View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: crabs Reply with quote

Terrific!!! How many pots did you put down? How long will the crabbing be GOOD? Lew
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five pots for the two of us and one crab ring used at anchor.

Crabbing is open year round in the river and they are just now starting to get full of meat. The commercial season has been delayed until at least mid December and I hope they wait until the end of the month. They want the crab to be nearly full before opening the pro season.

Once the big boys start crabbing in the ocean, the larger crabs will start disappearing from the river. They have to be a quarter inch bigger for the commercial crabbers so the one ones left will be barely legal or just under the size limit. We usually give up on the river about two weeks after the pro season starts.

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Nice! So what are your thoughts on Crab Rings? I'm seriously considering buying one, just to have for next time I head out west. I used to have one some time ago, that actually folded up in half. I'm looking at one now that just flattens out it appears. But the top ring is 30". That's still a lot of space needed for storage on a 22. Colby

I don't crab often, but when I do, I prefer to use crab rings! Been using them since the late 80s (I think they were mandatory at one time back then), and have been using them ever since. With 2 rings, we'll drop one in one spot and another in another spot, and just motor back and forth checking them, about 15-20 min between pulls.

When the limit is only 5 per person, and only 2 people on board, we've never not limited after a couple hours of crabbing. Makes it more "fun" in my opinion and 2 rings stacked don't take up much space on the boat or in the garage.

Some crab will escape as you pull them up, but when in 50-60 feet of water, it doesn't take long to pull up, so the rings are usually still quite full. As long as you're into them in the first place.

-Mike

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo, that ring is pretty much what I'm looking at buying. The one I had before, was a long time ago, from when I was in Alaska. But it also folded in half, so you ended up with a "half moon" to store. Not being real patient, the 15-20 minute wait is long enough. lol I figure when I get to Alaska or a Friday Harbor gathering, it'll just be something I can throw over to kill some time. Guess I'll need to research the crabbing season and requirements a bit more. Glad the curtain thing worked out. Looks nice in the photos. Colby
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until TyBoo Mike took me to get 2 more crab pots in Oct. I would put down 2 pots then use 2 rings while the pots were soaking. This was legal in northern WA with 2 people onboard. If the crabbing was very good the rings would get your 10 crabs and leavethe 2 pots for next day. The rings will keep busy. Bring the rings up as fast as you can and the water pressure will keep most of the crabs in. Lew
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike.

Nice job on the crab. You really have it figured out.

We greatly appreciated the ten crab that you gave our C-Dory group. We all enjoyed the treat!

You also have a great girlfriend.

Jim & Kath on M/V Pounder

Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm, not to rain on your parade Mike ole boy, but ya do realize those are just like Wrangells town crabs... I callem 'poopcrabs' ;D cuz it's true, too close to all that stuff. I go out a few miles, but that's probably just an illusion to. And it don't make any money or sell boats either... jus sayin! Neutral Mad Rolling Eyes
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a season that was just rings, no pots. I still have a variety of stuff in my shed that isn't used anymore. My favorite for ring season was a slip ring. All you have to do is get it off the bottom and it closes up. Legal as a ring, but you don't have to pull like crazy to keep the crab pinned in the bottom of the ring.

https://www.ebay.com/i/302509615243?chn=ps

The only problem was that for several years we had pot thieves. Losing over $100 worth of pots takes the fun out of it. That and a "season" that's only certain hours on certain days. It makes paying $15 for a crab not such a bad deal.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went crabbing off the dock at Tokeland Saturday. (yes that's a town not a state of mind)
We kept 5 nice Dungeness crabs in a two hour pot soaking. The weather was perfect , sunny and the mid 50's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: