The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stuff to see and do at the Seattle Boat Show
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Stuff to see and do at the Seattle Boat Show Reply with quote

I know that there's another thread about the boat show, but it seems to concentrate on the CBGT. I wanted to start a thread on what people are actually going to do at the show. Seminars, booths to visit, the "floating" boat show (which I have never been to). Stuff like that. It might help Brats see something (or buy something) that they might have otherwise have missed.

First, does anybody know of discount coupons? I'll probably go on several days, so the multi-day pass works for me (and I live downtown a couple blocks from the Bell Harbor shuttle). Anybody have a line on how to get tickets cheaper?

I wish the seminars were listed numerically. It would be really easy to say that I'm going to numbers 15, 38, 44, and 89, for instance. But no such luck. So far, the ones that interest me are "Cruising Haida Gwaii" and "Do You Copy" (about radio usage). A couple of the fishing in Eastern Washington seminars sound interesting. I just watched a YouTube video on catching burbot in Lake Roosevelt. I might have to try that.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So happens my wife and I will be in the area visiting my brother in Graham from Jan 31st to Feb 4th. Currently we don't have plans to visit the boat show, but we might be looking for something to do one day during that time frame. Any specific things going on that would be very worthwhile? Not sure I want to go to just drool all over myself. lol But it might be worth a day trip just to see what it's about. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have or are interested in a BoatUS membership, they have always had a discount deal there. You have to get the Recreational Boaters Association of Washington membership, and then take that to the Boat US booth and show the receipt. I don't remember the exact % but it was something like the RBAW membership is nearly free.

Also, if you are into replacing your Waggoner Cruising Guide, There have always been some discounts associated with that. (Like a free dinner at Port Harvey Marine Resort if you go over and have them sign their ad.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat show seminars are listed here. Of course, it always seems to be that the seminars that interest me are on different days.

https://seattleboatshow.com/seminars/

Parking has always been a bit of a pain, especially on weekends. Close by parking lots look convenient, but I've never tried it and I assume that it is expensive. Bell Harbor marina has free parking and a shuttle that leaves every 15-20 minutes.

https://seattleboatshow.com/location/bell-harbor-free-parking/

At certain times, it would probably take 15 minutes just to get out of the parking lot at Century Link field, so the shuttle might be about as convenient. If you play the times right, getting off/on I-99 and to Bell Harbor is quick and easy.

As far as what to buy at the Boat Show, I never know that until I get there. There are occasionally "boat show specials" that actually are good deals. Fenders, boat hooks, things like that. I now have to keep my purchases under 16 feet, which I'm finding saves money.

I saw that one of the seminars is about cruising without refrigeration. I'm curious about that one. So far, I do that by simply not having refrigeration. Maybe I'm missing something.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look at the schedule link later this week. I do have a Boat US membership. At this time, I really don't need any items, so other than binge spending... lol. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I saw that one of the seminars is about cruising without refrigeration. I'm curious about that one. So far, I do that by simply not having refrigeration. Maybe I'm missing something. "

Mark, I have been doing that for 7 years, including nearly 3 months on one stretch around the north end of Vancouver Island. Has worked well for me.

No Ice Box, no bergie bits, no meat, and still not hungry.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a seminar by Pam Wall on Cool Products You Don't Know About. I didn't think I'd see that much stuff I didn't know about. Here is the rundown of the stuff that I wrote down.

Luci light. https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Solar-Chargeable-Lantern-Clear/dp/B0149KAOK2. They look kind of silly, but it was an impressive little light for reading at night, cockpit gathering, etc. Keep them someplace exposed to light and they are always good to go.

SailKote. https://www.amazon.com/Mc-Lube-McLube-Sailkote-One-Drop/dp/B0063K4UTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1517241011&sr=8-2&keywords=sailkote Supposedly the best thing out there if it needs to slide or spin.

Suction handles. https://www.amazon.com/Qadira-Premium-Quality-Aluminum-Professional/dp/B01G5K7XL2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517241126&sr=8-3&keywords=suction+handles I have some of these from past home window installs. Pam used them for working your way around the hull (cleaning) when in a dinghy. Or something to hold on to when cutting a rope off of the prop. Or a perfectly placed hand hold on the cabin top, etc. Mine are just sitting in the garage doing nothing. I should have one sitting on the boat.

Handheld Depth Sounder. https://www.amazon.com/HawkEye-DT1H-Handheld-Finder-Temperature/dp/B06Y3BGTM7/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1517241325&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=handheld+depth+sounder My thought on this one was when I take the dinghy to set a crab pot. I tend to explore a potential anchorage in my 16 because it is so small. Others might explore a potential anchorage in a dinghy.

Night vision monocular. I've got good binos, but they are cumbersome and I wouldn't take them in the dinghy.

Davis FSR stain remover. Rust stains and discoloration along the waterline. Apparently, when it works on your particular stain, it is fantastic.

Boeing T-9. Use it to coat every electrical connection. I was already a believer.

Stowmaster Marine Horn. A little puff makes a big toot, but they are apparently no longer available. I have an old brass horn on board, but this is much smaller and plastic. Some comments online were that these are so loud that everyone looks for the container ship and ignores the kayaker who is actually blowing the horn.

Rescue Tape. https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-CECOMINOD019585-RT1000201206USCO/dp/B000ZTM72U/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1517242287&sr=1-2&keywords=rescue+tape Pam said that there was a booth at the boat show, so I stopped by for a demo. It is impressive stuff. It seems especially good for covering "unsightly" splices and patching split hoses, but I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses. In fact I think it might be good for marking my anchor rode. Stop by the booth and look at some of their examples. The boat show price is better than you will find, but you have to buy 3 or more rolls.

Other items didn't pertain to me, so I didn't write them down. A surprisingly informative seminar.

Mark
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff really does work well

Davis FSR stain remover. Rust stains and discoloration along the waterline. Apparently, when it works on your particular stain, it is fantastic.

I use this tape regularly and keep a roll on the boat. Its heat resistance is particularly useful.

Rescue Tape. https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-CECOMINOD019585-RT1000201206USCO/dp/B000ZTM72U/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1517242287&sr=1-2&keywords=rescue+tape Pam said that there was a booth at the boat show, so I stopped by for a demo. It is impressive stuff. It seems especially good for covering "unsightly" splices and patching split hoses, but I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses. In fact I think it might be good for marking my anchor rode. Stop by the booth and look at some of their examples. The boat show price is better than you will find, but you have to buy 3 or more rolls.

Mark[/quote]

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rescue Tape is great. I carry and use it and *Mark - Note this, It did not work on my rode. (A horizontal Swift -much like the Lewmar). The gypsy ate the tape into chunks and I took it off before it jammed in the windlass.

Boat US Membership Go get the RBAW (Recreational Boaters Association of Washington) first. It's $20, and you get a new Waggoners Cruising guide ($20 for Free) with the RBAW membership, THEN go to the BoatUS booth. IF you renew your BoatUS membership at the show you get $50 of their fee, and 20% discount by showing the RBAW receipt. Good for you, Good for your wallet, Good for the PNW boaters with regard to state legislation and new laws. Good for your cruising because you have a free now Waggoners guide.

I did see a small, (cigar size) AIS/DSC water activated personal MOB type alarm that looks really interesting. It was at the MillTec booth along with the Vesper Watchmate AIS display... Seriously worth considering. Would be super to see that combined with a PLB satellite device.

RayMarine/Flir booth was seriously deficient in not having any of the handheld FLIR thermo-sensing devices for demo. Their excuse, There are so many boat shows going on right now. (Hey FLIR, the SBS is the biggest boat show on the west coast. Not smart marketing there.

So far, as of Sunday evening, there are 2 new V23's ordered and maybe a TC-255.

The vendor part of the show is smaller this year, and noticeably absent is West Marine this year.

Have a good time and be safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The gypsy ate the tape into chunks and I took it off before it jammed in the windlass.<

Windlass? What's that?

>2 new V23's ordered and maybe a TC-255>

I didn't find out until I got home that my phone photo of the sticker for the V23 didn't take. Maybe somebody can get a picture and post it in the 2018 Boat Show photo album.
Just for reference on the TC:

I bought a new Waggoners (spiral bound) at Captain's. Didn't know about the Boat U.S. deal.

I saw Jim Davidson (Blue Rose - Minnesota) going over plans at the Devlin booth. I had to give him a hard time about being unfaithful to C-Dory. Having gone through the Devlin boat, it is understandable.

Mark
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Devlin was G O R G E O U S Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo, For those who have no idea what a Luci light is, look it up. I have 2, one on the boat and one in the car. Semi inflatable, solar rechargable, multi colored light, (some with red SOS pattern). Its a perfect V-birth light or night light on the boat.

Quote:
"Luci light. https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Solar-Chargeable-Lantern-Clear/dp/B0149KAOK2.

They look kind of silly, but it was an impressive little light for reading at night, cockpit gathering, etc. Keep them someplace exposed to light and they are always good to go."

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Mark- I have no other choice but to plea guilty as charged. You caught me red-handed looking at the Devlin. C-Brats have good taste in boats! And the design and craftsmanship in that boat was amazing.
Jim

Montana Salty

City/Region: BITTERROOT VALLEY MONTANA
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: SALTY
Photos: Salty
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Boat Show Reply with quote

Craig and I decided last minute to come to the boat show, are there any C-Dorys at the show? Any Brats going today?

Lovin' Our C Dory!
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Venture 23 and a TomCat at the master Marine booth in the main hall.

Check the thread of what to see and do at the SBS for some good ideas. (That would be this one) and see this thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26112&highlight=

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: