The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Toland 18 and cruiser 22 comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Toland 18 and cruiser 22 comparison Reply with quote

we are dreaming and actively looking for a cruiser 22 but considering a toland 18 as well . is there anybody who could give us a comparison. We would mainly be using it as a boater home on lake powell and around the country. We do not fish ..just love the C dory lifestyle. It seems the toland would be easier to handle and trailer around the country (we are in our 70's but how does it handle in comparison and it seems we would sacrifice space and we could use the extra room inside and out. What are the pro and cons ....grateful for your opinion.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very similar on a feature by feature basis with the Toland being more compact in about every dimension. If you are small people, you may not really notice the reduced space but if you are not, I would lean heavily toward the 22 cruiser or 23 venture. Our 19 cruiser weighs over 4000lbs including the single axle trailer and I doubt a boater homing ready toland 18 would weight significantly less. The towing of 3500-4500 lbs is pretty darn similar in my experience so either boat would put you toward the same towing experience.

That brings me to the really issue. The Toland is a very neat boat, but there are so precious few of them, that going toward the 22 will at least have you boating some time in the near future.

Unless I could view a Toland in person, I would also not be fully confident enough to buy one over a 22.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Greg. If you can find one....Less storage room, smaller cockpit. Would your legs and wife's legs fit under the small table? Enough room in the cabin and cockpit? Fuel capacity 24 gallons vs 46 to 50 gallons (but smaller engine)

Certainly the boat would be slightly easier to trailer, but we have no trouble handling a 22 at age 81. I personally would have a hard time in an 18, but am 6'2", 185#...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In C-Dorys, The 19 is much more comparable in size to Toland, but it does have a hard aft cabin bulkhead. The Toland would about fit inside a C-Dory 22 Cruiser.

The towing on a 22 would be nearly the same (400 to 500# tongue weight and about 4500 to 5000 pounds on the trailer) and handling at the dock and ramp are easy (for me, and I single hand) to manage. There is easy room for two boater homing or even extended cruising with reasonable pre-planning.

The availability of a Toland is probably going to keep you looking for considerably longer (unless you have one in sight currently) so again the 22 CD will get you on the water much sooner.

This is a Toland 18. compare the size of the person at the helm

Here is a C-Cory 22 Cruiser for comparison.

Best in your decisions:
Harvey
SleepyC Moon

chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside, the Venture 23 was mentioned. If you find one (and they are scarce and will be more expensive) you may be attracted by the more finished interior if you are to spend a good deal of time aboard. Watch out for the towing weight. The Venture can be 1000 lbs heavier than a 22 Cruiser.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about the Toland a bit more. I think it could be a perfect solo cruising platform. Like an expanded 16 with features of the 22.

Greg
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with all that's been said so far, and will also offer an additional thought.

For those of us that have owned multiple boats in the 18 to 30 or more linear feet range, we know that as the length in feet goes up, the volume expands to the third power, and the resultant living comfort expands even to a higher degree, then takes on a new dimension with extended time when we are confined within those boundaries.

The Toland 18 compared to the c-Dory 22 is not only shorter by 4 feet, but in terms of living space has approximately only 55% of the internal volume of the CD-22. (By the same comparison, the CD-22 has 68% of the volume of the CD-25.)

Maybe the best analogy for the three would be comparing a VW Kombi bus with class C motor homes of 22 and 25 feet.

(or)

Shoulder to shoulder, vs room to move, vs space to have some space for comfort.

Additionally, the way to get some more living and comfort space on any of these would be to add a full canvas cockpit enclosure, though it would have to be collapsed for highway towing.

Hope this helps!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: