The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

window locks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJim

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: window locks Reply with quote

I took delivery of my new 2009 C-22 cruiser and invited a friend along. Two minutes after arriving he had accidentally dislodged the port opening window locking mechanism and dropped it overboard. Any ideas on how to source a new one? Sad
dpod2003

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Window locks Reply with quote

I did the same thing on my 25. I contacted Diamond Sea Glaze, I they sent me a new one. They were very helpful on the phone. It was easy to put on with the instructions given.

Diamond Sea Glaze
26995 Gloucester Way
Langley, B.C.
V4W 3Y3 Canada

Phone: 604.607.0091
Toll Free: 1.800.770.0455
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to deal with their retail store: Here is Adventec store, low profile handle. This is the handle you need.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those handles/locks came stock on Journey On, a 2005 C-Dory 25. Glad to see that they haven't changed, since both of our side window handles have long since disappeared.

That double sided tape is worthless, as you found out. I'd try 3M 5200. You can buy a tube of that at Home Depot for not much. You also might remove the window from the frame by lifting it up and out, which would make applying the 5200 easier. Just make sure you tape around the handle, because removing the excess 5200 is hard.

Boris
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a replacement handle. I installed it with the supplied materials according to the instructions. It did not take long to start coming loose again.

The second attempt at attaching was using the tape and 5200 (the tape holds the latch till the 5200 sets). So far it is still attached well. I did not have to remove the window to install the latch with the 5200.
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, Bob has it right with the site and the item.

However, another option I am using is to order a simple stainless steel $9 'shower door closer' online (measure your window thickness). These are Amazon cheap with Prime delivery without the Customs and Import Duties and Sea Glaze markup (I do admit they make EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD stuff available nowhere else...but it's a window closer, not an autopilot). Glue it on with a $2 tube of Rearview Mirror Epoxy from AutoZone or Amazon.

The Downside is there is no 'latching mechanism' to keep Boat Burglers from prying open your windows from the outside. But hey, anyone with a big screwdriver or a rather small crowbar can break your Sea Glaze latching mechanism in under a minute. OK, under 5 seconds. OK, under 3 seconds. And leave behind a helluva lot more ultimate damage mess than not having a 'latching' window closer in the first place. How often are our boats broken into in marinas? Do we look that rich there?

One may argue, (as she always does, and why do we all call her 'One', anyway?) that the 'latching mechanism' keeps the window from sliding all the back on it's slick tracks everytime we power up on plane.

Get real, the problem we all have is pushing and pulling it through tracks stiff and thick with dirt and rain grime and rubberized silicone we have all sprayed there trying to make the dang windows slide with under 200# of force.

Just consider, it works for us. And we still have several high profile Sea Glaze latches incorrectly shipped for $80 that we can't return due to the Customs fees that you can have cheap. PM me for those.

PS beautiful boating today, 88 degrees (near record high), 5-10k winds, 82 degree water, a Blue Angels practice session screaming overhead, 2.2 MPG @ 3600RPM, 3+ trim and 23-24MPH with 17P 4 blade 13.75 SOLAS alum props. A 1.5 hour beach hike on a Gulf Islands Natl Seashore with a road closure due to road damage from tropical storm. No one else here. It don't git no better than this!

We'll be trailering to Key West in early Dec for 5 weeks.
John
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is even one made by Perko, so it's guarantied "boaty."

https://www.amazon.com/Perko-0954DP0STS-Sliding-Window-Handle/dp/B008Y2LR4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507909801&sr=8-2&keywords=sliding+glass+window+handle

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: