The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat 255 bottom paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Tomcat 255 bottom paint Reply with quote

He there - happy new year!

My Tomcat needs some bottom paint pretty bad. I have no experience and was planning to have a local shop do this. I have a bunch of crew that want to help so I’m now considering doing this myself.

It’s ablative paint and there are a few small bare spots. Any advice? Is this a job we should not attempt to tackle?

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF this is just touching up some spots, or even putting on an additional coat of the same brand of paint, you can do this yourselves if you know how to block up your boat safely. With most ablative paints, make sure the bottom is clean and dry; do a light sanding, then apply a couple coats of the paint, giving a bit extra in the bare spots and the water line (use a good paint tape to get a clean line).

If the bottom hasn't been painted before, you should think about putting a couple coats of an epoxy barrier before applying a compatible bottom paint.

There may be considerations about the best type of paint to use, depending on your location; whether or not the boat will also be put up on a trailer (some bottom paints lose their effectiveness when out of the water).

If you are unsure about any of this, turn it over to a boat yard you trust.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your post it appears that the boat has an ablative paint. You are best served using the same paint. You cannot use a hard or epoxy paint over the ablative. You can use most other ablative paints over another ablative paint.

For touchup, you can probably use one coat of paint.--but I would paint the entire bottom. If you don't know what paint was there, one of the good ablatives which works well in your waters would be best. In Calif. you may be limited as to what paints are allowed. Check to see what other boats in Bodega Bay are using.

We use Vivid by Pettit, although semi ablative, it is a hybrid and can only be applied over hard paints or as a new coat. It works very well on trailered boats. It is in several colors. We like to put on one coat of the final color, a second coat of different color and then the final coat. (ie blue, black, blue) This way, when the outer color coat wears thru, you will see the under coat, and then time to repaint. I get 3 to 5 years on a boat which is part of the year in the water, and part on a trailer or on the lift.

There is the question of lifting the Tom Cat under the bridge deck. We have always lifted the hulls separately, using jack stands and 4 jacks, and not done the one jack under the deck I prefer to have at least one block or solid cribbing under the stern area and forward. The Tom Cat is harder to get off the trailers Have had, since there are full length bunks. We did ours by launching the boat and then having the travel lift put the boat on blocks. The blocks have to be moved during painting, or put the touch up paint where the blocks were just before the boat is picked up for launch by a travel lift. Others may have used different techniques.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Westie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I've decided that we can paint this ourselves. Does anyone have a recommendation on which paint to go with?

I need ablative paint. There are a new brands on Amazon that I have looked at but thought I'd ask for a recommendation before selecting one.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Pettit ECO over the old ablative. I did a lot of checking before hand & from the literature & reviews it is the safest bottom paint to work while still giving good protection. I’ve had it on now for two years with one extended trip to SE Alaska. It’s smooth hardness saved me from bottom damage while on the Yukon River. I’m very satisfied with ease & safety of application & its performance thus far. This is a link to Pettit’s description of its Hydrocoat Eco paint.
http://www.pettitpaint.com/products/antifouling-bottom-paint/water-based-antifouling/hydrocoat-eco/

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westie,
Pettit Hydrocoat is one of the few water based ablatives safe for a non-pro to use in your driveway. If you only have outside hull wear (like me) you may not need to worry about blocking and covering every inch yet.
HC SR is good for hulls, but only use HC ECO (no metal in it) on the aluminum bracket. Prep per Bob and can instructions.
Call Pettit rep at Jamestown Distributors for advice, they generally claim it can be used over ANY other ablative, not just theirs.
Repeating, NO metal containing paints on aluminum brackets or outdrives.
This is so easy I don't mind doing it every year if needed. The underside of the bridgedeck still looks new (where no sunshine exposure).
The wear areas scraping the trailer may get some growth... which is scraped off again each time you trailer.
$20/gal off sale usually about this time.
Give it a try, esp since you have help, and if it doesn't work well, let the pro do it for $150/ft.
Good luck!!
John

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had really good luck with Interlux Micron 66. I'm not sure if its California legal with the high copper content and biocide, but if it is I would consider it. It has excellent anti-fouling properties. You can do it yourself, I use a 3m respirator dust mask, goggles and the painters head sock. Sand it down with 80 grit, wipe clean or pressure wash the dust and wait until dry. I do two coats.
Westie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
$20/gal off sale usually about this time.

John

John - I'm seeing this for $210/gal. Was that a typo or am I looking at the wrong product?

Also, how many gallon will I need of the SR for the hulls?
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: pettit hydrocoat Reply with quote

Hi Westie!

I meant a Pettit rebate of $20/gal off the usual $150-$220/gal cost, not that you can get this or any decent bottompaint for $20/gal. That rebate program has been every year for the past 4 years in the late Feb-early Mar timeframe. But if your pet is a TomCat, you know that $40 is just a small snack for it.

Plain Pettit Hydrocoat (without the expensive slime-fighting Irgarol in HC SR/slime-reduction version) is $149 vs $200-$220. 1-2 gal should be good for 3 coats on the easily accessible parts of TC255 hulls. A 3-4 inch roller is amazingly fast. See Jamestown Distributors web site for details. Scotch Blue Tape above the paint line. 1-2 qts of HC ECO (no metals) will do the bracket. Don't paint anodes, remove them and tape over the bolt holes for good electrical contact with anodes.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/pettit-paint--hydrocoat-antifouling-paint--P004_121_001_516?recordNum=1

This gallon is 40% copper and VERY heavy so free shipping is critical.
It's way too heavy for a paint store shaker, so buy empty gal paint cans to mix in with a drill 5g stirrer.
My marina water gets up to 92-95 degrees, and yellow slime is an issue here...prob not for you, so Pettit HC plain may work fine for you.

I too like Micron 66 but it's toxic, not water soluble, haz-mat disposal costs and not for for-professionals. Pettit HC trash is all OK for regular trash, unlike most all competition.

PS I'll be at the Hontoon Gathering and blabbing on 'The Pro's and Con's of the TC255 at 5 years of ownership'. If you or any other owners have any input on that, PM me and I'll give it with credit to you.
Cheers!
John
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettit Hydrocoat SR for me. I've been very pleased. Came with used Tomcat from Pacific waters (Bodega Bay and Newport) and now used on inland lakes, Mississippi river, and soon Florida

Water based, smooth surface, durable, with very easy touch-up, not to mention zero 'growth'.

Westie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boats out and sanded down...wow that was a chore! We plan to paint next weekend. The side that gets the sun was pretty bad but I think we got it out in time. I don't see any damage to the base grey paint and no chips...but lots of sanding.

Today I detailed all the hatches. Feels great to have them looking like new! That back battery area is so poorly designed. I need to figure out a better way to keep it sealed.

Thanks again for all the advice.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westie wrote:
The boats out and sanded down...wow that was a chore! We plan to paint next weekend. The side that gets the sun was pretty bad but I think we got it out in time. I don't see any damage to the base grey paint and no chips...but lots of sanding.

Today I detailed all the hatches. Feels great to have them looking like new! That back battery area is so poorly designed. I need to figure out a better way to keep it sealed.
Thanks again for all the advice.

Nice! That must be a good feeling. I'm gonna be touching up my bottom paint next month. I had a fresh coat put on last August.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: