colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I'm still laughing... I might worry a little more than I should, but I guess that's what keeps me sane and at least a little safe in my actions. Mr. Green
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Montana bear country we hear a lot of bear attack stories. Many victims are well armed local hunters that do not carry bear spray, and were not able to react fast enough with a fire arm. It happens more than people realize.

Bear Spray is very effective if properly used. Statistically you are more likely to survive a bear attack using bear spray than a fire arm. Carry both. We never leave the boat on Yellowstone Lake without 2 cans of bear spray.

Yellowstone Park now rents bear spray to visitors and has a bear spray recycling program.

Lots of good information on bear safety:
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearreact.htm
Bear attack simulator - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsxgH4-2sNI
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, this is to a thread in the Grand Adventure Form that provides a link to a video on YouTube that that I made from our 2010 SE Alaska Atlin Lake cruise. It shows some of the lake scenery & me trying to go up river to the Llewellyn Glacier. You might also find the discussion in the thread interesting.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=17540

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear Bangers

I have been carrying bear bangers for many years and until my Atlin Lake grizzly encounter I had never used one except for practice. I used to carry the launcher, bangers and flares in ziplock bag in my pocket. I recently bought a waterproof banger/flare case for sea kayaking, but use it for hiking as well. It allows you to carry a loaded banger ready for action safely on the outside. I also carry bear spray on my belt.

Here is a link for the kit. It cannot be shipped outside of Canada, but with a bit of searching, I am sure a U.S. supplier can be found.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-046/Flare-Kit-w-Launcher-and-Flares

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a real paradox between the USA and Canada. Basically a civilian cannot purchase the "Bear Banger" or even the "Bird banger", without a federal explosives permit (such as handling high explosives,) or a wildlife control permit. But almost anyone can walk into the local gun shop or Wal mart and buy a long gun-or-12 gauge shotgun. CCW (Concealed Carry Weapons) permits for handguns are easy to obtain in most states. Mine has reciprocity in 38 states.

I believe that the bear bangers used to be legal to buy in the USA a number of years ago (but so was open carry in Calif.).... Yet you can buy a 12 gauge "Dragon's Breath"--at least a hundred feet of flame at 4000*, (Magnesium powder/pellets) in many states: 20 gauge Flash Thunder--3' of flame and 120 (some say 180) dB report in almost all states or a 12 gauge shot gun shell which hurls 40 .223 steel penetrating bullet cores at 1500 fps velocity!

So we are stuck with a shot gun and exotics, or bear spray vs the far less dangerous bear bangers...Does not make a lot of sense...but a lot of things don't! I found one reference that Bear bangers could not be brought across the Border into the USA. Also not allowed in any luggage by TSA.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been spending a lot of time linking to the various sites mentioned, and then going to links embedded in those sites. I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've gathered, it sure sounds like Bear Spray is the recommended go to for bear protection. And the reasoning and explanations make sense. So while I still search out the best cold water wear, it's pretty much a no brainer to have a couple cans of bear spray with me when I head north. Smile The Mokai is peeking my interest some too. Maybe I should have looked closer at that when I was researching Dinghys vs. Kayaks. Rolling Eyes

Back to the topic of this thread... Atlin Lake looks like it's definitely worth a stop to spend at least a few days on, if I'm driving so close by. However, if I have to make a choice between spending a few more days on the Inside Passage, or a few days on Atlin, is it mostly just another very scenic lake if one isn't planning to make the trek to the glacier? IOW, what would be the attraction to take a few more travel days to launch the boat here and cruise about? Wildlife? Unique nature? Interesting villages or geology?
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, in my opinion (others may fairly differ) the draw is the unique lake scenery with absence of other people & boats. Unlike SE Alaska waters & surrounding land the wildlife can be more iffy. The town is very picturesque located as it is on the lake with small islands in front & large mt beyond. The town is very small with interesting old buildings. Bottom line, if I was heading to Skagway & SE Alaska with limited time like you are planning, my priority would be the ocean & spending as much time on it as possible where the scenery is just as unique, wildlife much more plentiful & more just as interesting if not more so, small towns.

As for the Mokai it worked wonderfully, taking me to places, I believe very few if any have been before & wildlife I would not have seen in anything else, but the draw backs were it had to be towed & the places I was going with it by myself were very hazardous & just a matter of time before the odds caught up. I think I was ready to back off on it’s more extreme use & use it more like I do our present Kaboat, but it still would have had to be constantly towed & that in some conditions can really add to the risk. The main reasons we went from it to the Kaboat are I wanted Jo-Lee to be with me more in the incursions away from the C-Dory & the Mokai is only good for a short period of time with two, where we can both be in the Kaboat most of the day. The other draw back for us is when taking our combination truck & large camper & towing the boat there was not a good way to take it along, even though we did on our 2010 trip. For a single person I still think it worth the risk of towing & hard to beat for some serious exploring or as a dingy.

Jay
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay. Appreciate your thoughts. I was kind of half joking about the Mokai. (But I did go look at the website... Smile ) It is an interesting little craft. Atlin looks like a great little stop to wash the salt off the boat after exploring the Inland Passage. But I will have to consider my priorities and how much time I want to spend away from home for this endeavor. And there is still the possibility of launching at the south end rather than Skagway. (Although like you, I think the drive through the area is worth it as well.) Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: