The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

DC Panel Replacement: Any Suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: DC Panel Replacement: Any Suggestions? Reply with quote

I have purchased a 1992 19' CDory. I'm currently going through the DC wiring, straightening up and organizing things. I've found it enjoyable tracing all the old wires, seeing where they connect.

I had hoped to use the old, twenty five year old DC panel, replacing the old toggle switches, fuse holders, and wiring. The panel has an old CDory logo, as well as a Coast Guard sticker, also containing CDory factory info. But the panel is a mess with pealing paint and holes and switches and lettering I don't need.

I doubt I can find a new panel to fit the exact hole (7x9). I would have to get something metal or make something out of wood to cover the hole, then fit a new panel inside it.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Would it be sacrilege to toss the old panel?

This is my forth CDory, having previously owned two 22's and a 16. I get the feeling this might be the right size for me. Thanks

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many shops which can replicate the old panel, with the plastic face, same holes, and engraved lettering--the panel face being black, chartreuse, or what you want etc--and the next layer down--white orange etc.

We have a sign shop in our town which will do this.

Rather than list all of the places which do the panels, just google: Custom made marine switch panels. New Wire Marine is one, Paneltronics is another--there are a bunch.

One of my neighbors has a laser engraver and he makes panels.

I have made my own using acrylic plastic or Starboard. Using a label maker to do the graphics, or a Dremel tool to do the letters.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: dc panel Reply with quote

A new 'custom' panel would be really neat.
I would also advise (if you're not already aware of this) that you should only use Marine UL approved toggle switches, fuses, wiring etc in the marine environment and not just anything from AutoZone.
Blue Sea Systems makes great boating-centric electrical stuff, designed, built,
tested, and tech supported right there in Bellingham, WA with FANTASTIC
friendly and knowlegable tech support a phone call away. Even though you haven't bought a thing from them yet, I bet if you call Tech Support re your toggles and wiring questions they will point you in the right direction and save you all kinds of research and money and grief in the long run. 800.222.7617 to reach customer service Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm Pacific Time.
My boat was built all Blue Sea Systems and so are many other C-Dorys...buy quality the first time, and you'll never be dissapointed!
Happy Wiring!
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: