HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Martin infrared butane stove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Martin infrared butane stove Reply with quote

A while back while cruising our local "Sail" store I came across a single burner butane stove. It has a large diameter infrared burner as opposed to the open flame type. I suppose technically it is still an open flame but the burner diffuses it so that it doesn't just shoot straight up. This should provide a more even heat to a pot, frying pan, etc. My thoughts when I saw it were that it should be somewhat safer for use on a boat and less prone to wind blowouts.

It is a Martin model 404. They are about twice the price of the cheapies but still half the price of replacing the "Kiss" that came with my boat.

Anyway,, Santa brought me one for Christmas so I am looking forward to testing it out. Lit it up and after the burner heated - I could not blow it out(which was easy to do with the flame type).

Has anyone seen or used these stoves?

Regards, Rob

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear how this works. I have an open flame type butane stove and it is prone to blowing out if there is a gust of wind when set to a low setting.

My butane stove is inset, not counter top. If it works well, it would be nice if they made an inset one.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: aurelia Reply with quote

Looks identical to our regular model except for the center burner diffuser. Hope it works well for you. Wind resistance is a good thing.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who didn't look up the stove already, here's a link to see the one being discussed:

Martin infrared butane stove

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a neat little stove. I would be interested in hearing how it is working out for you.

Joe, Thanks for putting in that link.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a full season of use I am happy to say I am very pleased with the performance of this stove. The infrared burner gives a more even heat than the flame type. On the boat or on shore the burner never blew out once!

I would conclude it is well worth the extra money invested. And it was still half the cost of replacing the Kiss stove that came with my boat.

Another picture in my Lake Huron album - havn't figured out yet how to add 2 pics in 1 thread!

Regards, Rob
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a version of this that replaces the built-in Kenyon stove in my boat. The Kenyon stove works fine except as noted, that it the flame is easily blown out when on low settings. It is very difficult to keep lit below about 1/2 heat setting.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, it was a butane stove that severely burned one of Dr Bob’s friends when he removed what was thought to be an empty cartridge. I believe the valve stuck wide open as it was being pulled, and the gas hit an open flame.

Bob?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend was burned, after a hurricane, when he had a candle for light. He took a stove from the boat, and inserted a cartridge--I don't believe it was this specific type of cartridge. The seal on the cartridge was bad, and all of the gas escaped very rapidly, igniting from the candle, burning the counter and my friend, as he threw the whole mess out the back door. Just today we were discussing on how extraordinarily long we had both lived. He noted that he would have died over 20 years ago when that happened, without modern medicine and a very good burn center.

Although these accidents are unusual, there are a number which have happened and thus I am leery about any cartridge gas in an enclosed space. I have had propane systems for cooking stoves in most of my boats. I have seen boats explode and burn, from built in systems also. So there is no risk free system.

We store any propane cartridge outside the cabin, and attach it to the burner in the open if we use a propane stove. (as a back up)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some threads discussing the seals on these cartridges. If I remember correctly some talk about replacing the O ring and keeping it oiled. This is one of the problems with my Kiss stove.

I keep my butane and propane cylinders in a cooler on my swim platform - leaving the drain plug out to act as a heavy gas vent. I also separate and insulate each canister separately - don't want metal cans containing gas banging around into each other. Always listen closely when you insert the cartridge for any hiss. When removing again listen and if the momentary hiss from disconnecting does not immediately stop - remove cartridge to a safe area - away from any flame or hot objects.

Burns are no fun - and a fire on a boat is a total bummer!! Stay safe.

Rob
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the KISS stove originally, came with the boat when I purchased it used. Shortly after buying it, my stove flamed up due to a leak. KISS had great customer service, stood behind their product, and resealed it for free. Also told me to use a drop of oil on the butane tip each time I used it, to help keep the seals oiled. They said butane is hard on the seals and drys them out rather quickly. I more or less followed those directions for 3 or 4 years. Then on our way down to the California Delta this year, I had an open fire again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. I pulled the stove out and threw it away. Bought a portable butane stove (I still had a pretty good supply of butane canisters), that I have been using since. Works great, and I can take it off the boat as well. (I'd use my propane camp stove, but it takes up too much space.) I thought about the glass top stoves earlier, but wasn't sold on them after reading some of the reviews. I might have to reconsider, but for now, the $20 portable one is working great. Colby
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip......

If you use one of these portable inexpensive stoves that uses a butane canister about the size of a spray paint can, you can buy these butane cylinders very cheaply in stores or super markets that cater to an oriental population.

I have paid $5.00 for a canister in a hardware store or at West Marine; but now I get them easily for $1.75/can, and usually $1.50/can in such stores (or once even for $1.25/can in small market in "Chinatown" in Seattle on Jackson Street).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: