Back on the hunt 24 TC vs 22 cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Back on the hunt 24 TC vs 22 cruiser Reply with quote

I am shopping again for my next boat and comparing TC 24 and the 22. I have had 2 of the cruisers but never taken a ride or even looked in a TC 24. From my research I gather the TC rides better than the 22 and has a higher top end. Towing won't be an issue as I have a 17k rated capacity. What opinions do we have generally between the two boats? Please weigh in.
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both a 22 Cruiser and now have a 24 Tomcat. I can tell you that the 24 Tomcat is a whole different ballgame. Faster, smoother offshore ride, greater range, more space. Don't get me wrong, we have a deep love for our 22' Cruiser, but with a growing family, there is no question that the 24' Tomcat better suits the needs of our growing family.

The table seats all 4 of us (our kids are 5 and 9, so this is likely temporary). The Bed is a queen and really comfortable. I am 6'5" and always felt like I was crammed into a coffin in our 22. The back deck is large and when we meet up with our friends with 40' sailboats, we still end up hanging out on our back deck, given there is ample room to hang out and seating for 4-5 adults.

This discussion will inevitably evolve into how the TC255 is invariably a better boat. All of these points are correct. The bathroom is cramped and too small on the 24. The 25 looks better (less like a space ship). The back deck on the 25 is longer, with the bracket, which is better. I would not argue any of these points.

For me, it comes down to cost. A 24' Tomcat is 40% or so less than a TC25. If I could afford a 25, I would buy one in a heartbeat. All boats are a series of tradeoffs. There is no such thing as a perfect boat, just the perfect boat for "right now." For us the 24' Tomcat is the perfect boat for right now.

I have been capturing our adventures in both our 22 Cruiser and 24 Tomcat here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMC83MyFWgfzKgGB4MF1RXA

From where we are located (San Pedro), every Channel Island is in range. Last weekend we were treated to some of the best winter weather imaginable at Little Harbor on the backside of Catalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scv6hek-44g

If you ever have any questions, DM me and I would be happy to chat.

24' Tomcat- Oski
22' Cruiser- C-Pelican
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tim. The other issue--not as important in the NPW is the solar issues. There is a lot of window space angled so it collects heat--better in the PNW--not so good in Florida.

The top speed will depend on the motors, on both the 24 and 255. Both are more weight sensitive than the 22.

Displacement or semi displacement speeds may be a bit more comfortable in the C Dory 22. (Brent and Dixie have a lot of time at slow speeds in their boat).

There can be some "tunnel slap" in the Tom Cats. My impression is that it is less in the 24 than in the 255. The hulls of both boats are the same, but the 24 is going to draw a little less because less weight. Ideally the 24 would have as light motors as possible. The tunnel slap can be an issue at night when at anchor--there are ways around it--such as anchoring stern to waves....but that has some risk.

All and all the TC 24 is a step up from the C dory 22.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22 for the last 5-6 years and love it that said if I could make a lateral or somewhat lateral move into a 24 I would in a heart beat kids are older, space is a little tight, and the 22 is just too slow offshore for day fishing trips.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought a 24's and ended up buying a 25. The 24 has the great advantage of less roll and less slap in small chop from my understanding. Running at 25mph over 1-2 feet of chop would be a breeze, so if you love getting places where there is wind chop the Tomcat is a great choice.

One issue I found on the 24's was no brass keel protection on some of the years, maintenance on the older carbureted engines could be high and the electrical from the era when they were built was not as good as C-Dory's built in the last 10 years.

The fuel costs on a 24 are more than twice of the 22.

There was a great priced 255 Tomcat in San Fransico Craigslist, although it seems expensive look at the cost of repowering a 24 and doing the wiring and making it like you want. The stern steering station is sure nice.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030202025532/http://www.c-dory.com:80/TomCat%2024.htm
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Agree 100% with Bob.
A family should not buy a boat that's a finacial stretch...stuff happens, and when it does, the boat and truck have depreciated for sure (the house, maybe not so much, if you're not in sub-prime territory).
Seems to me like you are making a 24 work out well for you and yours.
Yeah, a 255 would be nice, like a Nordhaven 43 would be nice, but save the $4,000,000 and make your boat work out for you and yours while you have a whale of a good time on it!
Enjoy!
Let the Good Times Roll!
Cheers,
John

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: