View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAS4

City/Region: Hood River
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Greetings everyone,
Been enjoying reading the material on the site for over a year now and thought I better come out of the electronic shadows and into the light to introduce myself! My name is Jason Smith. I live in the Columbia River Gorge (Oregon) with my wife and two young children. In 2016 I purchased a C-Dory 22 cruiser previously owned by a fellow C-brats, mcolp. The boat, formerly known as Allyson Marie, is now known as Limpet - a name nearer and dearer to the members of my family.

For the last two seasons we have been exploring and enjoying the Pacific Northwest, ranging from Dworshak Reservoir, ID; the Columbia River; San Juan Islands, WA; and the Pacific coast out of Garibaldi, OR. The boat is tremendous and was well cared for by her prior owner. We are so happy to have her and have been having a ball fishing and playing with Limpet.

I first learned about C-Dory boats from a family member, who shall not be named to protect the innocent, and who I might add, always demonstrated great judgment in watercraft. I learned what a Montgomery sailboat was from him. I researched them, could find no better design for the intended purpose, and later bought one myself. As you know already, I also eventually bought a C-Dory as well. A THANK YOU to you, unnamed family member!

Limpet is our first powerboat, having owned several sailboats previously. Like Limpet's prior owner, I take good care of my equipment and enjoy doing much of my own maintenance and repairs when I can. THANK YOU EVERYBODY for your contributions to this community. It has been a HUGE resource for me on these boats and I am grateful.

That's it for now. Thanks again everybody!

Jason
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

This is a great place. Much of what little I know about boating, I learned right here. Thanks for posting. Now, you need to get set up with a photo album. Contact Admin and they'll take care of it for you. We love pictures!

I'm looking forward to hearing lots more about your adventures and projects with your boat.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to the cult. It’s a great group of benign crazies.

Second, do you have a Montgomery? Several of us are former Monty owners, and there may still be a MBoat in the group. I still miss my M15.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Southern neighbor!

Enjoy the site and contribute when you can.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. By now, you know you made an excellent choice for your use of the boat.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JAS4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
Welcome!

This is a great place. Much of what little I know about boating, I learned right here. Thanks for posting. Now, you need to get set up with a photo album. Contact Admin and they'll take care of it for you. We love pictures!

I'm looking forward to hearing lots more about your adventures and projects with your boat.

Will do. Thanks for the tip!
JAS4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
First, welcome to the cult. It’s a great group of benign crazies.

Second, do you have a Montgomery? Several of us are former Monty owners, and there may still be a MBoat in the group. I still miss my M15.

Thanks! I’m generally averse to cults, but so long as the goats and chickens are kept off the altar I think I’m good with it. Smile

Sadly my M15 was sold to a guy in Georgia. It was a beautiful boat and I miss it. My daughter and I took annual sailing trips for many years together in it. She likes the motors on the C-dory but says she is more fond of the quiet little Monty and misses the sails.
JAS4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Welcome Southern neighbor!

Enjoy the site and contribute when you can.

Greg

Thank you. Speaking of I recently read some of your many contributions pertaining to moving batteries. My boat’s a little heavy in the transom and I’m looking to distribute that weight a bit better. One adds a heavy cooler, some fish, and a few buddies to the cockpit and seawater starts acting like it might want to use my splashwell after all. Thanks for your contributions!
JAS4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Welcome aboard. By now, you know you made an excellent choice for your use of the boat.

Yes sir I do. On balance it would be hard to do better in the easily portable, family adventure, ocean fishing category (if there was such a thing). Also, thank you for your voluminous contributions to the site.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Welcome to the best site on the net, about the best boats on the water, with the best folks on the planet, and run by the best admin group in the PNW or probably anywhere else too. You are going to love your 22, and where it can take you. Sounds like you are getting around pretty well already. Hope your family is enjoying it too. BTW, it's almost as quiet as the Monty if you do slow cruise, and it is really peaceful there too.

Well, This is a great surprise, and good confirmation that you are a pretty smart guy. (Full disclosure here. I have known Jason since he was in early grade school.) And have looked up to him for years. His participation here will be a welcome addition as he has extensive knowledge about our PNW waters.

Looking forward to hearing more about your boat and seeing some pix in an album. That comes from the admin guys, (sometimes here called the "Nerds" = Bill or DaNag, and Mike or Tyboo. They are listed as number 2 and 3 on this site (memberlist button) at the top of the home page:

http://www.c-brats.com/memberlist.php

Ask either one or both at cbadmin for a photo album set up. Sometimes it takes a day or so, but they are pretty good at tending to business, here. The greatest thing about this site, only one rule and it won't be any problem for you. "Just be nice".

Good to see you here, JAS4, and it easy, just ask if you need something.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. There's already a Limpet here.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different boat sizes, completely within the allowable name standards set forth by the founding members according to CB conditional namesake ruling 2.16 which can be found in the documents section of this very website.

Thankfully, that is not how it works,

I want to see a picture of both boats together. That would be cute.

Greg Smile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to deal with on the VHF if/when they are together for that picture.

Limpet one six calling Limpet 22. Probably not going to be an issue often.

Greg, I'll looked that up. Didn't even know we had that those docs Wink To wit: check out hunky dory in the boat name list.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JAS4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Jason, Welcome to the best site on the net, about the best boats on the water, with the best folks on the planet, and run by the best admin group in the PNW or probably anywhere else too. You are going to love your 22, and where it can take you. Sounds like you are getting around pretty well already. Hope your family is enjoying it too. BTW, it's almost as quiet as the Monty if you do slow cruise, and it is really peaceful there too.

Well, This is a great surprise, and good confirmation that you are a pretty smart guy. (Full disclosure here. I have known Jason since he was in early grade school.) And have looked up to him for years. His participation here will be a welcome addition as he has extensive knowledge about our PNW waters.

Looking forward to hearing more about your boat and seeing some pix in an album. That comes from the admin guys, (sometimes here called the "Nerds" = Bill or DaNag, and Mike or Tyboo. They are listed as number 2 and 3 on this site (memberlist button) at the top of the home page:

http://www.c-brats.com/memberlist.php

Ask either one or both at cbadmin for a photo album set up. Sometimes it takes a day or so, but they are pretty good at tending to business, here. The greatest thing about this site, only one rule and it won't be any problem for you. "Just be nice".

Good to see you here, JAS4, and it easy, just ask if you need something.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Thanks Harvey! You can bet I'll be reaching out to you for some boat wisdom here and there. Oddly enough by chance the boat I found was red too! I do have the high-top out of necessity though Smile Weirder still, I don't know if you remember this or not, but the M15s we each had were blue! Shocked
JAS4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Hmmm. There's already a Limpet here.

Mark

Cool! That's what my 8 and 12 year old kids say every time they look in a tidepool. The ocean's carrying capacity for Limpets is HUGE. Smile I figured there might be another Limpet boat out there.

On the other hand, a name like "Toughie" could've been quite a lonely group. Toughie was apparently the worlds last surviving member of Rabbs' fringe-limbed treefrog. That is until 2016 when he/she died. Sad.

In all serousness, sorry to be the one crowding into your tidepool. I'm biased, but I think you would agree it's a cool name. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: