The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flawed but still interesting comparison- E-TEC and Yamaha
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Flawed but still interesting comparison- E-TEC and Yamaha Reply with quote

The linked video offers a comparison (flawed, more below) between a 150 hp Evinrude E-Tec and a 200 hp Yamaha. These engines would be suitable as singles for the larger C-Dory's. Both engines have roughly the same displacement- 2.8 liters for the Yamaha and 2.7 liters for the Evinrude.

Here is a link to the video- http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Evinrude/40500162_E-TEC-G2-150-H-O--vs--Yamaha-F200-4-Stroke_2018

The test mounted both engines on a 4,700 lb 26' x 8-10" offshore fishing boat. This is heavier than C-Dory's and the C-Dory 25 at least has a narrower and flatter hull. This weight and deeper hull than the C-Dory requires more low end torque to get up on plane, well a lot as the test showed.

They then ran each engine as a single with the other one trimmed up out of the water. The Evinrude would plane in about 12 seconds and topped out at 25 mph. The Yamaha wouldn't plane at all and topped out at 9 mph and 3,200 rpm.

They then changed props and claimed that they used the smallest, flattest pitched prop that they could for the Yamaha but that is questionable IMO and the Yamaha still couldn't plane the boat. They even swapped the engines port to starboard with the same result.

The real takeaway is that the E-TEC engine produces much more torque at low rpms than the Yamaha which lets it climb up on plane. Well all you have to do is read the specs to know that- it is a result of the two stroke design of the E-TEC.

So the test used a difficult to plane boat and didn't prop the Yamaha to let it rev up enough. So be it. The E-TEC is still a beast of an engine. I suspect that they will introduce a 100 hp version of the E-TEC G2 design and that will make it a perfect choice for the C-Dory 22. The G2 gets comparable fuel consumption to 4 strokes and in addition to more low speed torque has other advantages such as no oil changes and a high output alternator for battery charging underway.

David
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, The E-tec has far more torque.
They should have put on a lower pitch Yamaha prop, to get the rpm's up and help the motor rev up. BUT, the E-tec still would have outperformed the 4 stroke.
I had a RF246, heavy hard pushing boat if you wanted to push it into the 20 mph range ( semi-displacement hull ). Most all of these boats were rigged by dealers, and the motor would not reach recommended WOT rpm. Even down to a 11 pitch prop. To much weight/hull for to little motor.
This is what the Boat Test is revealing.
Some people like 4 stroke, some like 2 stroke. The choice is there.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard 150, HO 150, 175 and 200 Evenrudes are all built on the 2.7 liter block. Interesting comparison. I agree, they should have put an even lower pitched prop on the Yamaha...
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway - Yes, they needed to keep going lower in pitch until they achieved recommended WOT rpm's. Then read the test results on WOT speed and mpg.

Though most experienced boaters already know that given the same hull, the motor able to pull the largest pitch prop is going to have the highest WOT speed. Pitch is the amount of forward movement in one full rotation. 15 pitch will move 15" forward, a 19 pitch will move 19" forward.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propping a twin motor boat is not the same as propping one of a pair of twins.

Correct pitch for a twin is determined by both motors running at WOT.

A fair test would be to prop the two different boats (the one with E-TECHs and the one with Yamahas) correctly, with both engines running at WOT. Then stop, raise one motor and try to get on plane with just the other motor.

If the boat won't get on plane with one motor, then 'getting home' on one motor will be at displacement speeds. That is, unless you carry a spare, low pitch prop and you can change the prop on the water.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside pitch, one has to pay attention to speed of rotation. There is a gear case difference between the Yamaha and the E tec. Etec is 2.17:1, Yamaha is 1.86:1 on the 200, but 2.00;1 on the 150...
Mercury 150 is 1.92:1, Suzuki 150 is 2.50 : 1 So you can see that there is a whole range of ratios. The Yamaha is the lowest of the major manufactures. Suzuki is highest Also entering into the equation is the diameter of the prop and specifics of the cup and rake of the prop. Power props are different than speed props--even of the same pitch.

Also entering into the equation is the amount of "slip". All props slip to some degree. 15% is about average, 10% is doing very good, and 20% is ..you need to see what is wrong....
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would have included a Suzuki in the comparison. While my Tomcat has Honda 150's my previous boat had a Suzuki 175. With the help of PropGod it was propped perfectly for my use and it was my all time favorite outboard.

With 2500 hrs on my twin Honda's, my next re-power will be by Marc Wefing with Zukes 175 fly-by-wires. Laughing

C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave East is not propping my boat. What a bogus comparison.

Jay
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Green wrote:

Jay

No doubt. Ignoring the gear ratio differences and basing most of the test results on using identical props for the two engines is a joke.

He apparently does have a bias for Evinrude E-TEC engines as he uses an E-TEC for the performance numbers he publishes for his own line of boats.

But if I bought an E-TEC from him, I would have him select and tune the prop.

David
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
C-Green wrote:

Jay

No doubt. Ignoring the gear ratio differences and basing most of the test results on using identical props for the two engines is a joke.

David

Didn't see where they used identical props.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, Etec is an outstanding motor with very high customer satisfaction number. I've owned one for 6 years and the claims of ease of maintenance, winterizing and torque are true, at least on my little 25 hp Etec. (My 16 foot fishing boat). My experience with the smaller engine over 6 years would put it at the top of the list for a re power of a C-Dory of any size. However, in very close second place is Suzuki as my C Dory 22 had a pair of 50's on it and they were superb.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Eliump2147

City/Region: Cornucopia
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mighty Minnow
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on choosing a 2016 Evinrude E-TEC 50HP motor to repower a 16' C-Dory Cruiser?
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say if an E-TECH would be better on a 16, but I have an E_TECH 40hp on a 14ft Livingston.

The positives... Starts instantly, accelerates like a drag car (hold on or else). Uses very little oil. Has a 300 hr first service interval. Has a great top end speed, I get 26 knots WOT on a 14ft Livingston with just me aboard. Almost no service required.

The negative.... It's louder than the four strokes. That might be bad on a cabin boat with no rear bulkhead (like a CD 16. The 50 hp E-TECH is the same motor as the 40, but tuned for more hp. This is not the best idea on a lower performance hull, like a C-Dory.

The torque of the E-TECH is amazing. When you put the hammer down, the boat jumps forward and onto plane instantly. Sitting down and hanging on is required for full throttle starts.
Cfoster

City/Region: Louisville
State or Province: KY
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certainly no expert on propping motors and I think that all five major outboard builders build good engines now. For me the issue is living with accessible service availability while you own the engine. If you live inland as I do in KY. it’s a Yamaha or Mercury world. Suzuki, Evinrude, and Honda dealers are few and far between. I can find Yamaha and Mercury service easily in Louisville, Ky. and that is certainly not the case with the other brands. Therefore for my situation it will be Yamaha. I have owned one on my Grady White for 10 years now and it has been flawless.
Chris

MMSI #338079033
2008 Grady White Tournament 225
"There is nothing-absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: 50hp e-Tec Reply with quote

I have a 50hp e-Tec on my 16' C-Dory Fisherman and I love it. Smile

I carry a 6hp Evinrude kicker, two, 6gal fuel tanks and an 80 qt. ice chest full of down riggers and fishing gear. The ice chest also serves as an jump seat.

With all of that, plus my crab and prawn fishing gear up in the bow, she still handles like a sports car. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: