The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/18 - 05/20 - 2018 Friday Harbor CBGT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: 05/18 - 05/20 - 2018 Friday Harbor CBGT
From 18 May 2018 to 20 May 2018 (included)

We have confirmed dates from the port now!

May 18, 19, and 20 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

We added Friday again to the reservation because so many boats show up early each year. Similar plans to last year including lots of dock space, Friday restaurant dinner, and Saturday potluck of course. More details to follow as spring grows near.

Can we get a signup list?

Greg, Cindie and Aven

Added to Calendar
Signup list
-TyBoo

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Flyer will be there, with or without the admiral, but she's planning on coming too if her work schedule allows it. Our plans are to arrive by Thursday, and then hang around for a week after the gathering to cruise with anyone that will allow us. We'll use the sling at Cap Sante marina so be coming from and returning there. One early question, do we each call to confirm dock space, or is that done thru the gathering hosts? And specifically what about Thursday night if we plan on arriving Friday Harbor then? Or is it best to arrive on Friday? Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah Hooo Exclamation Very Happy Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Great Greg and Cindy and Aven. What a great time to be had by all.

Colby, et al, You do not need to arrange with the Port of Friday Harbor for stays on Friday night. When you arrive, the C-BRATS will be on the inside of the dock to the right, inside the (I believe "H" dock), the farthest starboard side dock. We usually take up the full dock so you can pick whatever is open. If there are little orange flags on the finger docks, that spot may already be taken and the boat is off fueling or fishing. After you get in and get settled, go up to the office and be sure and tell them you are there with the C-BRATS. On the seaward end of that first dock to stbd, there is a little building and a sign with their FH Port VHF channel. If you are arriving earlier than Friday you give the port a call (usual standard for anywhere) and check in, following their instructions. If you let them know you are there for the C-Dory group they will probably put you over on H dock. There are lots of places to stay in the area, other marinas, state parks or anchorages.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, since I bought a crab ring for next time I am out west. Will I be allowed to use it then and what is the best or some links to go to for regulations dealing with crabbing?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signup list is here.
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Another question, since I bought a crab ring for next time I am out west. Will I be allowed to use it then and what is the best or some links to go to for regulations dealing with crabbing?

Crabbing does not open till July in time for the 4th festivities and stays open till Labor Day weekend

Shrimp season should be going starting the first weekend of May

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Cross fertilization Reply with quote

Seeing as each year:
Huntoon Island is the first of the season on the lower Right Coast, and
Friay Harbor C-Brat gathering is the first on the upper Left Coast and
Several C-Brats will attend both

Do we need some kind of traveling trophy or exchange?

Sleepy-C and Two Bears, at least, are going east. Midnight Flyer and Sleepy-C have committed to both. What can the North-westers bring south & what can the Lower Left Coast folks share with the Upper Right?

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Crabbing does not open till July in time for the 4th festivities and stays open till Labor Day weekend

Oh! Well that sucks! Crying or Very sad Guess I'll leave the new crab ring home, unless I decide to head on up to Alaska this year after the gathering. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do we need some kind of traveling trophy or exchange?

I'd just be happy with decent weather for both the drive and the gathering. My wife and I were out on our own in the San Juans a few years back in June, and it was pretty chilly. Finally gave in and bought a little electric heater at the hardware store in FH. I have the Webasto now though! Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as we have a set of nearly parallel post on two separate threads. So I am reposting here too.'

Quote:
"Sleepy-C and Two Bears, at least, are going east. Midnight Flyer and Sleepy-C have committed to both."

Not sure I have committed, I have heard it is possible, (to be committed), and I might be, (could be medical or psych), I have heard rumors of both, and though possibilities exist, I might have to resort to other options.

Chuck, thanks for the positive encouragement. I have been directionally challenged at times, I do lean to the non-mossy side of the trees.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

And Colby, I don't think you can use your crab trap for shrimp Sad

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think you can use your crab trap for shrimp

Yes, and no. Wink

True, you would need a pot specifically designed for spot shrimp (cage/net holes essentially no bigger than 1", and a completely enclosed pot), but that's all. One can purchase a pretty cheap shrimp pot. The big expense is all the other equipment one needs: at least 400' of line; big buoy(s); weights for the pot; and most expensive, a pot puller).

One can shrimp without the puller; I've done it twice. Once alone when my puller broke; I had to haul 350' of line by hand; it took me 2 hours, and I wore this 72 year old man out, but I did it. Second time when I forgot the puller and my buddy and I pulled up pots twice (BTW, much easier/faster with 2 people because you can trade off after every 15' of line or so). Maybe you have the line, or can use it for other things. Maybe you have several smaller buoys you can string together.

I love shrimping, but I find it much harder than crabbing. Crabbing is typically in 30' to 80' of water; shrimping in 300' to 400' of water. Shrimp locations typically have bigger currents and the forces on all that line etc are far higher. You have to try to lose crap equipment; shrimp equipment is easy to lose as soon as anything goes wrong.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's a crab ring, and the holes in the netting are pretty big. Dang. Really thought I'd have a chance to use it. I'll hold on to it. Never know when the opportunity will arise. Speaking of opportunities, while I'd really like to get to SE Alaska this summer, I'm still leary about going up without any other boats. So, another option I'm looking at is maybe staying in the south half of the Inside Passage, after the FH gathering. My wife will have about a week available after the gathering to cruise with me, then I'll have to get her to an airport so she can fly back home for her work schedule. Just wondering if anyone going to this gathering, has plans afterwars to cruise to the Broughtons Archipelago, Princess Louisa Inlet, Charlotte Falls, etc, and wouldn't mind another boat tagging along? Colby
johnpurvis

City/Region: Meridian
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Firefly
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

Colby, Kitty and I are hopefully going to the CBGT and would love to join you for the week after. We'll talk as we get closer. John & Kitty on Firefly.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! However due to some changed plans this week (not getting to Seattle area to visit with my brother) we are going to attempt to do it that weekend after the gathering. My wife has a limited time, so we thought it would be best to head back into port on Thursday, stay with my brother that weekend, then my wife will have to fly back home on Monday to get back to work, while I go back out on the water single handling for up to a month. As for heading back into port, I still have to do some research, but my brother lives in Graham which is SE of Seattle. For now I'm planning on launching at Cap Sante using the sling launch. They have good parking for the rig then. However, if I can find something closer to Graham to either launch out of for the entire time, or just to return into for that weekend, that would be worth consideration. Looking for suggestions from the locals.
C Horse 1

City/Region: Longview
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C Horse
Photos: C Horse
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Friday Harbor Reply with quote

Hello just purchased my C Dory and am planning on going to FH in May and look forward to meeting you all. Jim and Kandi. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: