The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Nashville Skyline Cumberland & Tennessee Rivers Crui
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AAisit

City/Region: Savanna
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, im just a lurker who did something similar a few years back, I started in MT Juliet, near Nashville, and went to Lenoir City. Rented a car to go back for trailer, one day drive to get trailer. Take a look at Corp of Eng. Lock status for Cumberland East of Nashville, I had found a couple of the farther out ones were on limited schedules or closed, do not know currently. Good Luck, have fun. Alan
JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Sounds Interesting but Reply with quote

50 NM sounds pretty aggressive with all the locks. Are you planning to cruise at high speed? If so, are not you going to cause wake issues with other people on the river?

This has been on our list of places to go.

Thanks,

John Coppedge
The Mighty Wench

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are already at five, so if someone cancels please sign me up
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we did the Snake and Columbia Rivers this past October, we ran mostly at 16mph. Actually did 75 miles on a few days. And our longest lock wait was about 45 minutes, most less time. No problems with wake as rivers were pretty wide and not much traffic. I'm not familiar with these rivers, but know on the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers, it's not uncommon to have to wait a few hours for lockage. I thought 50 was being overly ambitious leading up to the previous river cruise, and was surprised when actual mileage proved otherwise. So I'm just going with the flow this time. lol. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Jim's call if he wants more than 5 boats. But I don't see a major issue, such as limited dockage. There are always reasons we might drop out--health issues and hurricanes.

As for locks I don't know the time, we have spent a lot of time at Pickwick and the locks there are rarely impacted. Looking at the various AIS sights, there are few boats on both of these rivers where the AIS is picked up.

They are not going to be as busy as the Mississippi. Plus in Sept, the grain barges are not yet running full swing. So you may have some fuel petrochemicals and coal. On the Mississippi and St. Croix we easily made up to 70 miles a day. We tend to run a little faster than 16. The only issue as Sept ages, is that some fuel docks will start to shut down. We found this on the upper Mississippi. However, I doubt this will be an issue with this trip. There are not many "Loopers" on the Tennessee yet. The Joe Wheeler State Park gathering is not until Mid Oct.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BTDT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
This is Jim's call if he wants more than 5 boats. But I don't see a major issue, such as limited dockage. There are always reasons we might drop out--health issues and hurricanes.

Five boats sounds like a good group number to me, plus 16 mph is a tad slow for my Tomcat, so please disregard my request for consideration. I also have a heavy commitment in mid-October so probably best to limit my travel to Labor day meet at Alton.

Best regards,

John
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I'm not sure what Jim will chose to run. We ran 16 on the Snake and Columbia Rivers for the slowest boat. Otherwise, we probably would have ran right close to 20 mph. That's the thing about traveling as a group. If you want to stick together, you have to find out what the top speed of the slowest boat is and run with that. 16mph cruise for a CD-22, which most the boats indicating an interest on the cruise will be, works pretty well. (20 works fine as well on calm waters.) Of course folks can always run whatever speed they want and then meet up at the end of the day. Or anywhere along the route. I've done that with others as well, that ran faster than me.
BTDT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
John, I'm not sure what Jim will chose to run. We ran 16 on the Snake and Columbia Rivers for the slowest boat. Otherwise, we probably would have ran right close to 20 mph. That's the thing about traveling as a group. If you want to stick together, you have to find out what the top speed of the slowest boat is and run with that. 16mph cruise for a CD-22, which most the boats indicating an interest on the cruise will be, works pretty well. (20 works fine as well on calm waters.) Of course folks can always run whatever speed they want and then meet up at the end of the day. Or anywhere along the route. I've done that with others as well, that ran faster than me.

Thanks Colby. My Tomcat likes/needs 18 to 22 mph, and while 16 is doable anything much less than that seems to attract empty beer can tossing from fellow boaters experincing my wake. A major reason for my moving from 'blow-boats' to 'gas' was to increase exploration opportunities, and at the the risk of getting flamed, displacement speed just doesn't cut it for us anymore. I'm not sure if it's a 'time-is-running-out' thing (71 years young) or 22 years of military flying, but I seem to enjoy a 'crispy' planning speed over displacement or speeds near to it . As often is said "to-each-their-own".

We wish you and our fellow C-Brats all the best on your river trip and please keep us posted on your progress.

John and Vicki
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I have to laugh. Several of my trips have been with some slower enjoying types. And many times I'm the one running up ahead and waiting. Mr. Green I'll do hull speed to see and enjoy stuff, but many times I prefer getting to where I'm going. You'll find at the St. John's gathering you'll be going slow much of the time. (Have to due to Manatee restrictions and no wake or restricted zones we cruise in.) With those cruising with Jim of Pounder, fast is the operation. When I cruised with Tom in Isle Royal last year, when he did run on plane (as opposed to hull speed) with his 25, it was just a few mph too fast for me to run comfortably. (I can push it all the way up to 30mph if I have too, but only for short times, since I'm at WOT! and it gets a little squirrelly!) Each boat has it's sweet spot, even within the same size models. Personally for me, when I run with a group, I tend to like to stay with the group. However there are times when it works out fine to leave the group for a time while running at my own speed, then catch up or wait later. In the case of running the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers, it would probably work out for you to run ahead, and then wait at the next lock, or planned stop. I hear you about wake. Gets back to each boats sweet spot. And anytime you are plowing water, you are burning extra fuel to boot! Colby
BTDT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colby! I didn't mean to take the thread off topic, and re-reading my post I kind of sounded like I never like to go slow. I actually very much enjoy displacement speeds where there are lots of things to look at, such as busy harbors, rivers teaming with wildlife, or new vistas around every bend.

I think the St Johns river would be a classic example of going slow whereas parts of the Mississippi river resemble driving on an interstate through corn country. On large rivers or bays where the shoreline or view becomes hypnotic, I prefer planning or get-there speeds especially when a great destination is ahead.

I very much support those who choose to 'go-slow' and I was absolutely glued to the blog of Pat and Patty's completion of the Great Loop at 7 mph. They are the best!
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Floyd (Far C’r) about the number of boats we would like on this Nashville Cruise. We both liked having about 5 boats (what we had on the Snake and Columbia Rivers).

This is because we can move along and make progress, but we still have enough help from each other to get things done.

We are willing to draw the line at about seven boats on this trip. Currently we have the following 5 vessels:

1. Jim & Kath (Pounder)
2. Floyd & Eiko (Far C’r)
3. Colby (Midnight Flyer)
4. Dr. Bob & Marie (Thisaway)
5. Dr. Lew (Cat Claw).

If a few others want to join you are welcome to come.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: gathering Reply with quote

Jim , Please put me down as a participant . We have a venture 23 with a 115 merc we cruise at 20 mph but can go slower Thanks Jim
Dr Bob and Colby see you at Hontoon next month Jim (jennykatz)

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: both gatherings Reply with quote

So who will attend both gathering and cruise? It looks like 365 miles A good 7 hour drive for sure .The gathering ends in Alton on 9th pulling boat out early morning and driving 6-7 hours and then launching in cordell hull lake ? We better all be eating our Wheaties
Jim on( Little Treasure ) jennykatz
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be at both Jim (JennyKatz). Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our plan is leaving the Mississippi Gathering on the 9th and probably spending that night in our relative's driveway just outside of Nashville. The next AM launching...

I will be interested in the Itinerary which Jim comes up with--and perhaps we may not have to lug food for 15 nights! Maybe some great eating places along the way--and sample some good brews?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: