The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Nashville Skyline Cumberland & Tennessee Rivers Crui
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: The Nashville Skyline Cumberland & Tennessee Rivers Crui Reply with quote

After our successful 2017 Lewis & Clark Snake and Columbia Rivers Cruise, I was interviewing videographer Floyd (C-Dory Far C’R) about ideas for another potential expedition cruise. Floyd mentioned that he and his wife Eiko set off on a planned journey to the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers a few years ago but they had to abort the trip due to a family emergency. Floyd went to high school in Nashville.

Floyd and Eiko and myself and Kathy have now decided to do this trip in 2018. We will be launching Monday, September 10th at Grandville Marina and then we will head downstream, perhaps up to 700 NM of waterways.

This trip starts around Celina (Cordell Hull Lake) and will go at least as far as Chattanooga. If we have clear weather and we are making good time, we may go as far as Knoxville.

We are planning 14 days on the two rivers. We expect to average approximately 50 NM per day by water.

We will retrieve our rigs and truck on Monday, September 24th and then I will start driving back to California. Floyd may stay in the Nashville area for awhile after the water trip.

We have learned from the Columbia River trip that about five vessels on this kind of journey seems to work out. It is enough boats to create some resources if necessary to get things done but are not too many boats to bog down the entire group.

Floyd and myself hereby invite a few others to join us on this trip if they have the interest, enthusiasm, and the time availability.

The dates for this trip are set in stone. I am dedicating the month of September to this voyage. Floyd and I are leaving California on Tuesday, September 4th and heading East.

Does anyone want to join us in Tennessee for this adventure?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had planed to do part of that (Tennessee, from Pickwick to Knoxville) last summer after the Mississippi gathering. I know that you will be welcome at the Mississippi gathering this year--which fits in your time frame.

Assuming that no hurricane displaces us this year--we would love to join you. I already have the guide books and some charts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another trip I have been dreaming of doing since before having the right boat to do it in. Back in the day I even thought of building a raft to go down the Cumberland River. After you retire even though you think you have more time... you actually have less time to do the things in life that you need to do. Once again Jim is the catalyst everyone needs to get adventure rolling, thanks man!

As Jim mentioned, I planned to do this trip in 2014 and even got to New Mexico before I had to turn around because of an emergency. I have put together a folder on my Google Drive with information that I gathered which anyone is welcome to read or even add to.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U2UCSz7SLnDqWQfIqWRWo-mepTeaNCVJ?usp=sharing

I am looking forward to this trip and it would be really fun to share the experience with a few C-Brats

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't have one but two pregnant ladies in my office (small office) both due in September I'd live to join you guys.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, the Mississippi River gathering is September 7-9 in Alton, Illinois. There is then a Lake Powell gathering being planned for towards the end of September sometime. I am planning on both of those, however could possibly be persuaded to join you guys on the Cumberland & Tennesee Rivers and forego the trip out to Lake Powell. I'm already making one trip out west in May for the Friday Harbor gathering this spring/summer, then hanging around for a month to hopefully do some of the south end of the Inside Passage. I know you stated your dates are set in stone, but I'd recommend you make some minor changes and join the gathering at Alton. Give you a chance to meet some of the C-Brats from this side of the Rockies, and you might even possibly be able to start your trip from that gathering. Colby
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, That was superfast planning. If there is room I to would love to GO. Then I could take my boat to Florida And leave it there for the winter and be ready for spring of 2019. Lew
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry M Hay, is a "Riverlorian" who has plied the Cumberland and Tennessee River all of his life. There are a series of books--sort of Guide books--on these rivers (and others). His books are fun reading, and I have all of them...

A bit about Jerry Hay, and links to his other pages

We have family in Nashville, and Knoxville, and very close extended family at Pickwick. So there may be some resources there if necessary.

Great resources from Bluechablis! Thank you![/url]

Last edited by thataway on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob, Lew Cat Claw, and Colby, that would be great if you could go.

Thanks for the Mississippi River gathering invite. For me, I will have to pass on it.

There is 6 days of driving for me on the way out from California. We are going to use all the time we have budgeted just to get to Tennessee in a relaxing manner. We can't leave any earlier, and we only have the month of September to do this entire land and water trip.

With 14 days on the water, plus 12 travel days, that equals 26 calendar days. We leave September 4th and are back home by September 29th.

We have to stay focused on this one trip if we are to pull it off coming from California, given our time budget. The launch date and retrieval dates are set for this trip.

For those of you that live closer to Tennessee, and have the time schedule, I can see how you could attend both events. For me, I will have to focus on just the Columbia and Tennessee Rivers.
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to above say focus on just the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers!

Dr. Bob thank you for the chart references. I am going to order from him one book the Cumberland and one book on the Tennessee. Excellent.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to say it is only 326 miles from Alton to Nashville--but then I realized that the gathering broke up on the 9th, and thus the main night was on the 8th--too early for you all to spend the night at Alton (right along the way on the I 80 route), and drive on the next day....

We will drive to Nashville on the 9th, and probably stay with family that night--and meet up early on the 10th..
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I'll talk to you more at Hontoon to get your thoughts on the timing and schedule to meet up with them. I don't think Rosanne has her vacation yet for September, so we might be able to make some changes allowing her to go along on part of the trip also. I still have to look at the logistics for this anyway, but it would be new water for me, whereas I've been on Lake Powell.

Jim, remember those extra days that weren't needed last October, and how we actually did it in less time and got done earlier? You know where I'm going with this! Mr. Green (Keep the Mississippi River gathering in the back of your mind! 500 miles a day will get you there by evening time on the first day of the gathering. Then launch a day later than planned on the Tennessee. The food at these east of the Rockies gatherings is spectacular! Wink Very Happy (Lew and Floyd, race him out here, you guys would enjoy the gathering before the Tennessee as well! Very Happy Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd, I didn't want to download the river charts, and there is no preview. Do you know what versions those Tennessee and Cumberland charts are? The latest ones I have are 2013. Actually anyone can download the latest versions from ACE. Also, while I haven't looked at mine closely lately, I believe Quimby's Cruising Guide is an excellent resource. Colby
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: tenn Reply with quote

That would be a Great trip I’ll see you guys at Hontoon and talk about logistics .i just don’t like driving by myself
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby If we leave Alton on Sunday the 9th, there is plenty of time--My recollection is that the gatherings break up on Sunday, and 2 years ago we were the only ones staying Sunday night.

The current COE charts on the Tennessee River are 2013. There may or may not be corrections..But the rivers change enough that they are never "perfect"...Much of the Tennessee, (the one I am more familiar with) is more like a series of lakes above the many dams of TVA. Of course the current is quite variable. But these Rivers are navigable by 9' draft barges, so I don't see any major issues with a 4 to 5 year old survey.

You are going up river on the Tennessee--but again a lot of lakes.

I tossed my older Quimby's but I don't think it had much on the Tennessee upper parts. I do have the older (1995 by Ramsey) Cruising Guide to the Tennessee and TenTom. There are several hundred pages on the part of the Tenn, we are looking at..the phone numbers are going to be obsolete, but anchorages will be fine...As I looked at it for last year, there are plenty of marinas and free docks along the way on the Tenn. Probably some places one might anchor.

Also this is in hurricane season, and the effects of those storms can well be seen on the Tennessee River, so lay days are important. On the other hand, I am fairly sure we could get one of our relatives or close friends to provide us transport back to our trucks if the need were there. (Marie is from Corinth, MS. which is close to Pickwick, and there are a lot of folks she knows in that area.)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, sounds good. I think I already pretty much prioritized this one over Lake Powell. Yes, you are probably right about many pull out from the Mississippi gathering before noon. I gave Rosanne the dates about an hour ago, so when it's time for her to put in for vacation, she knows what we are looking at. I'm not too concerned about the River characteristics. Especially since I don't tend to be the lead boat. Mr. Green But still it is nice having the information. (I do have fairly new charts on my chartplotter however.) I did see the one launch marina when I briefly looked at my Quimby's. I'll have to look at stuff closer later. I'll probably just plan on following you over on the 9th if that's ok.

Jim, I think you can put Midnight Flyer down again as a definite participant. You haven't done me wrong yet. lol! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: