The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water in hull compartment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Water in hull compartment Reply with quote

Hi, sorry but this is lengthy to explain better. When I got my 19 ft. angler (a few months ago) I noticed water in the hull and it was all moldy and quite ugly. I bailed it out, sprayed the inside with a mix of water/bleach, washed it out, wiped it down and did it a few more times. The owner said he was never aware of any water intrusion. Now I take the boat out and after about a few hours fishing (and washing the boat down) I notice water again, but not a lot. I dry it out and it seems to be ok. Tuesday it rained here (the bow was down) and I noticed a substantial amount of water in the hull. I bailed it out and see water seeping into it from the bottom, about 4 inchs up on the starboard side. I brought the bow up and drained all the water. (I might add that water never got above the lip of the elevated area that the port pot sits on). I left the boat up and removed the floor, completely dried the entire deck including inside the storage areas. I want to see how the water is coming in so I fill the hull with water and wait for about 5 hours. Not a single detected drop of water anywhere and I notice the water level dropped about 1 1/4 inch. I pull the plug under the port potty - completely dry. I pull the plug under the back mat and it is solid foam and dry. I pull the plug under the starboard mat and it is moist and very hollow (missing a lot of foam). Now I lower the bow to a bit less then level down. water is seeping but filling into the hull and now water is coming up from the plug that was under the port pot. I have looked at the entire boat and find no entrance point for the water. The berth rub rail is completely sealed off from the inside. I am extremely baffled and not sure what my next process should be. If I wash the boat down to replicate the rain again, I don't see anything visible as to any entry point. I know there is a lot of talk about the anchor drain. My anchor cab is dry as well as my rope. Thanks for reading this. I am hoping someone has maybe found the solution. I am totally open to any/all suggestions.
Richard. again thank you all
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbf, it would be helpful to know what year your boat is, and as always, pictures will help. Sorry you are having to deal with this. If you are storing your boat outdoors, it should always be stored in a bow high position, and with the plug removed so any water gained (rain or wash) would be able to exit readily. I'm not experienced on the 19, but there is only one model that I know of so the adjective "Angler" has me and maybe others confused.

The 19 and the 22 are virtually the same boat with the 3 foot section from just aft of the helm seat back to the aft cabin bulkhead removed. The 19 has an open cabin, and in some cases closed with a canvas enclosure. Only one I know of that had a hard bulkhead and that was the one Joe did on R-Matey, which was a superb custom job.

Best to you in getting this worked out. I'm sure you will get more and better answers soon.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: water in hull compartment Reply with quote

Thank you Harvey. I call it the angler but yes the 19 only comes in that model as there is no "cruiser" and it is a 2006 with a canvas bulkhead (correct term?)
Richard

as I learn more I will use pics, I was able to post one once but it was sideways and huge. "technology has passed me by."

My kids hate when I say that.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning rbf. Not sure about the bulkhead, if it can be canvas but we know what you mean. There are lots of variations of the canvas, most are sunbrella and have rollups, snaps or zippers, and some form of plastic "window"s. At least they will keep the heat in and the splashes out.

As to the photos, first you need to ask the moderators (admin) to set up an album for you. Then you have to have the pictures on your computer and download them to the C-BRAT album. Then you can place them into posts in threads when you are posting there.

Admin guys are found at the top of the member list (find the "Button") in the tool bar at the top of the home page just under the C-BRAT logo

#1 Either Mike or Bill
#2 Mike Tyboo
#3 Bill Da Nag

Send a PM (Personal Message) via the PM button to the left of their names on the member list page. They are pretty good at responding. Once the album is set up, there will be a notice back to you and in the column at the left of the thread posts, below your profile info will be your boat name (I think it is always in blue) and a link to your album. From there I can't help you much -- not that computer savvy.

Good luck with the pix, and best on the water fix.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: water in hull compartment Reply with quote

Hi, So guess what? it was the anchor drain after all. I went through a long process and after the deck was completely dry, poured red died water into the anchor cab... it went right into the hull (bilge), then pulled the cover and funneled in blue died water into the anchor cab exit (outside the boat) and it went right into the hull. and then after about 20 minutes, a tiny bit of blue water seeped thru the hull from the inside (the same as before for water intrusion). Believe me I have been struggling with common sense, gravity and the long process.
I just want to report back and go on record as the following statement... "The folks on this site have a lot of great input, in this case they were correct" referring to BoB , it proved to be the anchor locker/ and exit drain. Thank you. Now one more question is is it safe to put a storage (any size) in the section that you sleep on. either in the side or from the top? I was thinking this would allow me to also put a lot of the missing foam back. I plan to seal the hole off in the anchor cab and the exterior hole as well. Thanks again, I hope this helps someone in the future.
WATER IN THE HULL IS ANCHOR CAB RELATED.

Richard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found the culprit! It was very helpful talking on the phone, where one can ask questions. Thus getting immediate answers. It can be a long process with posts on the internet.

I am not sure I would seal off the drain hole to the outside. My boat didn't have a drain hole drilled, when I bought it. Although I never got any significant water in the anchor locker, I still wanted it to drain, if some water got in, or even water from the windlass when installed, and off the rode/chain.

I filled in the bottom of the locker level with where I wanted to drill the hole, with thickened epoxy, then put a couple of layers of cloth and formed the bottom of the locker, so there would be always a slope to the hole to the outside.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: water in hull compartment Reply with quote

I did seal it off, just because it was the culprit of a long discouraging ordeal, and the fact they it would never drain anyhow unless the water was 1 inch high. (and it never will be) and if it does actually get water i will check and paper towel it out at ranch use. I don't want to abuse this site and do not want to sound redundant, but now every thing is finally sealed and fixed with the exception of the foam/storage issue.
so... My question is, In the 22 or the 19, the area that you sleep on, the two walls on either side of the porta pot, Can I drill into them, or from the top (under the rear (2 of 3) cushions ? The starboard side is about 1/3 at best filled with foam as I can look inside after pulling the plug from the top. I am looking at a huge open section and thinking why not create storage as well as injecting the remainder with foam?

ok one last thought... I love love love the c dory and of course mine, but need to ask... where in the h did the foam go or... or did the builder fall asleep at the wheel. sorry but this frustrated me to seed the void. anyways you guys rock and I am stoked to join the fam.
Richard
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, many of us have pulled some or all of this foam out and installed covers of sorts. In fact, the newer models come with this already made as storage. Just do a search for V berth storage here on C-brats and you'll find several or more links of folks that have done this. In fact, you can see some photos of my steps of doing this in an embedded album in my main photo album. Colby

P.s. here's a link to my project:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1887&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: water in hull compartment Reply with quote

thanx Colby will do
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Federal laws require that any outboard powered boat of more than 2 hp, less than 20 feet LOA have floatation so that they float level when filled with water.

It was noted that the 19 should have foam under the gunnels, and as with most of the C Dory's have some foam which was placed into the area under the forward bunks or platform. We don't know if every boat has enough floatation or not. The foam expands. when poured--and it can be anywhere from 4 to1 to 50 to 1. Of course it should be consistent, and we assume that it would be dispensed in the amount to fill the voids, but not over fill, since the pressure developed as it cures and expands can rupture even aluminum containers.

You can drill into the area, but in the 19, you probably should leave the floatation in place from an insurance standpoint at the very least. It would be most unusual for a CG or LEO to ask to see how much foam there is present.
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a trick for making the anchor compartment completely drain. While on the trailer, jack up the side of the boat with the anchor drain. Then pour epoxy into the bottom of the anchor compartment level with the bottom of the drain hole, after it drys and the boat is returned to level the bottom of the anchor compartment will slope to the drain.

Before pouring the epoxy you can also fine tune the fore and aft slope to the hole by raising or lowering the tongue of the trailer.
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: water in hull compartment Reply with quote

Upon inspection It looks like the port side is full (at least to the top at the cap (foam entrance). The starboard side is missing 80%. Looks like they started (pointing toward the helm) and ran out shortly.
My intension is to add a cylinder type storage and foam replacement in the void, of course being careful, as I have witnessed foam explosions (wall popping) in my trade. Thanks also great idea for the anchor locker floor, but I have completely sealed it off as water was intruding from the outside as well

Richard
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, when I spoke about pulling the foam out on my own boat, I'm speaking of a 22 Cruiser. I just assumed that's what you were talking about. Colby
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: water in hull compartment Reply with quote

I filled the void back without any holes or storage. Thanks all

Richard
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasair wrote:
There is a trick for making the anchor compartment completely drain. While on the trailer, jack up the side of the boat with the anchor drain. Then pour epoxy into the bottom of the anchor compartment level with the bottom of the drain hole, after it drys and the boat is returned to level the bottom of the anchor compartment will slope to the drain.

Before pouring the epoxy you can also fine tune the fore and aft slope to the hole by raising or lowering the tongue of the trailer.

The epoxy thing is clever, but I just drilled a new drain hole that was lower down so it hit the locker at the bottom. The new hole is still under the original cover plate on the outside of the boat.

Also, when retrieving the anchor and rode, I let it sit on the deck for awhile to dry before putting in the locker.

I have noticed on my boat that the drains are not particularly drainy because they are too high up in the compartment they are supposed to drain. In my boat, the anchor locker drain was about an inch about the bottom of the locker allowing water to stand there. Also, the drain for the sump at the back of my 22 was also too high. I installed another drain plug lower down. The original drain is no longer used. The original drain allowed a bit over an inch of water to remain in the sump. This had to be sucked out with a turkey baster to prevent problems when this water froze.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: