The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25 cruiser rear deck shelves
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: 25 cruiser rear deck shelves Reply with quote

Is that what the 2 3 ft openings on each side are called? Can take them out to access inside where wires are passed?
Anyhow where can I purchase one. Someone had put calking under one preventing its removal. Like it was glued. Also had tightened screws till the plastic broke around several screws. I got it off and where holes were cracked
They broke off. So need a new one
Any ideas where they can be purchased ?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're referring to the coaming openings. They're holes in the inside of the cockpit with small shelves in there.

In Journey On, a 2005 C-25, the wiring passes through the top of those openings and is held up there with small (1/2 in long) sheet metal screws. If I remember correctly, nothing passes underneath the coaming openings, except the toilet outlet.

If you take them out, which is a heck of a job, you'll see down to the side of the fuel tank. I just drilled holes in the bottom to let the water drain.

Boris

Last edited by journey on on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check with the factory to see if they have any in stock. There were changes along the way, with some boats having the plastic insert--and earlier boats being open as some of the 22's are.

You can make one out of "door skins" and epoxy, with light weight fiberglass cloth--but a lot or work--and it would not be identical to the other side. How badly damaged is the one you have. Plastic can be "heat welded". Matching the white color would be very difficult.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find one or if someone posts the replacement link, I’d like to replace mine also.
Like yours mine also cracked around the screw holes and it was sealed in place making it extremally difficult to remove. Had to get access for re-beading the hand rails and mounting a pot puller stand. When reattaching I used a good quality silicon so future access wouldn’t be so difficult, two years later that happened and it was easy to remove.
The factory probable used something like 3M 4000 or 4200 for sealant, for that light of structure these products are probably overkill. Silicon although not the best choice when sealing anything on a boat seemed to make better sense for me.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
jkswor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used super glue to reattach broken pieces going to reattach using petroleum jelly on surface then calking to create a gasket that is not stuck
But a new one would be nice.
Jim
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrolium jelly would not be a good choice. It will leak quickly. The best is Boat Life, Life Seal. This is a hybrid silicone, polyurethane. It is often used for plastics to fiberglass. It holds up, but it is easy to remove if you have to remove the plastic again. Another issue is that often screws will shake loose from the vibration of the outboard. Not a bad idea to put some of the BoatLife LifeSeal on each screw.

The time your boat was built--C Dory was using mostly "Bostik Products". They had failed to seal the top of my Tom Cat in the way of the aft bulkhead. I don't know if the exact same product was used on your boat--but there used it everywhere, including on plumbing fittings!
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't know where you'd buy that. You should probably call NMI (factory) and ask them. I'd venture to guess that they haven't changed that piece and are still using them.

NW Marine Industries
809 Harris Avenue Building 6
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 389-5351 Phone
(360) 922-0842 Fax
office@nmiboats.com

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are called "Coaming boxes". Do a google search. You can do images and find a number of similar boxes.

The real problem is that you need a specific size, and I don't know how big this is. For example I find them in 12" long to over 40" long.

Take the measurements and then go into the search engines...Defender and West Marine both carry these in general--they may be able to get the specific size you need.
jkswor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 07 25 ft cruiser coaming boxes are
34 in long by 10 high by 5 in deep
The cutout is 32.5 by 8.5
Googled complete. No one has any with those dimensions
So unless cdory has them there aren’t any
Thanks all
dread

City/Region: Berkeley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Tessa
Photos: Tessa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Rear Deck Boxes Reply with quote

When I got my boat in 2012, I had to replace one. I got two, just in case. I had to special order them and posted on the site to see if anyone else wanted to buy in order to get a better quantity discount. No one responded.

Here's a bit of my e-mail communication with the manufacturer. I did get two, and I don't think I paid $170 each, but I'd have to check.

Hello Donald,
Unfortunately we haven't made a production run of these since 9/09. I do show 2 stock of a larger size, 10 x 46. Don't know if you have the room for these or not. Retail price is $170.00 each. The problem is I don't have any OEM's buying the one you have so it would be very costly to set up for 2 parts.
Best Regards,

Vic Adams

SSi Custom Plastics
43985 Commerce Ave.
Hollywood, Md. 20636
Tel: 301 373-2372
Fax: 301 373-2734
Skype- Greig: ssi-plastics
Skype- Vic: ssi-sales
Visit SSi at IBEX and METS 2012

--- On Fri, 6/15/12, Donald H Read <dread@well.com> wrote:

Subject: Coaming Pocket
To: sales@ssicustomplastics.com
Date: Friday, June 15, 2012, 3:44 PM

I have a 2006 C-Dory 25' Cruiser. It has port and starboard coaming pockets. They measure 10" x 34" outside, 7 3/4" x 32" inside and are 5" deep. I need a replacement. Are replacements available?

Don Read
jkswor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got my boat in July if 2017. So unless several others needing this size comeing shelve can get together to request a large order , those of us needing a shelve will have to do without. Thanks cdory for selling a boat without access to parts!
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
So I got my boat in July if 2017. So unless several others needing this size comeing shelve can get together to request a large order , those of us needing a shelve will have to do without. Thanks cdory for selling a boat without access to parts!

That is true of almost all production boats. They either order a part or make them. It would not be productive to stock parts for the future. Plus there have been at least 4 owners of the company since your boat was made! --I understand your anger, But there are alternatives, and you can build your own--or if you really want to do a service and make some bucks, make a mold, to produce these in fiberglass. Not all that hard to do.

If you don't want the rounded curves, you can cut out right angle corners and make a nice box on each side much stronger and probably more functional... Part of the fun of boat ownership is building and fabricating parts which are unique., 60 years ago there were very few fiberglass boats! You would have had the pleasure of 10 hours of work on the boat for every hour of your use!
jkswor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I squared the cutouts and built a box for each out ofpvc boards from Lowe’s. They are used for finishing windows
Then bought 2 make your own starboard doors from boat outfitters for $224 each. Looks wonderful. Would post photos but this site will not let me
Email me if you would like photos jkswor@gmail.com
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: combing boxes Reply with quote

Send me the photos: I'll try and post them (I am traveling in S. Cal. but have pretty good internet connections).

If you have an ad blocker "on" it will block your posting of photo. You have some in the album--so I would guess that is the problem.
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an "Industrial Plastics" outlet near you it may be worth your time to see if they will fabricate the coaming box for you. We've used them to make quite a few odd plastic things over the years. Their work is quality and the store here welcomes challenges.
Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: