HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor roller installation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer

City/Region: Kenai
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Anchor roller installation Reply with quote

I'm planning to install a new anchor roller on my 22 Cruiser this winter. Seems like an easy enough project, but I'm wondering what material to use between the new roller and the top of the hull. The material the factory installed beneath the current roller is starting to wear down. An thoughts?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you putting in an entirely new SS piece with roller? Is it because your anchor will fit better? While you have the roller off, check to see if the bolt pattern is the same, or different. While the roller is off, it is a great opportunity to either fill the old holes with glass and resin, and to drill new holes (if necessary) and route out the core around the hole, fill and seal with thickened epoxy to prevent any water from getting into the core of the deck.

My experience with older C Dorys is that the only material between the SS roller bracket and the deck is a bedding compound. I would probably use 3M 4000. It is possible that they used a butyl tape--that depends on the bolts being kept very tight, and does not have any adhesive property...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Anchor Roller Mount Reply with quote

Locate some "UHMW" about 3/8" thick and shape it to fit the profile of the stainless mount. Pre-drill bolt holes to match the mount and bed using a tube of "Boatlife". UHMW can be found in scrap bins at most of the plastic supply outlets. The material is very resistant to ultra-violet and should outlast the boat!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor Roller Mount Reply with quote

Barry Rietz wrote:
Locate some "UHMW" about 3/8" thick and shape it to fit the profile of the stainless mount. Pre-drill bolt holes to match the mount and bed using a tube of "Boatlife". UHMW can be found in scrap bins at most of the plastic supply outlets. The material is very resistant to ultra-violet and should outlast the boat!

I have to disagree on several respects with my good friend Barry's post. First my boat does not have any material except some bedding compound between the SS roller and the fiberglass. Specifically no plastic material. It is possible a boat a year or two newer might have a different mount.

UHMW is not resistant to UV--in fact one of its only bad characteristics is that it does not have UV resistance. One major manufacturer goes so far as to say:
Quote:
HOW DOES THE ENVIRONMENT AFFECT UHMW?
Sun without protection – depends on thickness and location. The thicker the better. In Florida, Arizona, New Mexico, and other desert areas – less than one year.

To get much UV resistance, one has to order a very specific UHMW.

All of this type of plastic have UV susceptibility. There are some specific UV resistant HDPE which are used in playground materials, which are more resistant--but the raw materials are all not good with the sun, unless specifically UV treated.

King Starboard (HDPE) states:

Quote:
The sole purpose of the UV stabilizer is to bond molecularly with the base polymer and prevent the polymers molecular chains from breaking down due to UV exposure. The type and amount of UV stabilizers used and the amount of UV exposure are the main variables that affect polymer life. As with our pigments, King Plastic Corporation uses only the finest UV stabilizers available.
They also note that black pigmented material will last longer than lighter colors.

There are a number of "Boat Life" products. I suspect that Barry means "Boat Life Life Seal" Which is a hybrid compound--Urethane and silicone. I have found this good specifically for bedding plastics. If using an HDPE or UHMW the Life seal would be one of proper products to use, But I have used 3 m 5200 with HDPE, with no ill effect, and with dovetail and flame hardening, one can get moderately good adhesion. None of the high density products allow good adherence without special treating (such as flame treating the surface) of any bedding or sealant.
Boomer

City/Region: Kenai
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of installing a Lewmar pivoting anchor roller. I run a 14 pound Delta anchor with a Lewmar 700 windlass, and I'd like to be able to launch and retrieve the anchor without leaving the helm. Sounds like 3M 4000 is the ticket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: