Fuel pickup is clogged in tank. Not Switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemos

State or Province: NS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-You-Later
Photos: C-You-Later
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Fuel pickup is clogged in tank. Not Switch Reply with quote

I figured out that the starboard tank fuel pickup is clogged. so i want to remove the pickup and check it out. Questions:

How do you get the tank covers out? I've been able to slide them to the side, but can"t get them out. Is there some trick, like prying on one side or bending it so you can get it out. I can't get it clear or the floor and the motor well.

To get the fuel pickups out do you have to remove the tanks? Mine are full of gas, and i would rather not deal with tank removal if i don't have to.

Thanks Jim
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Clogged Fuel Tank Pickup Reply with quote

Jim, Before you go to the trouble of removing the fuel tank, disconnect the line at the "fuel selector switch" and check for an obstruction in the line. Finding none, reattach the line to tank and give a quick blast of air into the tank. This should dislodge whatever is preventing fuel from flowing. Report back if neither suggestion works!
petemos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry, that is just what i did and it's clear now. I first tried to pump gas back into the tank via the pickup fitting, but it did not work. blowing air down the line did the trick. Now that i have everything apart, i'm going to change out the fuel lines with new ones as these are over ten years old.

Thanks again.

Jim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have that "crud" back in the tank--you may wonder if there was a pickup screen on the tube, and how much blown back into the tank--plus what is the condition of the other tank....probably blame it all on ethanol!

I would be pulling the tanks, and putting new pickups and tubing--plus cleaning the tanks. You might be able to put solvents into the tanks and dissolve the debris...but that is an unknown.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
petemos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Don't have ethanol in Nova Scotia Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Bob. From what I'm told we don't have ethanol in Nova Scotia gas, at least with high test, which i run. I also drain the tanks ever year hoping it pick up any water that may be in them. The boat is in a garage and there is heat in it in the winter. I'm going to change out the fuel lines and would at some point like to check the tanks, but still can't figure how to get the back covers out to remove the tanks. On my 2007, the floor does not come out and while the cover slides to the side, i can't bend it or pry it to get it to clear the floor and the motor well. The only thing i can think of is to try to cut of 1/4" of the top of the cover off to get it to clear. I only have 150 hrs on the boat so it not like i'm going thru a lot of fuel each year, maybe 20-30 gals if i'm lucky.

So for now i'm just going to put things back in place and play it by ear. I'll now keep a close check on the tanks and see what happens and may try to clean them it place.

Thanks again and have a good winter.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: