both the Indians and the Americans. By the time the settlers arrived, the Indians were settled on their reservations, there were police posts in all of the regions and settlement went forward in a very peaceful and orderly manor. This is why there are so few western movies based on the Canadian experience, as compared the American west. In reality it was boring here and the cowboys would rather play polo that go to the saloon.

One more example was the Klondike Gold Rush in 1898. When gold was discovered in Yukon it set a mad rush of men looking to get rich. Most of these men were Americans. When they arrived at the Canadian border, the mounted police were there to make sure they didn’t get into trouble. At the top of the Chilikoot Pass and the White Pass the Mounties checked that they had a ton of supplies each, enough food and clothing to survive a year in the Canadian north. When they arrived at Dawson City they were met by NWMP’s commanding Officer Sam Steele who confiscated all of the Americans guns. There was little violence in Dawson, the saloons, casinos and brothels were all closed on Sundays. This was a contrast to other mining boom towns south of the border like Tombstone, Arizona, where a ‘Boot Hill’ was a common part of the landscape.

So with the different history of our country where for the most part we have been able to live safely and peacefully, we have developed a different attitude towards firearms. Canadians are avid hunters, we will go to war when necessary, but we have never started a war. Ownership of firearms is highly restricted, but if you are hunter or rancher like myself, long guns are not too hard to obtain. Handguns, assault rifles and other military style firearms are either highly restricted or prohibited. Most Canadians feel no need to own firearms for personal protection. Gun violence and violent crime is quite low in our country. Most of the handguns used by criminals are smuggled in from the US. This is one of the reasons that the Canadian Border Agents are so tough on importation of guns into Canada by visitors. There are no open carry permits available to the general public, this is limited to law enforcement, or those that might need protection in their jobs like armored car drivers. To purchase firearms or ammunition you need to take training and be registered as a firearm owner. Police checks and permits are required for all firearm purchases. Canadians for the most part trust our government and police.

As far as the culture of carrying firearms in Canada, I rarely see guns except in hunting season. When not in use they must be properly stored in locked metal cabinets or with trigger locks, unloaded. Firearms are not legal in our National Parks, Provincial Parks and Marine Parks. They are legal on private lands and most public lands and can be carried for protection there if there is a threat from dangerous wildlife, this does not include handguns or restricted firearms. In very remote areas you may be more likely to see people with guns, but in more populated areas most people do not carry guns in the wilderness. My nephew, who works in BC forestry industry on the west coast of BC as a forester, often alone and on foot, only carries bear spray, as do all of his co-workers.

I have spent most of my life in Grizzly bear country and I have never carried a firearm for protection from man or beast. I started carrying bear spray perhaps 15 years ago, as well as bear bangers. I have had about 30 bear encounters in the wild. I have thought hard about whether I would carry a firearm into the wilderness, but I have decided that with my limited firearm experience it might prove to be more of a hazard than a safety device. In a close range surprise attack by a grizzly, I feel my chances would be better with bear spray than with a gun. I have no intention or desire to ever kill a bear and would only want to deter the attack. I am after all intruding in the bear’s home territory and maybe I deserve what I get for being there. Grizzly bears are on the endangered species list, human beings are not. Every year 2 or 3 people are killed by bears in Canada and I feel that if I use my head, make my presence known to the bear, turn around when necessary and carry bear spray and bangers, my odds are pretty good of survival.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
But the world, alas, has lost it's way. Up is down. Black is white. Good is evil...

Mark, I hope you don't mind me poking fun at you a little Wink ........

I love politics.....it's my "blood sport" (I am uninterested in football, baseball, or any other team sport). As I pursue my "sport", I run into statements like yours above....sometimes from one end of the political spectrum and sometimes from the other end.

An image then often comes to my mind....(I just can't seem to shake it Wink Laughing) ........

I see a person, clearly a very healthy and talented person, standing on their head. They exclaim: "What the hell, everyone is upside down."
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In line with Jay's comments, one fine day on Graham in the Charlottes, I saw a couple guys put down a young black bear, adjacent to a contemporary Haida cemetery, all within a hundred yards of the village. Nobody blinked or took much notice of the two shots from their deer rifles.

This village is on the grid, but a looooong ways from Vancouver or any other large population centers.

Canadian bush rules can be pretty wild.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter and Tosca, your two comments above have got to be the best I've read in a long time! Smile In fact, I hope you don't mind I share them on my Facebook wall! (I'll simply give credit to "friends on another forum".) Also gave the link. Colby
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This weapon would be illegal in Canada. If you check the firearm regulations attached below it will indicate what is and isn't legal. Basically the shortest legal barrel length is (470mm) 18.5" and the shortest legal firearm length for a shotgun of this type would be (660mm) 26". Also in most cases you cannot have a magazine capacity of more than five cartridges.

So this one is sold in BC and is in stock. It's pretty much the same gun with a 14" barrel. So it sure looks like the Shockwave would be legal.

[/img]

Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no opinion on bear protection but I have a Shockwave. If you get one practice, practice, practice! Because they are mostly shot from the side of your hip or ribs I have a tendency to shoot high, especially at close distances. They have a surprisingly tight pattern at 15 yards. And that’s in a non-threatening situation. With buck shot you will have 9 or fewer pellets and with a slug... well. If you aim this gun it must be held solidly as far away from your face as possible, and even then you might get excited and forgetful ( or sweaty palms ) and have a miserable trip back to civilization and the dentist. Check out YouTube for videos on how to handle the shockwave.

It's something in the water!
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bear Spray Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Thinking about buying some bear spray before traveling into bear country. (South end of Inside Passage this summer, and then Alaska portion next summer (2019)). Just wondering what others recommend or have used or purchased. I'm looking at Counter Assault off of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WAUWQQO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Man this turned into a SHIT SHOW!
Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

pay attention to your surroundings & have fun!!

[url][/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: