The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shower Sump Pump Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Realmccoy35

City/Region: Camano Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Whiskey Tango
Photos: Realmccoy35
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Shower Sump Pump Location Reply with quote

I have a 2003 C-Dory 25' and am replacing my shower sump pump. In the 2003 it is located in the port cabinet opposite the shower. I have made a few trips to the C-Dory dealer and have noticed in the new boats they have relocated the shower sump underneath the stair step where in my boat the cabin bilge pump is located. It also appears the new 25' does not have a cabin bilge pump????

Has anyone moved their shower sump to this under step location and has anyone used their cabin bilge pump or is this a fairly useless feature?
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shower Sump Pump Location Reply with quote

Realmccoy35 wrote:
I have a 2003 C-Dory 25' and am replacing my shower sump pump. In the 2003 it is located in the port cabinet opposite the shower. I have made a few trips to the C-Dory dealer and have noticed in the new boats they have relocated the shower sump underneath the stair step where in my boat the cabin bilge pump is located. It also appears the new 25' does not have a cabin bilge pump????

Has anyone moved their shower sump to this under step location and has anyone used their cabin bilge pump or is this a fairly useless feature?

My 03 has a washdown pump located under the step as well.
I put the shower drain back under the cabinet.

Wink
Have a good one & Happy New Year!! Mr. Green Beer
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you change the location?? Just replace it and keep it where it was.

The under step bilge pump was put there by the factory and serves a useful function. I wouldn't remove it.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shower sump has a filter to keep hair from the pump—and needs to be cleaned regularly—if used.

Some 2003 boats have a hole between the area under the cockpit and the sump under the step. Some 25’s have an opening to the cabin sole...so be sure how your boat is rigged. On mine, I had 2 bilge pumps. The original under a round access port in the cockpit floor, back of the fuel tank. The one under the step.

Also the head holding tank, water tank were all in different areas. The intake of the wash down pump or a air conditioner pump may also be under the step, or under the port hanging locker. The head water intake under the step.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Realmccoy35

City/Region: Camano Island
Vessel Name: Whiskey Tango
Photos: Realmccoy35
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My step has the hole in the bottom. I can see the usefulness of having the bilge pump under the step but if you check my picture album I put a pic of the new 2017 C-Dory under step set up. It is nice and clean and much easier to access the sump pump but I couldn't find where they located the cabin bilge. I was just wondering what their reasoning was for moving the sump and bilge. I guess I could just ask C-Dory. Haha
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 07 it looks like there is just a cabin bilge under the step like you show in your 4th picture realmcoy but I can’t find the enclosed shower style pump like in your photo. I’m guessing the show water just drains into the cabin?

I’m not a big fan of water in the cabinet any form, so i’d Like to have both. Which cabinet on the port side is it usually on? The one beside the door?

Thanks
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
In my 07 it looks like there is just a cabin bilge under the step like you show in your 4th picture realmcoy but I can’t find the enclosed shower style pump like in your photo. I’m guessing the show water just drains into the cabin?

I’m not a big fan of water in the cabinet any form, so i’d Like to have both. Which cabinet on the port side is it usually on? The one beside the door?

Thanks

On our 2007, the shower box/pump was under the floor of the port aft cabinet. The pump pushes the water out to an exterior opening on the port side of the boat.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
On our 2007, the shower box/pump was under the floor of the port aft cabinet. The pump pushes the water out to an exterior opening on the port side of the boat.[/quote]

Thanks James, I found it! Amazing how thanks to c-brats I can keep finding doors and features on this boat.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
On our 2007, the shower box/pump was under the floor of the port aft cabinet. The pump pushes the water out to an exterior opening on the port side of the boat.

Ditto. My only complaint is when the float switch goes bad, and it will, the box overflows and floods the cabin. Ask me how I know... Rolling Eyes

We now, literally, resort to listening for it to come on. It's not the location though. It's the technology of the float switch.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:

Ditto. My only complaint is when the float switch goes bad, and it will, the box overflows and floods the cabin. Ask me how I know... Rolling Eyes

We now, literally, resort to listening for it to come on. It's not the location though. It's the technology of the float switch.

Indeed, we always made it a point to listen for the pump to run while showering. We didn't have to replace the showerbox pump or float switch, but we did regularly clean it out. There is also a "one way valve" of sorts on the outflow line that looks like a flattened straw. If you haven't used the shower in a while, you may have to put something in that valve to open it up - it its flattened state, it can kinda "seal" itself closed if now used in a while.

We used our shower a lot when we had the 25, and shower box and affiliated parts seem to like regular use.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a whole different "Solution" to this shower sump problem. I had a boat where the shower drained into a very deep bilge, and it would cause a real mess, since the bilge pump, would not fully evacuate the material.

The solution, was to hook a diaphragm pump directly to the shower drain, with a strainer between the pump and drain. When you turned on the shower, you turned on the pump. All of the water was thus pumped out of the shower pan, you rinsed the pan after the shower, and no mess. No sump box. If you didn't turn the pump on, you were in a puddle of water.
halibut taco

City/Region: Whittier
Photos: Shiroz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shower Sump Pump Location Reply with quote

Realmccoy35 wrote:
... has anyone used their cabin bilge pump or is this a fairly useless feature?

Well this isn't a "feature" you hope to use but it is an important piece of safety equipment. The cabin bilge pump is positioned in the best location to drain the cabin should it receive a significant amount of water. The cabin has no other way to drain itself so this pump will remove the water. Being a boat there are many ways that water can find its way into the cabin whether it be rain or seawater.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my show bulge pump to the garage, use a big kauna for if I need a shower or wash my hair, what little I have left Very Happy Smile Sad

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced the float switch once. Not because it did not work, but because it did not shut off. The second one has been had instances of not switching on. But I hit the box and it comes on. I think Jim is correct in that we don't use it enough. Really finicky item IMO.

I did not know about the one way "valve". Now I will look for it. I'm pretty sure ours does not have it installed though. To us a shower is necessary and worth whatever issues there are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: