The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Non-C-Dory Stern Light Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Non-C-Dory Stern Light Question Reply with quote

My wife got a tad tired of waiting for my C-Dory extension to be finished. So she bought an "inexpensive" West Wight Potter 19 that needed work. We've done a lot of re-coring, fiberglassing, and painting, and are finally reassembling the hardware and lighting. The boat came with a 135° stern light mounted on the starboard top of the transom - seen on the right side of the photo above the swim step. It seems to be easily blocked by the tiller handle and outboard toward port. I'd thought about a high-center transom mount - seen below hanging with blue painter's tape - since it appears that it could be seen by all within the USCG-given angle. But I'm not sure. As an alternative, I've been looking for short masted (6-8") "stern" lights, but so far all I've found are all-around lights. Does anyone know of a short mast, transom mount - preferably folding - light with the requisite 135° visibility angle for a stern light? Is there such an animal? Yes, I've been Googling, and Googling with no luck so far.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and congrats on the WWP. I know you can get a stern light on an extendable mast, so that you can leave the light down until you want it on, then raise it and turn it on and it will be about head high or ... depending on which one you get. I think you can find anything from 24 to 48 inch heights. (Measure your clearance up to your boom, so you don't take the top of your light off on the first, and order on just short of that distance.) I'm sure Perko makes them and you can find them at West Marine, OR, they can order it for you.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
First, thanks for the reply to a non-C-Dory topic! Now, are you talking about a true stern light on a mast? I'm not talking about THE mast - where we have an all-around anchor light - just a short stalk on the transom to get the 135° light over the tiller and outboard for full visibility... Just want to make sure we're on the same page. Based on my interpretation of nav. lights, if we're under power or sail at night we need to have a stern light shining rather than an anchor light.
Thanks,
T
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an all around to fit your criteria and use duct tape mask off to the necessary angle. Other options are paint inside the lens.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, OK, you can have a Mast head light that is both anchor and running light, and I don't know which you have. If it was my sail boat I would have the combo, also available from Perko. The combo light will suffice for the 135 light, and then work as an anchor light when you need.

OR yes you can do that with a separate stern light.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Bob. Pull the lens off the light and mask and then spray paint the inside. I have done it for several different thing.
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure would like to see your C-dory completed. Wouldbe so cool.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to typing with 2 hands...The "normal" sailboat will have a white steaming light of 225* forward on the mast. It will also have the 135* aft steaming light. When under sail, the forward steaming light is not shown, but each side light and the stern light are shown.

Thus, an all around light will not be legal for that sailboat--as it maybe in a power boat. Many boats--including some of our C Dories use only the all around light as both a running and anchor light.

On the other hand, a tricolor masthead light cannot be used and be legal on a power boat.

What I cannot understand is why the W Potter would put a stern steaming light of 135* right behind the tiller. I suppose that the theory is that the rudder is removed and steering is only by the outboard. Then when acting as a sailboat--the only light "necessary" is a flashlight. Although this is "legal", it is certainly not the most desirable from a safety standpoint.

What I suspect is that W Potter figured that their sailboats would just use a flashlight when under sail. Does your boat have a forward steaming light on the mast?

Quote:
Sailboats less than 7 meters (22.96 feet) may carry an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light to be displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision.

If practicable, the lights prescribed for sailboats less than 20 meters should be displayed.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, WWP doesn't put their stern light behind the tiller; I wasn't clear that that was my compromise. I thought since the interior reflector was wider than the tiller it could be seen. It looked like the original would be obscured from those on the port side where they had it installed. Having looked again, it appears that the original might just work if it was installed closer to the starboard edge. Need to tie a string to it and move it about the transom extending the string to port past the tiller and outboard to know for certain.
Wish I'd been this much of a newbie 40 years ago... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: