View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpage3

City/Region: Pendleton SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Eressëa
Photos: Eressëa
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Ready, Willing and Able Reply with quote

I am brand new to this forum, but I myself am far from brand new!
Let's just say I was around when we had a really great leader in the white house, Dwight D. Eisenhower. If I knew I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself!

I joined up here to try and find a boat to buy. I am a repentant sailboat snob who now knows its great to go straight!
I hope to find a well cared for 22 or 25 C-Dory (preferably) ready for a new owner. I am ready, willing and able to buy. I live in Charlotte NC.

I didn't know if this is how I will find one but I thought I'd give it a shot.
My personal email is gpage3146@yahoo.com. if anyone has a good lead.
thanks in advance for any help. Greg

Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Ready & Able Reply with quote

Greg, Welcome to the C-Brats, you will have heaps of fun here, its even addicting! And I share your thoughts about Eisenhower since I was also around during his time in office. You should check the lower right-hand corner of this home page on a weekly if not more often basis for the boat you want. You might also check the Craigslist postings in your area. I just did and found a new listing in central Florida which is appropriately priced for its vintage. You can view it using this link: https://treasure.craigslist.org/boa/d/2004-dory-22-cabin-cruiser/6472995040.html I can see the "hunt" is on and I wish you well.
schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Greg. Check out the listings on the lower right side of C-Brats home page.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I saw Ike at the Valley Forge Boy Scout Jamboree in 1950 at Valley Forge.

What is your realistic budget? There are several 25's on the East coast. You will be very lucky to find one close. Some sellers are realistic in the price. The lowest I am aware of is the one in Pensacola (2006), which I have looked at, and it is $49,900. Boat needed some cleaning--the interior had been changed by someone--so the dinette was a little smaller. Biggest negative was the high hours on the engine. I think it is a gamble on that engine, considering the overall condition, so I would bid lower.

There is also a 2005 in Fort Walton for $64,900. No trailer, so figure 4K for a decent trailer--this makes this boat un-realistically expensive...for that year.

There is a 2006 for $69,900 with a trailer in VA--

There were a couple in NC, but don't know if still for sale...

Finding real buys on a 25 will be very rare.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Ready, Willing and Able Reply with quote

I am new also, I have purchased (and sold ) many items. One thing I can tell you is to be careful, If you purchase a boat based on a "sea trial, inspection" by someone else. C dorys are a very desirable boat and hard to find "the one". A lot of times they are out of state (like mine). I am finally getting my boat to represent the boat that I purchased, after a lot of $$$, aggravation and time. My boat was purchased out of state and the local marina did a full inspection etc. HAHAHAHAHA
You need to request pictures. Current pictures, of every inch of the vessel including inside the hull and all storage cabs. I hope this saves you or maybe the next guy what I went through. In the end... sooooo happy to own a C dory.

Far as this site... great bunch with tons of answers. Welcome!!!

Richard
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Yachtworld and just do a keyword search for C-dory and you might find something there as well. We found our 25 that way and it was a great buy for us.

Welcome to C Brats!

Another Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Bob, you remember FDR, Truman and then Ike.

Boris
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, on Page3, Welcome to the C-BRATS site. Great place, good folks and all the info you could want on C-Dory boats here. Good info so far. Best of luck. Just know that the one for you may not be in the next county, might be across the country. Lots of great help here on the site.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gpage3

City/Region: Pendleton SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Eressëa
Photos: Eressëa
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
As to my budget, I am also considering buying new, but I would prefer to keep the $ under 80 K.
My plans for the boat are for Carolina coastal crushing; Albamarle sound, inner coastal, Charleston harbor etc.
My wife is willing to take a long trip to Boston harbor where we started our sailing experiences on the Charles.
Any thoughts on a C-22 VS a C-25 or C-Venture 23 for several weeks abroad?
Thanks
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpage3 wrote:

Any thoughts on a C-22 VS a C-25 or C-Venture 23 for several weeks abroad?
Thanks

I have spent 2-3 weeks at a time, with wife, cruising PWS on a 22 cruiser. Pretty tight.
The 25 we have now is far more comfy. Mr. Green Beer Wink
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did lots of 2-3 week trips on our 22, and a 2-month SE Alaska cruise. It worked for us, living far from the ocean, with a modest budget and a small tow vehicle.

Our 26-footer is considerably more comfortable and better equipped, needs a 3/4 ton diesel to haul it across the mountains, and cost 4x as much.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Don't Give Up. Reply with quote

It took me a year to find my CD22 because I refused to drive to the west coast or PNW to buy one. Then four came up for sale in Florida. A quick trip and I bought the second one I checked out. Don't give up. Great little boat. By the way, many of us are sailboat veterans.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the 22 and 25 is significant. We went back to a 22 because of the ease of trailering, and we are using the boat less. The portipotty under the bunk, works fine for us, and we spend up to a month at a time. I am 6'2", @ 185#. Marie is 5'8 and family slim.... We have enough room, and the boats after the early 2000 era are easier to get into the V berth. Also the port bulkhead can be removed.

The major issue is the private enclosed head. There is a bit more room in the 25 in the forward cabin, and that was my excuse for buying both the Tom Cat and the 25. In that budget you might find a Tom cat 255.--it has even more room than the C Dory 25--also a faster boat and does better in the chop.

The tow weight of a C Dory 22 will be in the 4500 to 5500# range: 1/2 ton truck
The C Dory 25 is going to run from 7,000 to 8500#:3/4 ton (and some new 1/2)
The Tom cat 255 is going to be close to 10,000#. 3/4 better 1 ton.

Since you have been a sailor, you know to factor in upgrades--often electronics, anchoring gear etc. Also you probably want air conditioning (The RV units have some real advantages: no critters such as small fish or jelly fish to plug the intakes), and it can be run on land or a boat hoist. Many of us travel, staying on the boat in campgrounds. I figure 25% of the "cost" of the boat for upgrades, so there aren't too many surprises. As for surveyors--there are a few good...Never use a surveyor recommended by the seller or marina, unless you have independent confirmation of the competence of that individual. I agree with lots of photos.

It may be that a good well cared for 2006 would be worth 70K. I had considered buying a very clean, with full electronics, generator, AC etc. 2006 for 62,500 in 2015 to leave on the West Coast...But then my son bought a boat for Dana Point CA.

Yes, many of us are "retired" or retreaded, sailors...I have sailed in your part of the World--and even considered retiring there--great area! We need to take our 22 over there.

Come on down to St. John's river, Hontoon Island gathering. There are some cabins on the Island to stay in, or your can camp. You can see, and most likely ride on all of the models there. It is the first week in March. Probably about the same length drive as from Pensacola. I have been told 3 Rivers will have several new boats there also.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I was 15 when Ike turned over the office to JFK, so I remember him pretty well!

We have had both a CD22 and a CD25. It is not just the enclosed head. There is simply more elbow room on the 25. That comes at a cost, not only in initial purchase price, but also in tow vehicles and perhaps more importantly over the long term, operational cost. The CD22 I am guessing will use about half the fuel that the CD25 does at cruising speed. Slow the CD25 down to or near hull speed, and the difference is much less.

My suggestion is see if you can get a ride on one of each and see how it feels for your own needs. I'll bet if you were to post here requesting somebody to show you their boat, you would get takers somewhere close to home. Check the Cruises and Events, find one near and just show up and introduce yourself.

Having just finished eight months on Daydream on the Great Loop, we cannot really imagine our doing it in a CD22, but others certainly have. You just need to try them both on for size! And a used CD25 certainly is within your budget.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate deleted!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: