The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2006 - 19 angler prop question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: 2006 - 19 angler prop question Reply with quote

Hi. My boat was purchased from Idaho (fresh water) and I am in Huntington Beach California. I have read through the many threads regarding props and pitch and rpm and wot. I must admit I am very new to all this.
I have a 2006 yamaha 4 stroke, 75. at wot, my boat will go 29 mph and I feel it might even get to 30. The rpms are at 5200. It purrs but I feel safer (for the motor) to keep it around 47-4800 to get to the fishing spot, which so far has been about 15 minutes. The writing stamped on the prop is 13xx15-k. My questions are
1. Should I be looking into a different prop? (salt?)
2. I am planning my first trip to Catalina, Is it ok to run at 4800 the whole way?

If you guys get tired of all my questions just let me know, I just trust your answers as the c dory is different then all my friends boats.
THANX,
Richard
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5200 seems about right, but I'm not familiar with your boat or your outboard. What does the operating manual say WOT should be? If you are in that range, I'd stick with that prop. I've always been told 75% throttle is your best position. You could probably run the boat closer to full out, but you'll be burning more gas. I'm sure you'll get some more experienced replies soon! Don't ever be afraid to keep asking questions. That's how we all learn. Colby
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: props Reply with quote

Your 75 hp Yami WOT is between 5000-6000 rpm AT 5200rpm with light boat just yourself and some fuel would be low rpm's
Your 13by15 prop is 13 in diameter and 15 pitch prop .You could go to a 13by 13 pitch and it should run up to about 5600-5700 rpm which is good for your boat .You want to be at the top of the rpm chart not the bottom .Also running at 4600 rpm will not hurt your engine . Go to a prop shop and see if you can try the 13by 13 prop and carry the other as a spare .Good Luck in your selection Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 to 30 MPH is a good number for a 19 or 22 as max speed. As Jennykatz says, you should be at the top of the RPM curve. (closer to 6K). But no harm with light boat. If you load the boat, with more people and gear, then you may be lugging the engine, if less than 5K at Wide open throttle. Also the way the boat is trimmed is essential. I believe that all of the boats benefit from both trim tabs and Permatrims. Unfortunately I have already left S. Cal, so cannot go for a ride with you to help you find the best trim...It is possible that you may get the engine up to closer to 6K RPM.

Fresh and salt make little difference. What may, is what altitude the boat is used at. You are at sea level--most of Idaho are going to be at least 2000 feet. Lake Lake Coeur d'Alene is at slightly over 2100 feet. This means that the engine would loose some HP there--maybe 6%. (rule of thumb is loss of 3% of HP from sea level at each 1000 feet elevation gain...)

Also is the prop aluminum or Stainless steel. The Aluminum will flex and effectively be slightly lower pitch. The SS will flex less, and be slightly more efficient. If you hit debris with an aluminum prop, it will deform more easily, and less chance of damage to the lower unit shaft. But if a major hit, the hub should slip in either prop... I have run both. For higher speed boats like my Caracal cat, I use only a 4 blade SS prop (for several reasons) The C Dory I run with a 15 x 15" aluminum prop. For Lake Powell, at 3700 feet, I go to a 13" ofr even an 11" pitch, depending on the load. (90 hp Honda,)

You always want an extra prop, a prop wrench, long nose pliers--your tackle box pliers will work well. extra castle nut, l thrust washer and flat washer, plus cotter pins,

No problem going to Catalina at 4800 RPM. I generally run over at 20 to 22 mph when I have taken the 22 or 25 which I owned in S. Calif. to Catalina. My son's 25's runs nicely at about 4,000 RPM on a good plane.

Your trip over to Catalina needs to start early in the AM. If you are staying, go to the Isthums, (2 harbors), and use the "string line". You can either pay $4 each time you go back and forth to the beach, or use your inflatable, or a SUP. (it was a dollar for years--inflation!--and greed by those running the shore and concessions...) Will probably be the same at Avalon. Outlying coves or anchorage is more!

Have a great trip. Be sure you have a VHF radio, and hail the harbor master on channel 09, low power for mooring assignment (string line). (looking at the 2 harbors site, I don't see the mooring fee for the string line--It used to be less than the $38 for a 0 to 29 foot boat--and close in...double check what it is now.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: 2006 - 19 angler prop question Reply with quote

Thanks men. so I have not really done much with the trim taps, I did not really consider them as the boat gets right on plane and performs well in light chop and of course flat. I thought they were for leveling. I will mess around with them. Do you suppose with a 13 pitch, The boat will not reach a good speed (like 28?) I definitely want to do what is best for the motor. Side note, when west coast marine (yamaha cert in c.m.) went thru the boat, They said it was in good shape but lucky I had them do the total peek at it as the anodes were very bad (didn't even look like the right ones) and a few other things like a bad thermostat so the boat was running cold. I only state this as i am sure a lot of new boat owners like myself, do not realize the importance of the interior anodes.
The part that has me puzzled is the plaque regarding the mph at the rpms.
my rpms seem higher to achieve the rpms noted. That being said , perhaps this was intended to be general and even the 90 up posed to the 75.

Great answers and suggestions by all of you which I will apply.

saw in the archives some pics from catalina. Do they still go there?
Thanks again

Richard
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher RPM to achieve miles per hour need to be looked at in several facets: One is how is the speed measured? Is it really statute miles per hour, or nautical miles per hour. There is a nautical mile measured on the Long Beach breakwater, Eastern section. This has been used for many decades by thousands of sailors to calibrate their logs. But even this has to be run in two directions to account for currents. It is best run early in the morning, when no wind or waves. Today we assume you are referring to GPS speeds, which are speeds across the ground--currents have to be accounted for--and yes, there are currents in Catalina Channel.

The trim tabs can make difference in top speed, time in getting on a plane, and getting the bow down too run better in a chop. The trim up and down on the motor is also used to get the most efficient run angle, and speed.

What do you mean by "plaque"? Is that the 22 performance? The c Dory factory does not publish a RPM vs Speed for the 19--but states"
Quote:
The recommended 70 Hp will push the boat with a 1000 Lb. load to 28 MPH Generally you will find 15 to 20 MPH to be most comfortable. The boat planes quickly (9-10 MPH) and without the bow rising high obstructing vision ahead.

If you are running higher RPM, it is either due to a lower pitch prop, or increased slippage of the prop. I think your numbers are very close as to what to expect.

Ref "do they still go there?" there has been a traditional gathering in early August for a number of years, organized by Jim Gibson. It is well worth going to. We have been to two, but only missed others because we were not in S. Calif, or didn't have a C dory available. Some boats came on their own bottoms from as far away as San Francisco! Pretty impressive for an outboard powered 26 foot boat!
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: 2006 - 19 angler prop question Reply with quote

Yes , I am looking at gps speed (i phone app) as far as plaque, I am referring to the metal square mounted to my dashboard stating rpm and mph and gpm.

I would love to see a bunch of c Dorys and meet some folks so I will keep checking in on the site for news about it. I agree , wow a 25 from Frisco. I was thinking maybe in the summer doing a road trip (on the water) to either san diego or maybe as far as Ventura.

My first one (over nighted) is Catalina for 1 night, My second one will be Catalina one night, early exit to San Clemente island and back to Catalina for the second night, then home. Crazy as it may sound but shoot, I am ready to sleep in my driveway on it.
Smile Richard
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go to San Clemente, you would probably go to Avalon the first night and take a mooring. Try and get inside the breakwater--be very aware of Santa Ana winds. The anchorage outside of the harbor is very deep, and not good holding. There is not any good anchorage on the East end of Catalina, as there is on San Clemente and Santa Cruz.

Why not head right to San Clemente--and Anchor at Pyramid Cove? I am sure you know that the Navy controls the Island, and you cannot go ashore--also check the navy schedule--if any ops are on tap, the anchorages may be closed. Always check: http://www.scisland.org/schedules/safetyZoneUse/days/6.html

There is sand bottom and good holding with good protection from all directions except the South. The anchoring depth will be 40 to 60 feet, so you should have about 400 feet of rode and a good anchor--I would consider a Ronca or Manson Supreme.

If you go directly out, it is 60 miles each way. At Pyramid cove you may or may not have VHF communications with the CG. Always be on the look out for the Navy and for the Calif. Fish and Game vessels. Also have a copy of the fishing restricted areas both at Catalina and any of the other channel Islands:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/conservation/marine/mpas/network/southern-california

For offshore travel, I would "invest" in an EPRIP or Personal Locator beacon.

I always carried an inflatable as a "life boat"...except the few times I took a 13' inflatable directly to Catalina-and then I had a "9.9 hp kicker" for the inflatable.

Your "plaque" sounds like something that the prior owner might have installed. I am not aware of this being an item which was factory installed. Each boat and its motor, loading, bottom condition, prop, gear ratio etc will be different. If it does not correspond with what you are seeing, then I would not trust it--and develop your own fuel use curves.

Good fishing or diving. I have had some great White Abalone from San Clemente--but that was years ago--and we used to get wonderful Abalone at Catalina--before the cattle boats ruined it...and then the restrictions and closure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: