Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albie Back

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: California Boater Card required effective Jan 1 2018 Reply with quote

A boater card will be required and will be phased in over 8 years.
https://www.boat-ed.com/california/
http://californiaboatercard.com

January 1, 2018: Persons 20 years of age or younger
January 1, 2019: Persons 25 years of age or younger
January 1, 2020: Persons 35 years of age or younger
January 1, 2021: Persons 40 years of age or younger
January 1, 2022: Persons 45 years of age or younger
January 1, 2023: Persons 50 years of age or younger
January 1, 2024: Persons 60 years of age or younger
January 1, 2025: All persons regardless of age

From FAQ:

Q: Who is exempt from needing a Boater Card?

According to California law the following persons are not required to have a boater card to operate a motorized vessel on California waterways:

A person operating a rental vessel.
A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in possession of a California Boater Card.
A person who is a resident of a state other than California who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 60 days and meets the boating requirements, if any, of his/her state.
A person who is a resident of a country other than the United States who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 90 days and meets the boating requirements, if any, of his/her country.
A person operating a vessel in an organized regatta or vessel race, or water ski race.
A person who is in possession of a current commercial fishing license.
A person who is in possession of a valid marine operator license, for the waters upon which the licensee is operating, issued by the US Coast Guard, or who is in possession of a valid certificate issued pursuant to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
A person who has successfully completed a boating course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.[/url]

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most states have this now. But there is one glaring error. That is persons who rent boats do not need a boating education card. If anyone really needs to know it is a person who has no boating experience and rents a boat. I smell corruption and a major lobby.

What is defined as a boat? SUP? dinghy? I suspect these are all spelled out. By the way, I am in favor of all Kayak, canoes. and SUP being licensed. But I gave up rights to any "say" in Calif. when I left 25 years ago.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: california boater card required Reply with quote

The good news is I won't need one for a zillion years (dog years of course) but I did take the class free online thru boat u.s. and learned a ton of good info. Now that I passed, I am going to do it again. (without siri for the answers)

Richard
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that I would be required to get one, according to the age chart---- but I did anyway.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an enforcement standpoint there are lots and lots of "holes" in this law. Some of those elements/violations will be impossible to enforce. "Yes, officer. I've only been boating for 30 days in California..." (wink, wink). "Yes, officer. I have a commercial license from [insert state here]. I just don't have it on me. I'm on vacation...." (wink, wink). Unenforceable. But it being CA, they will probably ticket people anyway knowing they'll just pay vs being hassled. CA needs the $$$$.

Won't matter to me, personally. I have no intention of visiting/boating in CA.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the principle of these things. Generally, I like fewer regulations, but I can see the need in a state full of idiots with a large population.
jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A license to parent would be nice...would solve bigger issues, but I digress.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me correct your digression, everybody should be allowed to parent, the license should be required to spawn Smile

WA rolled out a similiar requirement a few years back...a simple online quiz and $10 and you're good for life. It's kind of a joke and from what I see on the water, didn't reduce the idiocracy but it is a step in the right direction. I pungled up the $10 so I don't have to pack the USCG document with me

localboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a LE member, let me input: there are new laws enacted all the time. But "they" (gobment) do not provide the required funding, manpower, tools etc to truly ENFORCE them. But it makes elected officials feel like they "did something" and garners votes. It also creates a false impression with the gullible public that "they" are actually working for the greater good of society. For instance, the call for more gun laws when all they have to do is ENFORCE the laws already on the books! But I digress....

I agree with the sentiment that "it's a good IDEA". But it truly does not make a difference on the water. Idiocy is idiocy. I make a living on it.

It reminds me of the old lyric:
"Signs, signs everywhere a sign...do this, don't to that....CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGN?"

Quote:
...everybody should be allowed to parent, the license should be required to spawn...

Oh, if I were King....
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Oregon implemented a similar boater's education card, some 10-15 years ago, it was staged similarly, hitting the older folks later. Law enforcement folks here informally told me it appeared to help reduce the number of injuries/incidents among the PWC crowd, largely folks in their teens or thereabouts, who were the first required to have the card.

Initially, OR required a substantial training/education program, with the de facto choice being a 30 hour mix of lectures and hands on stuff, run by the local Power Squadron corps. When I took the class, it was excellent, largely because the ramrod, Ron Collman, rode herd on it, and pulled in some USCG personnel for special stuff like Local Hazards, etc. And partly for the hands on training in navigation

The next year, an online open book type test was allowed as an alternate route, because there was a substantial population of oldsters (mainly) who felt the 30 hours was too much of a burden. I know one geezer my age, longtime fishing buddy, who could not hack the navigation segment of the hands on class, who passed the online test. He still cannot navigate worth a damn! But otherwise, he is relatively safe.

Later, the standard route to certification became a one day 8 hour lecture-based session, run by the local USCG Auxiliary, which was a faint shadow of the 30 hour version. I sat in on that when Becky took it, and she passed it. No navigation training. To get that, there is another class, optional and not needed to get the boater ed card.

My bottom line: when the standard required to get the card degraded, so was the competency of those who passed. But, the 30 hours demanded "so much" from boaters that the training needed was relaxed, owing to pressure from boaters.

I am a retired teacher ... and this scenario is no surprise to me.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that "something like this" is a big need, but then again, you can't fix stupid.

Several years ago, I rented a PWC for an hour run. (No worries, you all were safe, there wasn't a C-Dory on the lake Rolling Eyes ) This happened up in British Columbia. Apparently they also have a required boating card, because when asked, I had a Washington State card, but not BC, so I had to do an "On paper class" which consisted of 10 Multiple choice questions, and I was handed an answer sheet to use to "correct" my own test. Yup, I passed the test, and good thing to 'cause that thing would go over 60mph on the water. Embarassed Well that's what they said anyway Embarassed I go up to 45 and decided that the water was looking plenty hard enough at that speed. Shocked

For WA card I did an evening class with the Power Squadron, 6 nights 3+ hours of instruction and then a test night with answers and lots of discussion. I think the total was supposed to be 20 hours total.

I have to say that for the most part, I have been very impressed with the capabilities and practices of the C-Dory owners. Somewhere WAY ABOVE the average boat at the ramp.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad that Captain's Hazelwood and Schettino had their 'boaters card'......oh wait......you can't fix stupid!

Laughing

localboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...a one day 8 hour lecture-based session, run by the local USCG Auxiliary... No navigation training. To get that, there is another class, optional and not needed to get the boater ed card.

Same here in WA. This is exactly what we took to get "our cards". The wife who was "co-teaching it" with her husband, knew less then some of the students. But she had the shirt with the epaulets, so... Rolling Eyes
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont tell, but every now and then I tow my little 16 foot 40/30 hp jet john boat behind the motorhome into Washington on vacation and operate it without a boater safety card. I know that's crazy, yet somehow I lived - even on the Columbia near Handford! In stark comparison, driving around in Seattle traffic on I405 and I5 seemed a very real death wish and I constantly felt like praying for my life. Go figure.....
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
...driving around in Seattle traffic on I405 and I5 seemed a very real death wish and I constantly felt like praying for my life. Go figure.....

Not to worry. If the powers that be in Seattle/King county get their way, it will ALL be tolled and the masses, aka real folk, will be forced onto the $45 BILLION choo-choo train...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: