The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seattle Boat Show - Such a sparse showing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Seattle Boat Show - Such a sparse showing Reply with quote

A TomCat and a 23 Venture, does not seem like the dealerships and factory are putting on much of a showing. After walking around, thought, I'm seeing all kinds of aluminum skiffs ( very simple low cost models ). Why is the factory not putting on a larger show ?
Off course, the Ranger Tugs display was very impressive.
Was anyone else disappointed ?

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointed in the C-Dory showing? Almost always, at least some, but then I am very biased -- some would say Laughing

The primary reason for showing the Venture and the TomCat; easy they are more $$'s for the mfg. And if you noticed, they were shown pretty Plain Jane, not like the Seasport with the accent lights or the Rangers with the flowers and wine bottle on the table and pillows on the couch.

But then these guys are not marketers. They are manufactures who largely depend on the boat's laurels to sell themselves. And yes the boats have laurels, but the mfg stance is to show the ones that brings them the most $$ return.

The absence of the C-Dory line-up has been addressed most every year going back several years. It isn't new it is just disappointing.

I noticed that the vendor portion was smaller and fewer this year than before too, and noticed that West Marine was not there this year.

I was also thinking we might see more C-BRAT faces at the potluck, and hoping for that but I know it is not an easy "to-do" for the out of towners.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Harvey's comments, here's a couple of other thoughts-

1. Unlike Ranger, the C-dory 'Factory' does not sell direct, so it's actually the local C-Dory Dealer that puts on the display. The dealer also sells a number of other lines, including the other NMI brands (SeaSport, Osprey, etc) plus a couple of ski-boat / runabout lines, as well as a couple of those aluminum brands that are so ubiquitous these days. It's a lot of time and effort to drive all those boats down from Mount Vernon and back.

2. The available inventory of C-dories may be low at the present time. I drove by the dealer on Tuesday and noticed no C-dory's in the lot, assumed they were all down at the show. If there was only 2 at the show, that might be all that's currently available to display. Just a guess though.

-Mike

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the way it has been for years, since the Reynolds' factory ownership tanked. There were a couple years in there where NO C-Dory was shown at the Seattle Boat Show. It comes down to having the resources to promote your product: Ranger Tugs management knows that they will sell everything they display at the boat show. The current C-Dory factory entity is building boats on a sold-order basis. Frankly, the fact that they had a TomCat and a 23 in the show is actually an increase from their previous presence.

We ordered our CD-25 at the 2006 Seattle Boat Show, from Jeff Messmer (the VP and marketing guy at Ranger), and they had one of every model on display... and filled much of their year's production from sales at that show. There were smiling reps from the factory, in matching C-Dory polos, there to answer questions and get you in the line to put your money down. Yep, those were the good ol' days.

It's a tough Catch-22: you can't sell what you don't show, and they don't have the sales/production/resources to make one of every model for display.

The last Seattle Boat Show we went to was 6 years ago. In spite of encouragement and offers to help man the display from some of the Brats, there was one lonely CD-22 in the show... back in a corner, and completely unadorned with the usual place mats, pillows, a bottle of wine/glasses, etc that smart marketers use to help potential customers "picture the dream."

Some manufacturers understand that they are selling a lifestyle, and some think they are just making a boat.
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting time in the pleasure boat market and I'm rather glad that I am not making the decisions for a manufacturer. The boom days before the global financial crisis are gone and the market seems to have recovered but the "geezers" have probably bought their boats and later generations are looking for a different lifestyle. There is much discussion over on the Ranger tug website about the changes they have made this year. The original R21 and R25 boats that were the backbone of the success story have been "suspended" as production is fully loaded with the R23 and R27OB. Whether this opens up a spot in the market for an alternate trailerable classic diesel inboard remains to be seen. There will certainly be more changes to come. Who would've thought even a short while ago that Brunswick would be selling the Sea Ray line, once the flagship of the company.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the main problem with the current factory and dealers is that they just do not and can not understand or appreciate the cdory line as we do. They see it simple as a fill in boat. You cant afford a seasport? well heres a cheaper fishing boat. But they refuse to make the necessary changes to transform the cdory into a serous fishing boat.

They do not understand a cruising boat of this size or the people that love them. I have tried countless times to explain it to the builders and salesman. You can see their eyes glaze over after about 10 seconds.

It truly is a shame. I do drive by the dealer in mt veron all the time and all winter they had 8 or so cdorys parked at the fence. I have no idea why they are not at the shoe other then its a line they dont really believe in.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 2 C-Dorys at the Seattle show is 2 more than will be at the Boston show! I'm going next week and I know there won't be any there.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Starcrafttom, it is a shame.
The wine, ambiance, and lighting is already in place, C-brats organization.
The dealership may favor there other boat lines, harder to be enthused when you favor your brawny offshore Osprey or Weldcraft.
Not the right boat mix ?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just grateful that the C-Dory line continues to exist under NMI and the Wrights. It has been on the brink of extinction at least three times since we bought our CD25 in the waning Reynolds years. Do I wish it were otherwise as far as the marketing of C-Dorys? Yes. But it is not as though the Wrights don't KNOW what C-Brats want, it just does not match up with their business objectives, and I cannot fault them for that.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat is absolutely right. The Wrights are not newbies at building and selling boats. They've been in the business for at least a couple of cycles. The C-Dory is a boat that probably returns a good profit, or they wouldn't build and sell it. However it's not the most profitable boat they build, I'd guess. And they don't own the molds. We ought to be glad the C-Dories are still being built and sold.

You know that they could redesign it and start selling that version. Then listen to the screams.

Oh, wait, did I just say that Pat was ABSOLUTELY right? Oh, my god (or yours.)

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, I believe it was clarified that the Wrights do own the molds now.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbies or not, constructive criticism is just that. Successful businesses know that marketing is just as important as manufacturing." Build it and they will come" is fine in mythology but doesn't work in business.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimoii wrote:
The boom days before the global financial crisis are gone and the market seems to have recovered but the "geezers" have probably bought their boats and later generations are looking for a different lifestyle.

Correct !

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I can say for sure about the Seattle Boat Show. First, the Cutwater and Ranger Tugs are beautiful boats that have superior fit and finish. Second, there are some really bad welding jobs on some of the aluminum boats.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
Two things I can say for sure about the Seattle Boat Show. First, the Cutwater and Ranger Tugs are beautiful boats that have superior fit and finish. Second, there are some really bad welding jobs on some of the aluminum boats.

And the fit and finish on the V-23 and the TC-255 (which I didn't look at really close) was very nice. They look very well done.

Everything so far sounds right on.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: