The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help identifying unknown switch on 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Help identifying unknown switch on 25 Reply with quote

Am cleaning electrical wiring and terminal block on a 07 25 ft cdory. On starboard side where batteries are there is a terminal block. With a cover saying house switches. Under it It is on right side of compartment. There are from left to right 4 wires. A yellow one with a yellow fuse. A red one. A unknown object. Has 2 switches about one half x one inches each with two connector posts attached together with a red cable on bottom post Then 2 more red cables
The switch like item is rusted very badly at the connector posts . What is it? So I can get new ones
Wish I could attach a photo. But site will not allow me to do so photo is on my iPhone
Hope that is enough info
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying unknown switch on 25 Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
Am cleaning electrical wiring and terminal block on a 07 25 ft cdory. On starboard side where batteries are there is a terminal block. With a cover saying house switches. Under it It is on right side of compartment. There are from left to right 4 wires. A yellow one with a yellow fuse. A red one. A unknown object. Has 2 switches about one half x one inches each with two connector posts attached together with a red cable on bottom post Then 2 more red cables
The switch like item is rusted very badly at the connector posts . What is it? So I can get new ones
Wish I could attach a photo. But site will not allow me to do so photo is on my iPhone
Hope that is enough info

Yes Wink
text a pict to nine oh seven three nine 4 thirtyfivethirty.
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying unknown switch on 25 Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
jkswor wrote:
Hope that is enough info

Yes Wink
text a pict to nine oh seven three nine 4 thirtyfivethirty.

& west marine catalog on line is a good resource, West Marine in Anc. has been real good about mailing parts & pieces.
jkswor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved/ identified
Thanks
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great place, a great group and great service.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
Problem solved/ identified
Thanks

Something like this might be a better long term solution Thumbs Up [url][/url]
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have identified the essential circuit breaker for the "house" systems of the boat! This should be a reminder to all of us:

1:Yearly go over our wiring, and look for corrosion. Clean and protect with a corrosion block material.

2. Identify and label all wiring, including that under the console.
Identify each fuse and circuit breaker.

3. Make at least a rough wiring diagram, so if there is an "electrical emergency" you can identify where the problem is--particularly if you are underway or anchored in a remote area.

The "fuse" in this area, could be either the Wallas stove, or a bilge pump.

Ask the administrators for a "photo album" and then learn to post photographs. It often speeds the information, and thanks to tsturm for posting and solving the problem!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkswor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traced the hot wire to the dingy winch. So original boat owner had this installed. I like the idea of the switch above. Maybe there were none of these in 07. I have only had this boat since July and am going threw it to clean and update as I go. Boat was not maintained well. When I get finished will be like new
Thanks to all
jkswor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traced the hot wire to the dingy winch. So original boat owner had this installed. I like the idea of the switch above. Maybe there were none of these in 07. I have only had this boat since July and am going threw it to clean and update as I go. Boat was not maintained well. When I get finished will be like new
Thanks to all
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
Thanks to all

They have been around for 40yrs that I can remember, just more expensive & built to be in a damp environment. Good luck on your project, I did the same thing when I acquired my 25 replaced all the green fuzzy wiring etc.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
Thanks to all

This is not really a "switch" made to shut off the circuit--although it will do so. It is a circuit breaker to protect the wiring and boat; and you should have a battery switch, which cuts off all power. (except to the bilge pump, wired directly to the battery, or a main bus.) I guess I am confused by your comment "maybe there were none of those in 07" Was that in reference to the photo which was posted?

As tsturm noted they have been around for a very long time. Similar function and action circuit breakers were used during WWII.

Good on the maintenance!
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
jkswor wrote:
Thanks to all

This is not really a "switch" made to shut off the circuit--although it will do so. It is a circuit breaker to protect the wiring and boat; and you should have a battery switch, which cuts off all power. (except to the bilge pump, wired directly to the battery, or a main bus.) I guess I am confused by your comment "maybe there were none of those in 07" Was that in reference to the photo which was posted?

As tsturm noted they have been around for a very long time. Similar function and action circuit breakers were used during WWII.
Good on the maintenance!

What he had was 2 ea RV/Auto style auto-reset circuit breakers(metal can with 2 #10 studs) in parallel, on 2 pieces of Alu., 1 attached to buss bar through both breakers to Alu. piece #2, with a #6 or#8 lead to some device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: